Bow sight

Mauro2022

FNG
Hi, I’m thinking of getting a newer/better bow sight. I have been looking at black gold brand but don’t now which one to get. I do know I’d like to have 3-5 pins (4 being ideal) and slider for those longer/follow up shots. I do have a short draw length (27”) shooting a 453 grain arrow going 271 fps at 65#. Looking for recommendations. Thank you in advance.

JStol5

WKR
HHA tetra or tetra max 4 pin. I shoot one and love it. Slightly pricey but their CS and warranty is pretty much impossible to beat. I am a customer for life.

entropy

FNG
I've had two Black Golds and a Spot Hogg. I really like them both, but between them it depends on what's worth more to you. BG pins are brighter IMO, and their sights are a lot lighter. However, I also managed to break one of the BGs when I took a header over an unseen rock in Oregon... and I am 99% sure the SH would not have broken under the same circumstances. It's heavy, but it's built like a tank.

If you want a slider, I personally like SH's system for determining which sight tape you need better than BG's. I wound up actually using a modified version of SH's method on the BG.

rclouse79

WKR
If you give hunting elk more weight than target shooting, the ezv bow sight is worth a look. It is not for everyone and it seems like the vast majority of people are not even interested in giving it a try. Knowing I had the confidence to put an arrow into the vitals at any distance out to 45 yards without the use of a range finder lifted a giant weight off my shoulders. No more ranging all of the sticks and logs where an elk might pop out and trying to remember them during the moment of truth. I describe it as instinctive shooting with training wheels. Additionally, when shooting a dot at 50 yards my groups were just as good or better than with my old single pin slider. An unobstructed view of the spot you have picked is awesome.

I have had good luck with HHA and Spot hogg. currently using spot hogg double pins on both my bows. the one black gold i had the dial stripped and it wouldn't move and I had to send it in. would not recommend.

OP
M

Mauro2022

FNG
If you give hunting elk more weight than target shooting, the ezv bow sight is worth a look. It is not for everyone and it seems like the vast majority of people are not even interested in giving it a try. Knowing I had the confidence to put an arrow into the vitals at any distance out to 45 yards without the use of a range finder lifted a giant weight off my shoulders. No more ranging all of the sticks and logs where an elk might pop out and trying to remember them during the moment of truth. I describe it as instinctive shooting with training wheels. Additionally, when shooting a dot at 50 yards my groups were just as good or better than with my old single pin slider. An unobstructed view of the spot you have picked is awesome.
Yeah! A long time ago I read about the ezv sight, I saw the videos and it’s a sight built for hunters, no ranging necessary which seems interesting. Like you said, people, including myself tend to follow trends etc. I’ll give it another look, thank you.

rclouse79

WKR
Yeah! A long time ago I read about the ezv sight, I saw the videos and it’s a sight built for hunters, no ranging necessary which seems interesting. Like you said, people, including myself tend to follow trends etc. I’ll give it another look, thank you.
I know the owner gives a 30 day money back guarantee so you can give one a try. If you join the facebook group, there are usually ones up for sale for around $100.
For my style of hunting, I came to the conclusion that the positives outweigh the negatives. I also found that I enjoyed practicing more after getting the ezv.

Black Gold Mountain Lite 5 pin, customize it however you want through S&S. If you are using a bridgelock, go with the BG Streamline. I prefer the 2" big dog housing and even with that, I shoot 450 @78# and 27" and I can get to 125-130 on my floater pin. Run it with the ML3 base, or the dovetail all the way in.

OP
M

Mauro2022

FNG
I've had two Black Golds and a Spot Hogg. I really like them both, but between them it depends on what's worth more to you. BG pins are brighter IMO, and their sights are a lot lighter. However, I also managed to break one of the BGs when I took a header over an unseen rock in Oregon... and I am 99% sure the SH would not have broken under the same circumstances. It's heavy, but it's built like a tank.

If you want a slider, I personally like SH's system for determining which sight tape you need better than BG's. I wound up actually using a modified version of SH's method on the BG.
I know the owner gives a 30 day money back guarantee so you can give one a try. If you join the facebook group, there are usually ones up for sale for around $100.
For my style of hunting, I came to the conclusion that the positives outweigh the negatives. I also found that I enjoyed practicing more after getting the ezv.
Good to know, thanks again. It seems like a aim and shoot without ranging in advance type of sight. Like you said takes away having to range trees, tree stumps, rocks, etc. and having to remember 3,4,5 different numbers before the animal steps out. Do you know how much it is new? Which Facebook group?

OP
M

Mauro2022

FNG
HHA tetra or tetra max 4 pin. I shoot one and love it. Slightly pricey but their CS and warranty is pretty much impossible to beat. I am a customer for life.
Thanks

thank you.
I have had good luck with HHA and Spot hogg. currently using spot hogg double pins on both my bows. the one black gold i had the dial stripped and it wouldn't move and I had to send it in. would not recommend.
thank you
Black Gold Mountain Lite 5 pin, customize it however you want through S&S. If you are using a bridgelock, go with the BG Streamline. I prefer the 2" big dog housing and even with that, I shoot 450 @78# and 27" and I can get to 125-130 on my floater pin. Run it with the ML3 base, or the dovetail all the way in.
thank you. Have you given some thought about increasing your arrow weight? If I could draw 78# I would be using like a 550g arrow, less speed but more momentum and I think you’ll be fine at considerably longer distances as well, just a thought.

Legend

WKR
Hi, I’m thinking of getting a newer/better bow sight. I have been looking at black gold brand but don’t now which one to get. I do know I’d like to have 3-5 pins (4 being ideal) and slider for those longer/follow up shots. I do have a short draw length (27”) shooting a 453 grain arrow going 271 fps at 65#. Looking for recommendations. Thank you in advance.
I am in the same quest. And after piles of reading, internet searching, visiting a half dozen archery shops I think I have made a decision.

Option 8s with 4 fixed and a floater pin. For hunting and practice it seems to be the best, albeit pricey.

rclouse79

WKR
Good to know, thanks again. It seems like a aim and shoot without ranging in advance type of sight. Like you said takes away having to range trees, tree stumps, rocks, etc. and having to remember 3,4,5 different numbers before the animal steps out. Do you know how much it is new? Which Facebook group?
I think around $150 new. Pretty basic construction, but bomb proof.

Attachments

• 4BD7AD44-579C-4181-AE68-953CE7FDB949.png
    4BD7AD44-579C-4181-AE68-953CE7FDB949.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 20

entropy

FNG
I've looked at the ezv before. DIY Sportsman reviewed the sight on his YT channel, and the one thing he mentioned about the sight that gave me pause was that the system just doesn't work on very high angle shots (the kind where you might be 60 yards away from the animal on the hypotenuse of the triangle, but only 20 yards away horizontally). Just curious, do you still take a rangefinder along to deal with that possibility?

I really do like the concept, reminds me of the mil theory the USMC tried to cram in my brain when I was much younger...

rclouse79

WKR
I've looked at the ezv before. DIY Sportsman reviewed the sight on his YT channel, and the one thing he mentioned about the sight that gave me pause was that the system just doesn't work on very high angle shots (the kind where you might be 60 yards away from the animal on the hypotenuse of the triangle, but only 20 yards away horizontally). Just curious, do you still take a rangefinder along to deal with that possibility?

I really do like the concept, reminds me of the mil theory the USMC tried to cram in my brain when I was much younger...
I think a slider would have the advantage for a long range shot where you had the time to range, dial, and shoot. I have never shot the sight at crazy angles, but I know they are popular with tree stand hunters in the mid-west from the facebook group. The ezv has marks on the sides of the v that act as pins. I can shoot dots at known distances just as well or better than I could have with my old seven pin sight. I spent a lot of time last year shooting at 3d elk or a life size elk silhouette from unknown distances by framing the vitals with the v. It really does work very well after you get used to the sight picture. After about 45 yards the sides of the v become closer to vertical and it becomes harder for me to range with it. Usually when I am set up and call for elk I try to range markers that are at 45 yards. If an elk comes in inside of 45 I know I can ignore the marks on the sides and shoot by framing the vitals. If it is farther than 45 I probably wouldn't shoot or would use the marks as pins. I attached a couple photos from the 3d range of three shots where I would toss an arrow and shoot from where ever it landed ranging from 25 to 45 yards. I shot a life size elk silhouette in my back yard thousands of times from unknown distances out to 50 yards. It has a pop out vital, just like a 3d target. An extremely tiny percentage of my shots were outside the vital area. If only it were that easy on a real elk with your heart beating out of your chest.

1675288729043.png
1675288767781.png

That would be a 71° incline. Other than maybe mountain goat hunters shooting over sheer cliffs, I don't think many bowhunters are taking shots of any significant distance at such extreme angles. Treestand shots might get close to that angle but are close enough that an EZV should still work fine. The accuracy of stadiametric ranging does suffer as the angle above/below horizontal increases but should be good enough for the majority of bowhunting situations.

entropy

FNG
That would be a 71° incline. Other than maybe mountain goat hunters shooting over sheer cliffs, I don't think many bowhunters are taking shots of any significant distance at such extreme angles. Treestand shots might get close to that angle but are close enough that an EZV should still work fine. The accuracy of stadiametric ranging does suffer as the angle above/below horizontal increases but should be good enough for the majority of bowhunting situations.
I actually did have an opportunity at a mule deer once in Wyoming that was probably not quite that extreme, but was at least a 50 degree down angle. I missed high.

I've seen other places while hunting where something similar could happen, but you're right, they're the exception. You'd have to be 60+ feet up in a tree for it to make a difference in treestand hunting.

It's sure a lot cheaper than my SH and BG. Maybe if the credit card bill is lower than usual one of these months...

JStol5

WKR
S&S archery has insane open box deals once in a while. I got my HHA tetra max for $180 there- it retails for $480.

rclouse79

WKR
Another advantage of the ezv with elk hunting is you can draw before you see the elk or more importantly, they see you. I screwed it up before by getting busted while I was trying to range and then dial. How many times does the elk move after you ranged them the first time? Just thinking of it makes me start to sweat.

OP
M

Mauro2022

FNG

I was thinking the exact same thing. It will be nice if someone that is currently using this sight shared his experience when shooting from steep angles.

OP
M

Mauro2022

FNG
I am in the same quest. And after piles of reading, internet searching, visiting a half dozen archery shops I think I have made a decision.

Option 8s with 4 fixed and a floater pin. For hunting and practice it seems to be the best, albeit pricey.
I saw that one, very pricey. It must be nice to flip the pins out of sight jus to have one standing pin for aiming. Thanks