Bow sight Pin size for elk hunting

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
Good day elk hunters. So I am in the process of putting together my second bow and I want to gear it more towards elk hunting but yet still be able to use it for whitetail if I so desire. I live in the south eastern part of the US so I do a lot of tree stand hunting. I am looking at the spot hogg fast eddie sight and I see they offer a pin diameter of .029". I was thinking of getting the two pin setup and having the top pin be .029 and not sure about the second pin. The larger pin dia. would be for my up close shots and I was trying to think about which pin size for the bottom sight that would be my longer distance shots and so on. I know with this particular sight using the double pointer that either pin can represent a longer distance so .029 may be too large. My eyesight is what is driving this. What opinions or recommendations do all of you have? Thanks

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've used a 5-pin sight with all .029's and haven't had any issues with that, and I've used a 7-pin sight with all .019's without any issues as well.

elkguide

WKR
I use .019 pins in all of my sights. I use a red and green combination as I don't see the yellow very well.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’ve never seen the need to have different pin sizes. I use 0.019 for my single pin. Before that I used a 3 pin setup with all of them being 0.029.
Most of my shot opportunities come at low light, so I went with what showed up better in low light for me.

Sled

WKR
.19 single pin. i've used .10 but prefer the .19 for the close up shots. it's more than adequate for long range shooting, though i haven't shot it out much past 150 (target only).

Feare

FNG
If I use a single pin it’s .19, I have a three pin all .19, and a five pin top four .19 bottom .10, I prefer the .19 and have 20/20 vision. If in a controlled environment I’d use a .10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

balls47

FNG
On a 5 pin I like the top 3 at .019 and the bottom 2 at .010. The smaller pins work better at distance.

kicker338

WKR
Don't have any pins on my sight just tick marks and an open V, EZV sight. With bad star burst issues I went with 019 pins when I used to use a pin sight, best compromise I could find, .010's blurred out too much and .029's looked like a big glowing blob.

87TT

WKR
I use a MBG Ascent Verdict 5 pin. Green, yellow, green, yellow, green. First 4 are.19 and bottom pin is .10 (slider)

You are overthinking it. Elk can be fast and furious and develop quickly. Especially in low light conditions. I like bigger pins for that reason. Most important part is getting a range and using the right one. Last three I shot, I didn't have time to even range them but I've spent years shooting 3D with no rangefinder. Develop a good shot sequence and practice shooting under stress, it wont matter if your using the old brass cobra sights, a recurve or the newest fancy stuff.