Bow vs Rifle

We're going with RAM in late August. I'm still torn between taking my bow or rifle. Is there enough cover for using a bow, and is the wind likely going to be too crazy for bow hunting?

Bring 1 or the other, and be happy with it. Both is a PITA. Now if a buddy is going they may have the rifle?

You know how it goes with a bow. Make it work if that’s your goal. But be ready to shoot long distances in adverse weather

Last edited:

Thess87

WKR
Yeah the best advice I got when I went is one or the other. If you bring both you’ll use the rifle. If your worried about coming home with nothing take a rifle. If you don’t care and it’s all about the chase take the bow.

OP
bgalloway01
Thanks guys. My buddy is taking the exact same rifle and scope I use as well. So I'll have a back up if I do decide to go with the bow.

mooster

WKR
Where I was with RAM in 2019 a bow would have been useless. That said if your buddy has a rifle and you carry a bow, then why not use his rifle if you decide late in the hunt that the bow isn’t going to work and you want to take an animal.

That’s how I’ve done my moose hunts last couple years. I tote a bow and partner has rifle. I haven’t shot one either way yet, but I know if I wanted to I could use my buddy’s rifle if I got desperate.

After many years of hunting Alaska, and seeing a lot of dual-weapon hunters....

Every last guy I saw who brought a bow and a gun on a hunt ended up killing with the rifle...even if they didn't really need to. The psychology involved in this is pretty simple and I don't need to explain it. I also have no worries about it as it's not my hunt.

I've been a bowhunter for so many years that I just naturally accept the odds and the challenges without being tempted by a firearm. My bow IS my weapon and that's pretty much where it starts and ends. My average shot distance on multiple caribou is 15 yards, and 12 yards on several moose. That's with a longbow. Though I don't know how to shoot a compound, I'd probably feel like I had double the odds of punching a tag.

If meat and the experience is important bring a.rifle. if you just are in for the experince and meat isnt important bring a bow.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

We're going with RAM in late August. I'm still torn between taking my bow or rifle. Is there enough cover for using a bow, and is the wind likely going to be too crazy for bow hunting?
Almost everytime I see somebody bring both on a hunt, they always use the rifle. Even if your buddy brings a rifle and you bring your bow, you will end up using your buddies rifle. I say ditch the bow and just bring a rifle.

mooster

WKR
Almost everytime I see somebody bring both on a hunt, they always use the rifle. Even if your buddy brings a rifle and you bring your bow, you will end up using your buddies rifle. I say ditch the bow and just bring a rifle.
Bow is also a lot less hassle to bring. No TSA hassle. Lighter. More compact. Let your buddy do all the work.

Yeah the best advice I got when I went is one or the other. If you bring both you’ll use the rifle. If your worried about coming home with nothing take a rifle. If you don’t care and it’s all about the chase take the bow.
Well said

The important thing is to know yourself and honor the things which are most important to you. If a moose kill is absolutely the top priority above all else then I'd see little reason to bring a bow. On the other hand, if you're driven hard by the challenge of hunting with a bow....and if how you kill is maybe even more important than if you kill.... you may well be that guy who goes into the hunt fully committed to the bow.

It's an oft-repeated comparison: A committed fly fisherman accepts that his methods have limits and he'll contend with those regardless. He might catch a bigger trout...and catch it more easily....with heavier tackle, but he won't find satisfaction by compromising his preferred way.

For the record, I have no concerns about the weapon a hunter chooses. I do think it's unfortunate if a man compromises his desires in order to get results, and then has secret regrets about it later.

jhm2023

WKR
I thoroughly enjoy bowhunting and the gratification and experience that goes with it. To me though, I find it more gratifying to have a freezer full of meat and the odds of success are much higher with a rifle. Besides it's still gratifying, to me at least, to take a nice animal with a suppressed rifle using handloads I made and feeding my family wild game instead of store bought junk of questionable origin. I've done the bow and rifle on the same hunt before and I can tell you that it's no fun dealing with the extra stuff. It's one or the other for me. Pick the one you desire the most and that aligns with your priorities and go enjoy your hunt with no regrets. Don't forget to post up pics and the stories after the hunt!

FlyGuy

WKR
I can’t speak from experience with caribou in AK, but I’ve wrestled with the same question on an OIL Moose tag in ID.

One question for you that may help your decision - is this most likely the only caribou trip you’ll make in your lifetime, or do you expect to make a return trip in a few years?

If this is just the first of multiple trips, then I’d say bring the rifle, relax and enjoy the experience. Learn everything you can, Then plan to bring the bow on your second trip in a few years. The decision may be easier once you have experience with a hunt like this.

But, If this is most likely the ONLY time you’ll ever do a hunt like this, then the decision of HOW you take (or don’t take) a bull may factor in a lot heavier?

It did for me. I wanted a moose with my bow in a bad way. But let me tell you, it was STRESSFUL! I had ~ 12 days to hunt the tag before I had to fly back to TX. I went 9 days without even seeing a single moose (of either sex). That was hard! Of all the hunts I’ve ever done I’d say this one was the least enjoyable because I felt so much pressure, and it compounded daily. In the end I did finally locate a nice representative bull for the unit, I called him into about 15 yards, and I put two arrows through him just minutes before dark. I clearly remember feeling an enormous wave of relief washing over me when I put my hands on him for the first time.

It worked out for me in the end. The (absolute, pure) joy of accomplishing my goal of taking a DIY public land moose with my bow more than made up for the stress, anxiety and hardship that lead up to that moment. It’s a cherished memory. I love to think back on the experience And it’s a story I love to tell when anyone is interested in hearing it.

So, like others have said, if this is your ONE chance to hunt caribou, then you just have to decide on what’s more important - coming home with a bull; or how you take the bull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro