Bow String Derailed

Never had this happen before. The string on the top cam derailed after I released a shot. Arrow nock was fully seated on the string. Only thing that changed from yesterday is a different nock and hand release. Any ideas? FML

Luked

WKR
Done it once.
More than likely its due to you torquing the bow with a release that is new to you.
Thats what mine was.
Had bought a new to me release and was about half way through my draw and I just torqued it wrong and it derailed.
Mine was a Mathews Triax, which are a little known to derail as the cam groves for the string are pretty shallow.
I would check it over close. Mine had a small spot on the cam that got damaged but was away from the string so it didnt cause any issues to the bow. But I would have it checked out to be sure.

OP
GreenMachine92
Done it once.
More than likely its due to you torquing the bow with a release that is new to you.
Thats what mine was.
Had bought a new to me release and was about half way through my draw and I just torqued it wrong and it derailed.
Mine was a Mathews Triax, which are a little known to derail as the cam groves for the string are pretty shallow.
I would check it over close. Mine had a small spot on the cam that got damaged but was away from the string so it didnt cause any issues to the bow. But I would have it checked out to be sure.
I was thinking that too. But in this instance the string derailed after I released the shot, not on the draw. I am going to need a new cam for sure.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-03 at 9.27.44 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-03 at 9.27.44 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 55

Luked

WKR
Im still betting a torquing issue.
Looks like a Mathews also correct?

Luked

WKR
It sucks I get it.
When changing releases i go really slow for a while to make sure I dont put any torque in the bow after I derailed mine.

When mine derailed The arrow went maybe 5ft in front of me and stuck in the ground.
It took me a bit to realize what I had just done.
Had no issues with the arrow at all....still shooting it today.

OP
GreenMachine92
That's weird.

I have had nocks break, and it sounds like a dryfire. Also seen shafts damaged on the back and the nock peels out.

I'd guess you were really torquing it or something slipped in between the cam and the string before you fired.
speaking of nocks breaking. Over the past week I have been breaking lighted nocks (2) which is why I switched nocks today. Everything about the shot felt good..until I got slapped by the string and heard a loud crack

speaking of nocks breaking. Over the past week I have been breaking lighted nocks (2) which is why I switched nocks today. Everything about the shot felt good..until I got slapped by the string and heard a loud crack

Nocks are frequently overlooked. Easy to damage, and in my experience some are just junk anyways.

Some colors will show damage better than others. If shooting groups, it's something to keep a close eye on.

Riplip

WKR
Same thing happened to me this year in NM, but it was on a a bull at 35 yards. I had a damaged nock on my arrow. Cam had similar damage to your picture and arrow performed the same. Scared the crap out of me, the very nice 6x6 just stared at me and walked away. Hoyt Rx7 Ultra.

Willing to admit I had the same thing happen to me years ago. Had a new release and not alot of archery experience and still believe it was a torque issue due to not following a specific shot process and the new release. It was a tension release and i'd only shot trigger releases for hunting up until that point. It was an Elite E35 bow and wrapped the cam around a limb and ruined the limbs. Replaced cams and limbs and learned a valuable lesson as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240204_132207_Dropbox.jpg
    Screenshot_20240204_132207_Dropbox.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20240204_132211_Dropbox.jpg
    Screenshot_20240204_132211_Dropbox.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20240204_132156_Dropbox.jpg
    Screenshot_20240204_132156_Dropbox.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 19
OP
GreenMachine92
Took it to the shop today, bow tech thinks the nock was not fully seated. So far I'm out like $300 :/

Marble

WKR
Took it to the shop today, bow tech thinks the nock was not fully seated. So far I'm out like $300 :/
How is the nock fit with new nocks? Are they different new or just replacing what you were already using?

$300 is painful. That include a new string, cam and some axles?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
GreenMachine92
How is the nock fit with new nocks? Are they different new or just replacing what you were already using?

$300 is painful. That include a new string, cam and some axles?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
I was using nockturnal nocks, but as stated before for some reason they were cracking right down the middle of the nock from the throat. I shoot the same arrow when at home and found it odd I broke 2 nocks in 2 weeks. This just started happening.I switched to Easton X Nock and they fit tighter on my gas strings than the nockturnals.

I never posted my specs but here they are

Mathews V3X 33
28.5 DL
75# DW
80 LO

Arrow:
Victory RIP TKO
250 spine
around 520 grains TAW (around 510 with new nocks)
200 grains upfront

$300 is just for the labor and new top cam :/

Marble

WKR
I was using nockturnal nocks, but as stated before for some reason they were cracking right down the middle of the nock from the throat. I shoot the same arrow when at home and found it odd I broke 2 nocks in 2 weeks. This just started happening.I switched to Easton X Nock and they fit tighter on my gas strings than the nockturnals.

I never posted my specs but here they are

Mathews V3X 33
28.5 DL
75# DW
80 LO

Arrow:
Victory RIP TKO
250 spine
around 520 grains TAW (around 510 with new nocks)
200 grains upfront

$300 is just for the labor and new top cam :/
I have ruined my serving and partially dry fired my bow because of damaged nocks. Often times you cannot see the damage. Sometimes you will feel one go on the string easier than another. In those cases, I replace the nock every time.

When nocking an arrow, I always cringe when I see people grab the arrow and nock it while holding the middle of the shaft. They never test the nock before putting it on. The best practice is index and squeeze that nock every time by pushing the arrow through the rest, squeezing the nock and clicking it on the string. I have squeezed nocks prior to placing them on the string and felt the nock was damaged. By using the nock end, you will also get a quick visual of the vanes and see if one is damaged or falling off.

Make sure they check (or just replace, they cost nothing) the axles. Sometimes, if there are bushings or spacers between the cam and the limb, they can be damaged also. They need to be thoroughly inspected when the bow is torn down..