Bow vs Muzzy...Feeling torn

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
Went on my first mule deer hunt this year, and it was an archery tag. Actually my first western/out of state hunt ever, and had a great experience. I saw deer several days, saw my first wild bear, and generally can't wait to go back next year for redemption. I was able to get sub 200 on a few deer that I was pleased with but couldn't ever close the gap due to various reasons (inexperience, terrain, wind, being from sea level and not being able to breathe, etc). I should be able to get the same tag next year for a bow or Muzzy, I feel like if I had a ML I would have sealed the deal but at the same time, I don't want feel like I am taking the easy way out. What say you? Get a muzzle loader and tip the odds in my favor or go back for redemption with my bow?

Hnthrdr

WKR
Do what you want. I will say as an archery hunter who occasionally hunts muzzle loader, it’s not always a slam dunk. The years I’ve switched over to the smoke pole, I’ve also had other factors that made it tough, either weather or animals being difficult or what not. Both are fun though.

OP
G

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
Do what you want. I will say as an archery hunter who occasionally hunts muzzle loader, it’s not always a slam dunk. The years I’ve switched over to the smoke pole, I’ve also had other factors that made it tough, either weather or animals being difficult or what not. Both are fun though.
Neither are easy at all. A 200 yard open sights shot with a ML isn't like picking up one of my scoped rifles by any means.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Oh for sure, it’s more like sometimes I think, of if I only had my muzzy I would have killed that herd bull, ie this year when I had a branch deflect an arrow at 10 yards. Then I pick up my muzzy and there are 6 other factors that are making it hard haha. Muzzy is a bit easier than archery hunting for sure though

OP
G

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
Oh for sure, it’s more like sometimes I think, of if I only had my muzzy I would have killed that herd bull, ie this year when I had a branch deflect an arrow at 10 yards. Then I pick up my muzzy and there are 6 other factors that are making it hard haha. Muzzy is a bit easier than archery hunting for sure though
I was about 140 yards away from a group of bucks on the other side of an open (short grass) field...That should have been pretty doable I think. Really thinking about picking one up next year even if it's a cheaper CVA, at least to get my first one down.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Cva makes a solid or at least used to make a solid muzzy. Mine is an older model accura v2 been super pleased with it

OP
G

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
They seem super affordable for a pretty solid gun. I don't doubt there are "better" guns out there (arrowhead etc) but I probably can't shoot the difference anyway.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Yep realistically 150 yards and in, maybe 200 if you practice and really stretch it out, but even with a peep you cover up a lot of the animal at 200 yards with an open sight

It kinda depends on your goals, but it may be worth considering the muzzleloader hunt as a training bridge for getting better skilled at closing the distances in spot-and-stalk hunting, especially if you're out of state and may not be able to do this every season. It's a lot easier to keep trying and learning if you're getting at least some intermittent success, and progressing toward a harder goal over time. Especially if it helps with family support - venison in the freezer through the off-season is a good trade-off in a lot of homes for dad being gone for a week or two. That said, nothing wrong at all with sticking with bowhunting until you crack the codes.

WCB

WKR
I wouldn't be ashamed of using a MZ. I've killed big game animals with Archery, Rifle, Shotgun (slug), and MZ. I've never felt like I took the easy way out. I am generally just as excited/satisfied when the time comes to pack an animal out. In fact I have killed more deer lately with my bow than I have my guns and kind of miss hunting with a gun. I will say I am also more selective with a firearm/MZ than I am with a bow so each present there own challenges.

Just be prepared. If you pick up the MZ you'll probably kill a good buck at like 20yards. Just the way it happens.

mikkel318

Lil-Rokslider
I just returned from my first Muzzy hunt in Nevada and I've archery hunted quite a bit. It was definitely harder to find the deer once they shed and go more solitary. I don't know how much truth there is to the idea that they stay more in the open with velvet because it's sensitive to hit their antlers on brush. It was a challenge to find deer, but the ones we were able to stalk, it was significantly easier to kill. It's fun either way.