Boots for barefoot/minimalists

gostovp

WKR
I'm starting to get more into minimalist footwear to try and strengthen my feet...obviously its slow process, and from previous threads I've read on here, there are many guys that will use barefoot/minimalist footwear in the offseason for foot strengthening, but when the season comes, they still like to use more structured and supportive boots.
I feel I'm kinda in the same boat as I don't know if I would be ready for a LONG time to hunt in something like a Vivo Tracker.

That said, one of the side effects that I feel manifests pretty quickly when starting to wear minimalist footwear is the widening of the forefoot and splaying of the toes, as that part of the foot becomes stronger and more flexible...

Any recommendations for boots that fit this foot shape well but aren't really 'minimalist'? I was thinking about the Meindl Comfort Fit Hiker (little lower and more flexible than the comfort fit Hunter...)...Any minimalist/barefoot guys have experience with those?

ElPollo

WKR
I'm starting to get more into minimalist footwear to try and strengthen my feet...obviously its slow process, and from previous threads I've read on here, there are many guys that will use barefoot/minimalist footwear in the offseason for foot strengthening, but when the season comes, they still like to use more structured and supportive boots.
I feel I'm kinda in the same boat as I don't know if I would be ready for a LONG time to hunt in something like a Vivo Tracker.

That said, one of the side effects that I feel manifests pretty quickly when starting to wear minimalist footwear is the widening of the forefoot and splaying of the toes, as that part of the foot becomes stronger and more flexible...

Any recommendations for boots that fit this foot shape well but aren't really 'minimalist'? I was thinking about the Meindl Comfort Fit Hiker (little lower and more flexible than the comfort fit Hunter...)...Any minimalist/barefoot guys have experience with those?
Start slowly with wearing barefoot shoes in your daily wear and exercise. Add exercises for your feet and ankles (look up the Mobo Board and their website). Then start adding in some hikes in what ever boot you choose. I have become pretty fond of the Vivo ESCs, but I did add a homemade saddle leather insole to help protect from cactus and mesquite spines in the desert.

cjdewese

WKR
I didn't have much of an issue switching to barefoot shoes for every day shoes but haven't made the switch yet to boots. Whatever you get, make sure it's a wide. I got Schnees timberline in wide as I started.

My feet were able to splay out and made a world of difference in comfort. As I am wearing barefoot shoes for my daily drivers my feet are just starting to touch the sides of the toebox.

My next boots will be probably be the vivo tracker but I may just keep getting the widest regular boots I can find.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU

Start here.

nobody

WKR
Jim green footwear is my go to across the board. Designed for African forest rangers and guides, many of whom spend most of their life never wearing shoes at all. They have traditionally built boots as well as true barefoot options (Barefoot African Ranger and African Trooper), but all of them have waaaaaaaay wider than average toe boxes and forefeet. I hunt in a pair of AR8’s and they’re awesome. Plenty of toe space, 8” tall, a great “crossover” type boot. I wear the African Rangers daily to work and just received a full custom pair from their custom shop (my second pair of them), and I have a pair of Numzaans for dressier stuff and trade shows at work. Handmade in Africa, A+ build quality, and priced well.

Love me some Jim Greens.

nobody

WKR
I've been using the Barefoot. I also use the Vivo Magna's and the JG Barefoot is more of a traditional boot. They are still light and flexy but slightly stiffer than a Vivo.
Yes, this. They’re a phenomenal “halfway” boot between traditional footwear and true barefoot. Plus they’re built like tanks.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I wear these for the vast majority of hunts and terrain. I’ll move up to a lightweight and flexible waterproof boot when needed, but these see the most use by far…

twall13

WKR
I wear these for the vast majority of hunts and terrain. I’ll move up to a lightweight and flexible waterproof boot when needed, but these see the most use by far…

Why am I not surprised you'd post an orange shoe?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk