Bow sight

RedSnow

Lil-Rokslider
I really like black gold sights. They are top notch and very durable. I've always had good luck with mine.

entropy

FNG
Another advantage of the ezv with elk hunting is you can draw before you see the elk or more importantly, they see you. I screwed it up before by getting busted while I was trying to range and then dial. How many times does the elk move after you ranged them the first time? Just thinking of it makes me start to sweat.
Well, if it's within 60 yards, I don't have that problem with my SH; I've got a 5 pin Fast Eddie with the 60 pin set up as my floater. My BG is a 3 pin slider, so it's good to 40 or 45, depending on how I set the pins up. I like sliders for the ability to shoot farther than fixed pins allow, but I also like to be able to shoot most distances without moving the sight.

However, you do still have to range with pins.... I've been elk hunting three times, haven't put one down yet, but I was at full draw on a raghorn in Idaho two years ago. Let him walk because I didn't like the shot... partially because I wasn't sure exactly how far away he was. The ezv might have made a difference, although not knowing the distance was only one of the complicating factors that day.

rclouse79

WKR
Well, if it's within 60 yards, I don't have that problem with my SH; I've got a 5 pin Fast Eddie with the 60 pin set up as my floater. My BG is a 3 pin slider, so it's good to 40 or 45, depending on how I set the pins up. I like sliders for the ability to shoot farther than fixed pins allow, but I also like to be able to shoot most distances without moving the sight.

However, you do still have to range with pins.... I've been elk hunting three times, haven't put one down yet, but I was at full draw on a raghorn in Idaho two years ago. Let him walk because I didn't like the shot... partially because I wasn't sure exactly how far away he was. The ezv might have made a difference, although not knowing the distance was only one of the complicating factors that day.
It feels like I am selling this thing pretty hard, although I am just trying to share my experience for those who have some interest in the concept of the sight. As far as "accessories" go, it has been my biggest game changer in terms of hunting confidence, and second place isn't close.
A couple years ago I watched an episode from a guy who puts out a youtube series about elk hunting. If you asked people who is the Michael Jordan of elk hunting and elk calling is, my guess is his name would be on the short list. On one particular episode he ranged an elk around 30 yards and then it moved to what he speculated to be 35 yards later. He ended up wounding and not recovering the bull. It seems that elk hunting is his life, and I would guess he is more proficient than the average bow hunter.
After seeing him botch the shot after misjudging the range I decided to get honest with myself. I felt like I was pretty good at shooting dots at ten yard increments with the corresponding pin. My gap shooting was not great. I would not have the confidence to pull the trigger on an elk based on my brains range finding skills. The majority of encounters I have had would not lend themselves to ranging and then drawing without spooking the elk. When I have been within a stone's throw of a 600-pound raging beast my brain operates far below normal efficiency.
If I were able to accurately judge distance to an elk and gap shoot effectively based on that estimation, I would have a multi pin slider. Based on personal experience, I would not have confidence with that setup based on my own personal limitations. I don't consider myself a great elk hunter, although I love doing it. Things can still go wrong with the ezv, but I feel like with enough quality practice muscle memory can take over during the moment of truth giving me less to think about, resulting in more confidence.
For those who have never heard of this thing and want some ideal of how it works, make a V with your finger and hold it eye level. Back up from a door until the door fits just inside the V. Keep backing away while focusing on keeping the door framed between your fingers. You will find you naturally are raising your arm without thinking. The sight operates similar to this, with the elk vitals taking the place of the door.

rclouse79

WKR
I was just thinking how cool a single pin slider inside of the ezv bracket would be. Use the V for close shots and the pin for longer shots where you had the time and cover to range and dial. (Sorry if I hijacked this post, I am done now)

I've kind of stayed out of this one and just read along. Interesting sight. I kind of went somewhat traditional although the sight just hit the market a year ago. It is pricey but I went with a 3 pin Axcel Landslyde. Kind of the best of both worlds. Fixed pins for 20, 30 and 40 yards and the ability, like other sights mentioned, to slide for longer shots. I kind of bought it with more target archery in mind, but I've beat up an Axcel Armortech for 12 years in the mountains with no issues. Have been wanting to try the slider for a long time and finally pulled the trigger on it.

OP
M

Mauro2022

FNG
It feels like I am selling this thing pretty hard, although I am just trying to share my experience for those who have some interest in the concept of the sight. As far as "accessories" go, it has been my biggest game changer in terms of hunting confidence, and second place isn't close.
A couple years ago I watched an episode from a guy who puts out a youtube series about elk hunting. If you asked people who is the Michael Jordan of elk hunting and elk calling is, my guess is his name would be on the short list. On one particular episode he ranged an elk around 30 yards and then it moved to what he speculated to be 35 yards later. He ended up wounding and not recovering the bull. It seems that elk hunting is his life, and I would guess he is more proficient than the average bow hunter.
After seeing him botch the shot after misjudging the range I decided to get honest with myself. I felt like I was pretty good at shooting dots at ten yard increments with the corresponding pin. My gap shooting was not great. I would not have the confidence to pull the trigger on an elk based on my brains range finding skills. The majority of encounters I have had would not lend themselves to ranging and then drawing without spooking the elk. When I have been within a stone's throw of a 600-pound raging beast my brain operates far below normal efficiency.
If I were able to accurately judge distance to an elk and gap shoot effectively based on that estimation, I would have a multi pin slider. Based on personal experience, I would not have confidence with that setup based on my own personal limitations. I don't consider myself a great elk hunter, although I love doing it. Things can still go wrong with the ezv, but I feel like with enough quality practice muscle memory can take over during the moment of truth giving me less to think about, resulting in more confidence.
For those who have never heard of this thing and want some ideal of how it works, make a V with your finger and hold it eye level. Back up from a door until the door fits just inside the V. Keep backing away while focusing on keeping the door framed between your fingers. You will find you naturally are raising your arm without thinking. The sight operates similar to this, with the elk vitals taking the place of the door.
I see where you are coming from. I guess is just a matter of trying it out. Perhaps I can find someone who’s willing to sell it for less than what it would cost brand new. Thank you.

OP
M

Mauro2022

FNG
Ok, say the animal is 30 yards away and it is standing broadside, the size of vitals according to the inventor are somewhat the size of a basketball, so you make the imaginary basketball fit inside the V bracket where the outline of the basketball is barely touching the inside of the V and it turns out to be at the 30 yrds tick marks and you shoot. Okay, I get that. Now, what about when the animal is in a quartering away position? He could be standing the same 30 yrds away from you but now the vitals seem to be of a smaller size because of his position, so you lift up your bow a little bit in order to make the vitals fit inside the V bracket, let’s say now the vitals fit between the 30 and the 40 yrds tick marks, now you think the animal is standing 35 yrds out when it’s actually 30 yrds away, you shoot high. Am I missing something here? Thanks

rclouse79

WKR
In my experience it wasn't something I felt like I mastered right away or have even mastered yet. I have improved with it to the point I feel more confident with it than pins for the majority of situations I expect to encounter while elk hunting. The app in the pictures can be downloaded on your phone and helps when you are just getting started. You can adjust arrow speed in the app until it seems to match what you are seeing in real life. You can practice framing the vitals at any distance and angle, including frontal shots. After you shoot the app shows you a 3d view of your arrows path through the internal organs. I also spent a lot of time at odd hours at the 3d range shooting from different angles when no one else was around.

1675718576481.png
1675718623202.png

rclouse79

WKR
Ok, say the animal is 30 yards away and it is standing broadside, the size of vitals according to the inventor are somewhat the size of a basketball, so you make the imaginary basketball fit inside the V bracket where the outline of the basketball is barely touching the inside of the V and it turns out to be at the 30 yrds tick marks and you shoot. Okay, I get that. Now, what about when the animal is in a quartering away position? He could be standing the same 30 yrds away from you but now the vitals seem to be of a smaller size because of his position, so you lift up your bow a little bit in order to make the vitals fit inside the V bracket, let’s say now the vitals fit between the 30 and the 40 yrds tick marks, now you think the animal is standing 35 yrds out when it’s actually 30 yrds away, you shoot high. Am I missing something here? Thanks
Sorry, I replied to your post in the previous one, but didn't hit the reply button.

CB4

WKR
Thank you.
I ordered a openbox black gold from them a month or so ago. the code "rockslide" or "rockslide10" gets you an additional 10% off. But the sight was in perfect condition, and shipped the same day I ordered. I will admit this is the 3rd sight I have bought from them. The other two were custom orders.

CB4

WKR
Also check ebay or call in podium archery they sell a lot of used sights on ebay. Its Josh Jones' shop out in Spokane, WA

N2TRKYS

WKR
That v bowsight deal never looked intriguing to me. I love the simplicity of my single pin HHA. I’m 0-40 yards(with my 60lbs mods) and never move my sight or hold off the animal. I love it and doubt I’ll ever go back to a multi pin sight again.

nphunter

WKR
I like multi-pin sights, I’ve ranged 2 of my last 6 bulls I’ve killed. I love my slider sights but have only actually slid the sight for 1 elk and 1 mule deer, the rest have been killed using one of my 5 pins.
IMO single pins do not work well for elk hunting, at least the type I do where I am running around on the ground in thick cover with the elk. To often you see them and then they pop back out like 20 or 30 yards further away, then closer and so on and so forth. Multiple pins make a quick shot much easier, if you need to range no big deal, but adjusting and ranging takes too much time and I’ve watched many opportunities missed due to single pin sights.
As for the EZV IMO they are not for western hunting. If you hit an animal at 30 and you pull your shot and hit back and the animal runs out and stops at 60-80 yards now what? Spray and Pray? A multi-pin or even single pin slider you just take your time, get a good range, hold on the spot and execute a clean follow up shot. Stalking close enough for a shot could bump that animal and you may never find it, also if your follow up shot is at a weird angle, on a laying down animal or through a small window through brush how do you make that without a pin to put on the spot you want to hit? Maybe they work well for some when they make perfect shots but I’ve seen a lot of excellent bow hunters have to make follow up shots and have had a few myself.

As far as brand I’m a huge CBE fan, I own or have owned a couple HHA, Axcel and CBE’s, and prefer CBE to all of the ones I’ve tried. The new Treks are awesome, I planned upgrading my CBE Tek Hybrid with am Excel 5 pin slider and after testing it out on my bow it went on eBay and I ordered a Trek Pro the same day my Axcel arrived. I’ve been shooting Tek Hybrids and have been since 2014. My backup bow has a HHA but now that I replace the Hybrid it will be moving to the backup / spare bow. My wife and kids all have CBE sights on their bows as well.

The new canyon pounder is a do it all sight for sure. I can get about 150~ yards with it on the range with my 525gr hunting setup. It costs a pretty penny but it's every bit as durable as the spot hogg with MUCH less weight. I love mine.

OP
M

Mauro2022

FNG
Is that the brand’s name or the model? Never heard of it but I’ll check it out. Thank you.