Boots with cushion under the heal?

I broke my heal and tried insoles but cant seem to find one my heal likes. So I was wandering if anyone found a shoe or boot with good cushion under the heal from the factory? Thanks

timberbuck

Lil-Rokslider
Salomon Elixir Mid GTX, just realize they are not going to hold up as well as more serious mountain boots. You can buy two pair for the same cost as a serious mountain boot so not an issue.

Pretty sure they would be superior to the Hoka in durability.

OP
D
Salomon Elixir Mid GTX, just realize they are not going to hold up as well as more serious mountain boots. You can buy two pair for the same cost as a serious mountain boot so not an issue.

Pretty sure they would be superior to the Hoka in durability.
Thanks

timberbuck

Lil-Rokslider
I'll try both on. Thanks
The colorado is a 4 flex boot, stiffer than the Nevada which is rated at a 3. Most of their serious boots have very hard midsoles including the Colorado, hard as a rock pretty much. Also the base design of their midsoles offers very little arch support, almost flat.. This is why everyone who buys one ends up putting better insoles in them for more cushion and or arch support if needed.

I would steer the poster away from any of these boots because of his needs except the models like the Summit 2 and Lapponia 3 which have more flex and much softer midsoles. I would recommend these models if he needs good ankle support. They would still need better insoles for more cushion and or arch support if needed.

I will also steer people away from Crispis light hikers like the Lapponia lite or Mesa, Attiva as they are overpriced for what they bring to the table. My opinion.

The Elixir mentioned has the same midsole as Salomons top long distance trail runners, super cushion midsoles with spring recovery. It however does not offer much ankle support.

If you need a softer midsole boot with ankle support take a look at the Salomon Quest 4 GTX, Quest Element or the new Quest Tracker. $180-200.

Salomon builds arch support into these boots and they also come with excellent ortholite memory foam insoles.

I'm not knocking Crispi as I own a Nevada and Wild Rock (with arch supporting cushion midsoles in both as I have high arches and need arch support.) I bought a Attiva mid recently on sale to compare to my Salomon light hikers (X Ultra 4 Mid GTX, XA Pro V9 GTX) and I regret buying the Attiva.

Last edited:

Lowg08

WKR
I don’t have heel problems. I do have a plate in my ankle. I own meindl comfort fit extreme and lathrop and son mountain hunter elite. Just started breaking in a pair of hoka kaha 2. So far. They are great. Not near as heavy and also very comfortable. I hunt in the Appalachian mounts of western North Carolina and these things so far are great. I don’t see me going back to the heavy boots. Haven’t had issues side hilling or up and down or rocks or anything. Not even any swelling or pain. I have started wearing compression socks though. That has made a huge difference with the heavy cushioning too

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
My hanwag allverstone have the softest heel I’ve found in a boot. It’s closer to a hiking boot than a mountaineering boot.