Bow Camping

Pilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
Bow Camping is when you go bow hunting but end up eating tag soup. It involves a lot of bow hiking.

armyjoe and I get harassed by our coworkers for being bow campers for our last two seasons. I've come to embrace the term. I thoroughly enjoy bow camping/hiking during the elk pre-rut/rut.

I was just wondering if there are any fellow bow campers out there, lol.

Whisky

WKR
Well as a matter of fact, brother and I were exchanging emails this week about our upcoming season. Talking about our lack of experience chasing elk, hunting a new state, and whatnot. I reminded him we are doing this to have fun and gain experience, and not to let any high expectations wreck the mood. His response was, "so it's basically going to be a VERY expensive camping trip"......Yup, pretty much. I would think we should be used to that by now, we've had a lot of bow camping trips the last few years.

Slim Jim

WKR
Oh yea. I'm not coming down from the mountain this summer until my new Kifaru BT1 is full of meat and has a nice velvet rack sticking out from it.

Bows can be a pain in the butt to pack around, so at times I have considered leaving it in the truck............

That is funny guys that is what the guys that I work with say also. They think that you should shoot any thing you get close to. But I like bow camping it gets me out of the routine of work and can spend time with my boys. Priceless !!!!

craitchky

Lil-Rokslider
I will be doing my 5th "Bow Camping" trip this season. Although I wouldn't mind changing it to a meat hauling/camping trip!

Mckinnon

WKR
Bow camping is better than the no camping. And yea I had a couple bow camping trips last year, hope I can have some more in the future!

Bigfeet

Lil-Rokslider
Did it for almost 3 years in a row, until an elk walked by and spoiled my record last fall.
If you don't love "bow camping" (we've called it www - walking with weapons), then you don't love hunting! That is the major part of the experience!

Hardstalk

WKR
At about a 50% success rate 2/4. I think I will begin bringing a fishing pole on my bow camps and tell folks im going on a fishing trip. If I bag a deer its a bonus! And if I catch no fish people are more susceptible to understanding that the fish just weren't biting :)

GOnDEEP

Lil-Rokslider
Ha, bow camping I love it. I wish I could disagree with you guys but I myself am a very experienced BW. I can tell you this though I definitely know how to kill some time.

T43

Lil-Rokslider
I am an avid bow camper. I can't think of a better way of spending countless hours every fall... well maybe I could.

Now don't get me wrong, I agree killing an elk sometimes can ruin a perfectly good trip, BUT if you head each day out not thinking your going to kill a elk, why bother going? How do you get up in the morning thinking this is for nothing?

tater

WKR
Now don't get me wrong, I agree killing an elk sometimes can ruin a perfectly good trip, BUT if you head each day out not thinking your going to kill a elk, why bother going? How do you get up in the morning thinking this is for nothing?

It's not thinking that elk (or any other animal) aren't going to be killed, it's the quiet acceptance that the killing part isn't necessarily the most important part. It's a piece of the puzzle, but not the whole deal.
Accepting limitations of weapon of choice doesn't mean giving up, it just means slowing down a bit to fully appreciate the whole experience. When i'm out there, i fully intend to do my best to fill a tag, and i never think that today won't be 'the day'. Having said that, i will also wander up over the next saddle just to see what is there, even if it makes no sense from a hunting standpoint. Just cuz i can...