Bow upgrade 2023

DanimalW

WKR
I agree on the incremental increase in performance. I was overdue on a new bow as my old one needed rebuilt from a hard life so it didn't bother me much but I don't understand these guys that have to buy a new bow every year. They were all so close in specs and performance you really have to shoot the heck out of them to decide which one to p
Don’t get me wrong, I love the RX7 Ultra. I just really liked the Experience too, but you start getting nervous taking a 10 year old bow on a hunt that cost $1000 for the tag. Shot new bows the year prior, and nothing felt great. Did the same last year, and the Hoyt just felt right. Bows are kind of like hunting boots. They’re real personal.

cuttingedge

Lil-Rokslider
I shot the bowtech SS34 today - that thing felt great! I typically shoot 60# draw weight but this one was set at 70#. It drew smoother at 70# than the phase 4 at 65#. I am assuming the 70# bow can be dialed in to 65# draw weight - is that correct? I might try and shoot a Hoyt and a PSE as well but this SS34 felt really good. Maybe it is because I am coming from a bowtech already...
There have been some issues with serving separation where the cable goes around the hub of the cams on the SS34. It is a great shooting bow, but just be aware they may have some kinks to work out with the new cam design.

I ended up buying the Revex 4 from Prime. I did not expect to like the bow when I shot it. A couple of days later it went home with me. The more I shoot it, the more impressed I am with it. It is less than 1 decibel louder than the Phase 4, only 2 fps slower, and has a much more forgiving draw cycle. The grip is in the center of the riser which makes the bow feel better balanced and not top heavy.

I am not a brand loyal guy. I shoot what impresses me. The Revex is Prime's best bow to date in my opinion.

OP
180splitg3
There have been some issues with serving separation where the cable goes around the hub of the cams on the SS34. It is a great shooting bow, but just be aware they may have some kinks to work out with the new cam design.

I ended up buying the Revex 4 from Prime. I did not expect to like the bow when I shot it. A couple of days later it went home with me. The more I shoot it, the more impressed I am with it. It is less than 1 decibel louder than the Phase 4, only 2 fps slower, and has a much more forgiving draw cycle. The grip is in the center of the riser which makes the bow feel better balanced and not top heavy.

I am not a brand loyal guy. I shoot what impresses me. The Revex is Prime's best bow to date in my opinion.
I shot the Prime RevX 6 today and I think it's going to be the one I buy. It really has a great feel. I shot about 6 different bows and I liked it the most. It was not even on my radar really as I was planning on going with a Matthew's - really nice shooting bow!

cuttingedge

Lil-Rokslider
I shot the Prime RevX 6 today and I think it's going to be the one I buy. It really has a great feel. I shot about 6 different bows and I liked it the most. It was not even on my radar really as I was planning on going with a Matthew's - really nice shooting bow!
Honestly, I don't even want to shoot my Elite Kure anymore, and I loved that bow until I got the Revex 4. I am now pondering how to end up with another Revex 4 without profusely bleeding cash lol.

Don't be surprised if you like the draw cycle on the bowtech better than the matthews. Every bow company has a slightly different take on draw cycle and once you get used to one that tends to just "feel better". I've shot Hoyt's for years so whenever I go try different bows the draw cycle for anything other than a Hoyt feels alien to me. I am VERY confident that I would get used to the other bows draw cycle quickly after you get some reps in, so I think it's probably the least important factor when looking at new bows. Unless you are really struggling with drawing a bow back I think it's more important to focus on the things that actually affect your ability to shoot accurately and kill critters: Grip angle/feel, vibration, and noise.

That's my philosophy on it for whatever it's worth...which isn't much!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
This was 100% what just recently happened to me. I currently shoot (and love) my v3x33. Came from a Bowtech revolt x. I enjoyed my revolt x, had a great smooth cycle, good hold and I shot it well, and it is now my backup bow. I changed because the riser length of the v3x was much longer and created a more stable hold for me. But at the time I felt the draw cycle of the mathews was just a little step backward. Felt "stiff". I shot it 70lbs 85% for awhile then tried 65lbs 80% mods and it made a big difference. The 80% mods smoothed the transition into the valley (at least for my perception.) I have 75lb 80% mods and I'm going to pick up 70lb 80% mods as well.

But recently I pulled out the revolt x to shoot again to keep familiar with it incase of failure with my V3x. The revolt felt really terrible to me! Especially compared to my V3x. Felt like it was pulling 75lbs or more (it's set at 70 on comfort). It just didn't feel good at all, to the point I am for sure going to sell it and buy a different backup bow. So I agree with bsnedeker, you will get used to a type of draw over time. I'm sure if I just went back to shooting the revolt I'd like it again.

That being said I have shot and enjoyed Elite (energy 35), PSE (carbon air 34, 2016 model), the bowtech revolt x and the mathews as mentioned already. As someone has already said the Evolve cam on the PSE is really nice and I can recommend it. As you can tell I'm not a "brand" guy. The hoyt rx7 ultra looks great, but it is $$$$!

You can by the dovetail bar for your BG ascent and it'll work for the bridgelock in the new mathews that's what I did with my BG custom sight.

Good luck in your bow shopping!

OP
180splitg3
Hey guys. Just wanted to update the thread. Bought the Prime Revex 6 - hopefully it was the right choice! It feels great so far...20230314_165206.jpg

OP
180splitg3
Im looking at revex six but my current is a prime ion which is compact.. any updates?
Nothing to report really. I still like the Revex 6 and it shoots great - haven't been able to get a turkey in range yet to test it out!

cuttingedge

Lil-Rokslider
Im looking at revex six but my current is a prime ion which is compact.. any updates?
If you get a chance to shoot the Revex 4, give it a go. It's a great shooting bow. I have the Revex 2 now, and I like it, but it's definitely stiffer to draw at the same poundage.

MattB

WKR
I would really suggest shooting as many bows as you can to really decide on what you want. I am really glad I did. I was about to order a Phase four without shooting it.
Quoting this for emphasis. Go shoot a bunch of bows and see which one you like best. It seems lie, unless it is really like your current bow most guys find out the bow they like best wasn't #1 on their list or even on their radar screen.

TheHammer

WKR
Don’t get me wrong, I love the RX7 Ultra. I just really liked the Experience too, but you start getting nervous taking a 10 year old bow on a hunt that cost $1000 for the tag. Shot new bows the year prior, and nothing felt great. Did the same last year, and the Hoyt just felt right. Bows are kind of like hunting boots. They’re real personal.
I had a similar thought process until my carbon levitate exploded. Back to my 2013 elite hunter for this season. This bow has been fantastic. I have not shot much that has made me want to switch, until the levitate… this elite has been very reliable and has lived it’s life above 82lbs for 10 years. 2 annual trips to the archery shop for tune ups/ occasional string.

Keep your old bow as a backup bow, then find what fits you. I wish Mathews still made the traverse or vertix. The newer bows received a more ambitious draw cycle. IMO, I’d find a used Traverse if you can find one. Those were fine bows!

Funny you mention this. I went from the exact same bow you had to the exact same one you bought. Love the new bow, but it’s only incrementally better imo.
I'd still be shooting my experience too if the limbs didn't break twice already haha