Bought some merino but not sure if I like it - question.

Finch

WKR
So I bought the CORE4ELEMENT CAMO MERINO 2590 1/4 ZIP MIDWEIGHT BASE LAYER TOP~Pattern: Mountain Mimicry from Camofire a couple weeks back. It was $56 which I thought was a decent deal compared to other places. Anyway, it seems a little thin and I wore it as a baselayer with another shirt over it and was a little chilly at 50 degrees. I normally wear Under Armor cold gear and wouldn't get cold at 50 degrees. Am I missing something here? I'm wanting something to serve a dual purpose, my 2015 archery elk hunt and deer hunting here in Virginia.

Should I look into something else like First Lite?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The thin lightweight merino base layers are NOT designed to keep you warm. I wear mine when it's 100 out and I'm hunting. They're all about wicking the sweat away from your body, not insulating it. While they may provide minimal insulating qualities, I have never kept warm in the cold with even 400 weight merino. Even thin poly layers will also wick the sweat away, but the advantage to merino is that they don't stink to high heaven after wearing them for a day or two or longer at a time. Perfect for backcountry hunters.

danarnold

WKR
theres different weights of merino. I have a C4E merino and dont wear it ever, I have a couple FL ones that are similar weight that I usually wear a minus33 merino under, this time of year I dont wanna pay extra for camo pattern merino because it'll be under something
the thing about merino compared to UA is when you do sweat it'll be pulled off of your skin and not feel clammy and wont stink like synthetic will, you will need to put on more layers but will feel better in the end

I have UA cold gear that I'll wear to a football game or something but I never hunt in them

hunt_or_bust

Lil-Rokslider
Merino does have some insulating properties and can be counted on for warmth in some situations. As stated, the main advantage is the the anti microbial properties and the moisture wicking ability... In temps of 50 degrees I've worn a Kuiu tiburon top as a baselayer and a nuyarn 145 weight L/S over top of that. I didnt get cold but I wasn't stationary very long, and as soon as the temp warmed up a bit and I was moving, the merino layer had to come off. You will have to find what works for you, just because I can stay warm in 50 degrees using that system, doesn't mean you will.

When I started backpack hunting, It took a couples trips of carrying too much clothing to figure out what worked and didn't. I would even carry a thermometer with so I knew the exact temperature. I also took notes so I knew what I wore comfortably in what temp ranges, also noting what I didn't like or what I wish was different. I really don't know that there is another way to do it, just experiment.

Don't forget that if you get wet in merino from either sweat or water you will stay much warmer than synthetic.

Wear merino as a base layer right against skin. Wear a fleece, softshell or puffy over that if your cold.

FreeRange

WKR
I have some lightweight c4e bottoms that are great for a first base layer. Around freezing temps they are great under soft shell pants while moving and glassing for shorter periods. For around camp or long glassing sessions I'll put on a heavier pair of poly bottoms for real warmth but keep the merino on. I like how light they are as I can still hike in them and not overheat. I layer similarly on top but with other brands of merino.

Az Hunter

FNG
I also bought some C4E off camofire. I did not like it. Ok to wear around the town but not for hunting. Also the C4E boxers did not fit well with me. I now have the FL boxers and tops and love them. You can get good insulation depending on the thickness.

ScottP

WKR
Also check the merino composition. The c4e boxers are 50/50 merino/syn. They are leagues below my minus 33 stuff in feel, fit, comfort, and finish.

I have a C4E lightweight baselayer merino top that I got on camofire as well. So far I've been happy with it. Not the quality of First Lite or some other non-hunting brands I have, but has held up well so far. Wore it pretty much daily the entire month of September. I will often times put a thin Stoic brand merino top under it. I really like Stoic stuff. I wear them for training a lot.

Like the other guys, I don't really look to the thin merino for warmth. It's the moisture wicking and anti-stink factor for me. For my elk hunts, when active, I could wear the single layer of merino and be comfortable at 50 degrees with the sun out, but that's me. Warmth is such a personal thing. For deer hunting from a stand when it's in the 20's like last weekend here in Nebraska, I had two thin layers of merino, a Cabela's Bowhunter Extreme fleece jacket, and then my First Lite puffy jacket. The wind was whipping around and I was frozen before long. I went light on the bottom and had one thin base layer merino and then the First Lite Kanab pants. Too light for the conditions and being immobile. I'm continually playing with my layering system in various conditions. Invariably for me, if it's in the teens or 20's and I'm sitting still with the wind blowing, I'm cold no matter what.

wapitibob

WKR
I just bought a Core4 190 top on Camofire last week. They're 100% merino wool and the fit was correct except for the forearms being tighter than any other brand top that I have in 2xl. I like it and it's comparable in warmth to the 17.5 KUIU top I bought a year or so ago.

Dollar for dollar, Icebreakers are the best value. Then if you have the coin step up to Minus 33 and FL. Consider the 100% merino in varying weights for specific conditions.

DWinVA

WKR
I've have good success here in VA with Smartwool, Ibex and First Lite (100% merino wool). I don't have any experience with the Core4 stuff. I use the lightweight in early season and then add a heavier weight later in the year. I plan on using mostly the lightweight First Lite in CO next September. I make take a set of heavy weight in case it gets real cold or to sleep in.

God Bless.

FreeRange

WKR
+1 on icebreaker. If you keep an eye on Steepandcheap.com they often sell different brands merino baselayers at good discounts. And do check that it's 100% merino before you buy, anything blended will start to stink much sooner than pure merino.

Jay585

FNG
Don't forget that if you get wet in merino from either sweat or water you will stay much warmer than synthetic.

Wear merino as a base layer right against skin. Wear a fleece, softshell or puffy over that if your cold.

I can tell you from experience doing trail work in backcountry SE Alaska, that is not true. Synthetic trumps wool if you're in wet environment. I'm also of the opinion that (as far as baselayers go) synthetics are better in the warmth:weight ratio.

_Nick_

WKR
+1 on icebreaker. If you keep an eye on Steepandcheap.com they often sell different brands merino baselayers at good discounts. And do check that it's 100% merino before you buy, anything blended will start to stink much sooner than pure merino.

+2 my icebreaker stuff is top notch; no need to pay extra for the camo for me, as I pretty much only use it as a baselayer. Sierra Trading Post typically has their stuff on sale. Got the top and bottom lightweight 100% merino icebreaker shipped to me for $70 total. Hard to beat.

bcimport

WKR
Wear merino to reduce the funk factor after multiple days, not for miracle warmth. I bought a fair amount of merino over the last couple years and honestly as it wears out I'm going back to synthetic for anything but socks. The warm when wet may be true but I can't tell the difference. I have found getting dry is more important. At least a thin synthetic base layer and micro fleece top dries quickly even if it feels clammy for a few minutes. My merino stayed wet for days if I didn't wear it in the sleeping bag to dry it out.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
Thanks for all the replies fellas! I'll still keep an eye out for some good sales.

I know there are some differences in opinions but would you guys wear a lightweight merino base layer (against skin) and then what? Another layer of merino but a little heavier.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I know there are some differences in opinions but would you guys wear a lightweight merino base layer (against skin) and then what? Another layer of merino but a little heavier.

Are you talking about just keeping warm for stand hunting? If so, I'd wear a polar fleece base and then layer on top of that when I got to the stand. For single day stand hunts, I wouldn't even own any merino.

I can tell you from experience doing trail work in backcountry SE Alaska, that is not true. Synthetic trumps wool if you're in wet environment. I'm also of the opinion that (as far as baselayers go) synthetics are better in the warmth:weight ratio.

While synthetic may have a better warmth:weight ratio, they only have one other advantage in Wet conditions....They dry faster.

The preference between merino and synthetic varies greatly by activity. If your sitting on a stand or not moving much, synthetic is usually a fine option.
If your moving (Sweating) your baselayer will get wet from the inside. If its raining and soaks through your gear, your baselayer will get wet from the outside. In every experience Ive had, wet synthetics make me feel cold and clammy. Merino wicks more moisture and when wet has kept me much warmer.

Just my opinion. What types of synthetics & Merino have you used? My comparision is mainly between Underarmor synthetics and Kuiu merino wool.