Boots: light and fast or heavy and bomb proof?

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
I use both. Approach shoes for some things, true mountaineering boots for others. Part of the reason I have stuck with hard sold mountaineering boots is I have planter fibromatosis, and one theory is tht injuries to the planter fascia have hypertrophic healing, not wanting to have my planter fascia stripped out, I decided stone bruising was unacceptable and on rocky ground with a heavy pack I go full retard on the boots.

I also find the hard sold handles steep slops better as it cuts into snor or alpine plants rather than molding to it.

Stiff hiking boots haven’t been shown to reduce injury in the big picture. You’re trading protection in one area for decreased mobility in another.

There’s a reason that backpackers hiking for three months straight in varied terrain hike in trail runners (generally speaking).

For me it just depends on brush and wetness. If there is going to be a lot of brush to get into the shoe, or tear up the shoe, then maybe a flexible mid height with more durable material. If it’s pretty open terrain then maybe a trail runner. If it’s going to be sopping wet then maybe a flexible mid height that is more water resistant etc.

I have nixwax for the schnees per their suggestion. I’ve always used obernaufs on the Solomon’s but they have more fabric than leather, so I’m not sure it made much of a difference.
These will work better and keep
Leather more supple

Or

HANWAG SHOE WAX​

Or

Cobbler's Choice Co. Finest Quality All-Natural Leather Restorer Conditioner​

I never go extremely light and flexible, simply because of the terrain I hunt in.

I have a pair of Hoffman Explorers (fairly stiff) that I wear for a lot of my hunting in very inclement weather conditions. I find the stiffness helps a lot when sidehilling.

I just bought a pair of Hoffman Borahs to replace the Summits. The Summits were a great early season boot and one for not as challenging terrain and not as heavy loads.

I only wear all leather boots because anything else won’t last more than a year in the basalt rocks.

Generally speaking, they're on trails carrying the lightest possible loads.

Lighter loads or heavier loads, stiff heavy hiking boots haven’t been shown to reduce injury or prevent injury for otherwise healthy feet and ankles.

Not to mention that your average backpacker is still carrying 20-30lbs on their back with food and water. You can absolutely get lower than that with cottage company gear, but that’s still more than many hunters are carrying if they’re coming back to camp each night.

Either way, wear what’s comfortable!

I prefer to go lighter but stiff, such as the hanwag Ferrata or zamberlan baltoro. I have Tibet Lowas but rarely use them anymore. Full grain leather doesn’t give me what I need.