Bow upgrade 2023

Hey guys. I have been out of the loop for a couple years regarding bow technology and have a few questions...

I have had my eye on a V3x 33 and am thinking about upgrading my current bow. Anyone have positive or negative experiences with this bow? I am shooting a Bowtech reign 6 right now and it is fine but I am looking to make a change. I see that Matthews has a new model (phase 4). I am guessing there is not much difference between this and a V3x but I don't know. It also looks like a lot of the new bows have different mounting options for the rest and sight which looks pretty cool. If I want to keep some of my accessories, can I still mount my old style accessories to a V3x or do I have to use the integrate system (or whatever it's called)? I am just trying to gain a little background knowledge before I go to some shops to start looking. My sight is a black gold ascent verdict - it looks like they sell an adapter for this sight to use with the new style riser mount system - I am not sure this will work on a Matthews or not though.

Anyone know the approximate trade in value for a BT reign 6? Am I better off to try to sell the Reign 6 here on the forum?

Thanks for the help/advice!

Your rest and sight will still work. The newer Mathews still have two 10-24 threaded sight mounting holes and a 5/16-24 threaded Berger hole machined into the riser. You don’t have to use the Bridgelock slot or Integrate rail.

Like Mighty mouse stated, all your old stuff will work. Limbs are different on the phase 4 and it has more Mathews specific bridgelock mounting points for stabs primarily (although all the old style mounting points are still there) I know a lot of guys love Mathews, but don't discount the other brands either. I looked really hard at a Bowtech SS34. Elite dropped a new bow this year, as well as many other brands. I am kind of a Prime guy (although I've had a few Mathews bows too) and ended up picking up a heavily discounted Inline 5 from 2022. I am lucky our dealer carries most of the major brands so it's easy to try them out. That said I picked up my bow online as the dealer didn't have the combo I wanted, but bought all the accessories locally from him(which cost more than the bow) Don't worry, most dealers want you to shoot the bow that is right for you. They all cost about the same any more anyway. Buy the Mathews if it fits you, not just because it says Mathews on the limbs...(Nothing against them. I like their stuff. Other bows just fit me better)

WCOPP

FNG
I was in the same boat this year with a 10 year old Bowtech Experience. I was really liking the looks and tech of the Matthews Phase four so I went into my local shop and shot one. I hated it and I know I'll get a lot of crap for dogging on a Matthews but I hated the draw cycle on it. So I ended up shooting every bow the shop had and came home with a Hoyt RX7 Ultra with all the goodies.

I would really suggest shooting as many bows as you can to really decide on what you want. I am really glad I did. I was about to order a Phase four without shooting it.

All of the inline or integrate accessories on either bow are awesome! I truly think if you are buying one of the new bows with those options you should really look into the accessories. I thought about using some of my old gear on my new bow but as I researched I really like have everything integrated into the bow. Good luck

Attachments

• IMG_4769.jpg
    IMG_4769.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 77
Only thing I'd say with Mathews is shoot the 80% mods, they are a lot smoother to me anyways. Plus they tend to be 1/2" long, which is getting more and more common across all brands, but you might try it 1/2" shorter than what you think you normally shoot.
Hopefully shop will check your current bow on a drawboard, then setup whichever bows you are looking at the same.

No idea what your trade in would be, but keep in mind shipping costs if selling and shipping, wide range of prices on that so shop around.

Only thing I'd say with Mathews is shoot the 80% mods, they are a lot smoother to me anyways.

Never thought about that.. I have a Phase 4 with 85% mods ordered, but I might have to try with the 80s and see if I notice much difference.

Never thought about that.. I have a Phase 4 with 85% mods ordered, but I might have to try with the 80s and see if I notice much difference.

I definitely prefer them. It does away with the dump on the back end. Seems smoother all the way through because of it.

But I prefer lower letoff. Wish they made a 70 or 75%, I'm contemplating altering my mods just for it. Cause it's a bitch to twist cables on, tho might use shorter yokes instead.

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
What made you decide to upgrade to the Phase 4 from the V3X?
It was the V3, not the X, although they are for all intents and purposes the same performance wise. I originally wasn't going to upgrade until I shot the Phase4 29 side by side with my V3 27 set up at the same weight, DL, and letoff. I felt that the 2" longer riser held a bit better and the P4 was (to my ears) noticeably quieter.

That said, I'll be into the P4 for not much more than I can sell my V3 for so it is close to an even Steven's swap.

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
I absolutely love my V3x. No complaints, but I would shoot as many different bows as you can. Base it on your preference and feel, not what looks nicest or is trendy

Luked

WKR
Love my V3X 33
To each their own. I have had zero issues out of mine.
Go shoot as many as you can. You will find one that will speak to you the most. Then get that one.

OP
180splitg3
Hey guys - an update here. Went and shot the phase 4 - it shot pretty well. I honestly felt that the draw cycle of my reign 6 is a little nicer. The phase 4 is so dead in the hand as far as vibration though. I asked about the 80% mods and the guy said most of the people in his shop who have tried them have liked the 85% better. He said it is because the string wants to launch more at full draw with the 80% mods - I don't know. I will probably go shoot a bowtech and maybe an elite as well this next week...

Last edited:

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider
I have 85% and 80% mods for my V3 27. My experience with them is the 80% is a much more smoother draw. With that said, at over 70lbs the 80% mods are way jumpier than the 85%. The bow wants to go, I prefer the 85% because it holds on target better, I shoot an index and am not concerned or worried about pulling through a shot in a hunting situation.

bsnedeker

WKR
Hey guys - an update here. Went and shot the phase 4 - it shot pretty well. I honestly felt that the draw cycle of my reign 6 is a little nicer. The phase 4 is so dead in the hand as far as vibration though. I asked about the 80% mods and the guy said most of the people in his shop who have tried them have liked the 85% better. He said it is because the string wants to launch more at full draw with the 80% mods - I don't know. I will probably go shoot a bowtech and maybe an elite as well this next week...
Don't be surprised if you like the draw cycle on the bowtech better than the matthews. Every bow company has a slightly different take on draw cycle and once you get used to one that tends to just "feel better". I've shot Hoyt's for years so whenever I go try different bows the draw cycle for anything other than a Hoyt feels alien to me. I am VERY confident that I would get used to the other bows draw cycle quickly after you get some reps in, so I think it's probably the least important factor when looking at new bows. Unless you are really struggling with drawing a bow back I think it's more important to focus on the things that actually affect your ability to shoot accurately and kill critters: Grip angle/feel, vibration, and noise.

That's my philosophy on it for whatever it's worth...which isn't much!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

DanimalW

WKR
I was in the same boat this year with a 10 year old Bowtech Experience. I was really liking the looks and tech of the Matthews Phase four so I went into my local shop and shot one. I hated it and I know I'll get a lot of crap for dogging on a Matthews but I hated the draw cycle on it. So I ended up shooting every bow the shop had and came home with a Hoyt RX7 Ultra with all the goodies.

I would really suggest shooting as many bows as you can to really decide on what you want. I am really glad I did. I was about to order a Phase four without shooting it.

All of the inline or integrate accessories on either bow are awesome! I truly think if you are buying one of the new bows with those options you should really look into the accessories. I thought about using some of my old gear on my new bow but as I researched I really like have everything integrated into the bow. Good luck
Funny you mention this. I went from the exact same bow you had to the exact same one you bought. Love the new bow, but it’s only incrementally better imo.

OP
180splitg3
I shot the bowtech SS34 today - that thing felt great! I typically shoot 60# draw weight but this one was set at 70#. It drew smoother at 70# than the phase 4 at 65#. I am assuming the 70# bow can be dialed in to 65# draw weight - is that correct? I might try and shoot a Hoyt and a PSE as well but this SS34 felt really good. Maybe it is because I am coming from a bowtech already...

WCOPP

FNG
Funny you mention this. I went from the exact same bow you had to the exact same one you bought. Love the new bow, but it’s only incrementally better imo.
I agree on the incremental increase in performance. I was overdue on a new bow as my old one needed rebuilt from a hard life so it didn't bother me much but I don't understand these guys that have to buy a new bow every year. They were all so close in specs and performance you really have to shoot the heck out of them to decide which one to buy.