BOSS SHOTGUN SHELLS!!

Mike76

FNG
GENTLMAN!
BOSS shotgun shells! Out of a Benelli SBE2? Modified>or Full Choke!
Has anyone patterned the BOSS>12 GA 3/5 shot 3 inch 1 1/2 oz load or the #5 shot 3 in 1 1/2 oz load out of there Benelli or Browning A5?
Even though the shells are much Higher then what I'm shooting now, Hevi Steel> 12 ga 3 in 1 1/4 oz 3 shot.
I'm thinking very heavily after my last Post about going in that Direction.
I have heard from many shooting many different Steel shot gun shells. With In fact the largest majority chatting about the BOSS Steel Loads with the 3/5 shot being in most posts.
Growing up, my main shot was a Number 6 load. Of coarse lead and trying to match those loads seems impossible with Steel, But with this BOSS Copper Coated shot in 3 in 1 1/2" loads sounds pretty good. I'd like to hear that from guys shooting it.
I was hoping also that the Number 5 Boss Load would match out to be a pretty decent load. As I don't know what to think about a 3/5 load
I'm looking for the Load to do its job out to 40 yrds and hold a decent pattern and this is what I'm hearing with the 3/5 load by BOSS. It seems thou that that #5 load with the extra pellets would hold it own?
My number 3 shot in the Hevi Steel does a great Job at 30 yrds but beyond that pattern really start to open up..
I'm just will not shot it over 30-35 and cripple a bunch of birds. With that it puts me out of letting a lot of birds fly on.
Also with the copper coated BOSS loads if I want to pick up my Browning A% at a full choke I can do exactly that and not worry about the barrel.
I'm now using a Modified choke with my Hevi load out of my Benelli SBE2 28 in barrel 3 1/2in chamber.
I'd love to know if anyone out there is shooting this load and there thoughts.
Also with a full choke. .
Also I have heard why the 3 in when the 2 3/4 in will do the job with the BOSS Loads..
More pellets little heavied load and if it patterns well then go with it.. I also like that copper coated Load. I can go to a full choke if need be and what they are saying that those shells shot out to 40-50 with great success. I'm hunting mostly Mallards and Canadian Honkers.
But still I want to hear from the guys that are shooting it before I spend a bunch and order a case when its out..
Please any help here is much appreciated... Thank You gentleman

gearguywb

WKR
Patterning anything out of someone else's gun is not going to give anything close to reliable data.

I use the 3/5 combo and have been very happy with them. They are a premium priced shell, but for me, much better performing than the Black Cloud I used previously.

OP
Mike76

Mike76

FNG
gearguywb
Yes sir I understand, But hoping to get a little better knowledge of the BOSS shot shell in the 3/5 or 5 will help out a lot. Thank you for that reply sir..

QuackAttack

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve shot a lot of Boss. Duplex loads are old tech that fails because pellets lose velocity at different rates due to size, effectively creating two separate patterns that are both thin. You can’t see it on paper as it’s a shot string issue, not a flat paper issue.

for ducks, shoot 4s. For geese, shoot 2s. Easy day…and pattern your gun.

dtrkyman

WKR
Looking into them as well, premium steel costs as much as Boss anyway so when I run low on steel I will likely switch.

Never was a fan of duplex loads, I will likely grab 4s or 5s, i shoot decoying ducks so I am leaning towards 5s.

OP
Mike76

Mike76

FNG
Why keep asking these questions in the general forum?
Learning! never too late to learn in my opinion. after shooting lead for more than 50 yrs then going to the junk we are pushed to shoot. I want to know everything i Can about this stuff and who and why they shoot it.. Is this ok?

Learning! never too late to learn in my opinion. after shooting lead for more than 50 yrs then going to the junk we are pushed to shoot. I want to know everything i Can about this stuff and who and why they shoot it.. Is this ok?

Just trying to point out that there's a game bird forum section just for these questions.

If this thread disappears, it's cause the mods get tired of moving things to the appropriate departments and find it easier to just delete.

I’m sure he’s fine with you asking and learning, but just wished you would put this question in a more specialized forum for this topic.
Maybe Game birds?

after shooting lead for more than 50 yrs then going to the junk we are pushed to shoot.

I'm not of the opinion that what we have to shoot now is junk at all. The first steel loads were terrible, it's gunners shooting that is terrible now. And marketing that makes you think you can buy a skill set.

OP
Mike76

Mike76

FNG
Just trying to point out that there's a game bird forum section just for these questions.

If this thread disappears, it's cause the mods get tired of moving things to the appropriate departments and find it easier to just delete.
Ok I'm sorry for that as I will find the forum for these subjects.. thank you sir...

OP
Mike76

Mike76

FNG
I'm not of the opinion that what we have to shoot now is junk at all. The first steel loads were terrible, it's gunners shooting that is terrible now. And marketing that makes you think you can buy a skill set.
Billy I shoot Hevi Steel right now, and yes the first stuff was a world win to say the least.. I like the Hevi I'm shooting right now just trying to learn a little more about these deluxe loads and something that shoots out there a little further with good patterns.. the Hevi is great out to about 33 but when I fudge it blows up pretty good and then we start crippling these birds. I really like the copper coated theory with the Bismuth
getting back to as close as they can get to lead. It is what I'm looking for. so all the info I can get is just a plus for me.. I have had a shot gun in my hands for quite some yrs and shoot it well and do agree on what your saying about. Pattering, Shooting, and really knowing what the shot shell and gun will do at the yrds your shooting. Then its up to the individual behind the shotgun.. Thank you sir

Billy I shoot Hevi Steel right now, and yes the first stuff was a world win to say the least.. I like the Hevi I'm shooting right now just trying to learn a little more about these deluxe loads and something that shoots out there a little further with good patterns.. the Hevi is great out to about 33 but when I fudge it blows up pretty good and then we start crippling these birds. I really like the copper coated theory with the Bismuth
getting back to as close as they can get to lead. It is what I'm looking for. so all the info I can get is just a plus for me.. I have had a shot gun in my hands for quite some yrs and shoot it well and do agree on what your saying about. Pattering, Shooting, and really knowing what the shot shell and gun will do at the yrds your shooting. Then its up to the individual behind the shotgun.. Thank you sir

A duplex load in my opinion is just a poor load. You don't have enough pellet count with the larger shot size to fill a pattern with it at the range it will be used generally. You might have holes in paper at that range, but if say 50% of the holes are the smaller shot size, then you are only looking at 50% of the pattern you are seeing. If it's a 50/50 duplex by weight, we'll then it's good chance that only 1/3 of the shot is actually the larger pellets....

You can look up pellets per ounce in different materials and sizes and do some figuring.

For me, the slight gain you see from bismuth isn't worth it in a modern barreled gun, I use bismuth in older guns that aren't capable of steel shot. Don't get me wrong, if bismuth is the same price I'm getting it over steel, but the price point doesn't do it for me.

I'm done with anything with Hevi in the name. The marketing department at EMI has been so misleading over the years I don't tryst anything they put on a box and I'm not giving them any money.

OP
Mike76

Mike76

FNG
Billy Thank you so much for that.. I really was wondering about that duplex load as so many were chatting about it. In my opinion if I were to purchase the shells it would more then likely be in the number 5 load..
I have a case of Hevi and have had really good luck up to about 33 yrd. after that it starts to blow up.
A good friend shoots nothing but Hevi and turned me on to it as I was shooting Federal 3 in number 2s 1 1/8oz and shot good close. I'm wanting a load that just reaches out a little further especially for Geese..