Boot recommendations

I'll be heading to Wyoming in 2025 for an elk hunt in mid-October around 8,500 ft. Looks like average temps are about mid-20's for lows to high 40's for highs. I've been told it could get down to below zero and also could get over 60 degree. Is it advisable to get boots with insulation? If so, how much? This will be a combination horseback and walking. Any recommendations on specific boots? I like something with a little flex in the sole and something that has good traction on wet rocks and wood.

Thank you

Just checking in to follow. I can never seem to find boots I really like. And considering all the good boots are more than my truck payment, it's hard to buy them just to try them.

Maybe I'm just cheap but I have really.liked my Merle MOABs, the waterproof ones.

Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk

TaperPin

WKR
Keeping your legs warm helps fend away cold toes. I’ve never needed an insulated boot, but definitely use gaiters with low cut hiking boots. These leather Asolo hikers fit great and work well all year. They are also my snow shoeing boots.16815FEA-FB9B-4A49-9ADD-2DE8AF3C4E25.jpeg

yfarm

WKR
I did a combined horse hike hunt around the second week in October NW of Dubois. Went in sunny and 60, woke up to sleet and snow 32 at 8000. Had that weather for 3 days then it cleared but stayed cool. Every hunter in the camp was wearing wet leather boots after the first day which dried out on the way out. The Schees Beartooths and Lathrops in my group stayed dry inside and neither had cold feet, I wore 600 gr Chippewa hiking boots and was fine, i did slip Tingleys over them in the mud and snow which kept the boots dry, lighter than carrying 2 prs of boots. Had mud on the trails mixed with snow. Guides and outfitter wore neoprene knee boots in camp, some even wore out to hunt.
There are locals on this forum that suggest by mid Oct at elevation moving into pacs, I intend to do that this yr. We were all in wall tents with wood stoves, had clotheslines strung thru the tents trying to dry out gloves and outerwear. We managed to get the lightweight raingear to dry overnight, the gloves at best were damp. I intend to carry a pr of oversize Showa fishing gloves in the future.
We were never in a situation of needing a stiff technical mountain boot on that hunt. My suggestion look at the lighter insulation Hoffman or Schnees pacs with the aggressive sole. White’s no longer sells pacs but there is generally a good selection of Hoffmans and Whites on ebay, make sure if you go that way to verify with the seller there are no toe flex cracking of the bottom. Hoffmans will rebuild Whites and theirs for about $120 for new bottoms. By watching you can usually find a pr for 50-75+ shipping. Most of the Schnees are new and much higher as are the Kenetreks.

One of my party took off up a mountainside in deep snow chasing a bull and cow, went up to 12k on top and the elk took off for the next drainage. Got cliffed out repeatedly descending back to the horses. In that situation, the Schnees he wore and the outfitters Kenetreks were the best choice. I was never in that situation nor do I intend to be at 71.

Last edited:

DanMan

FNG
Mid October and later in the backcountry I want to have my Schnees pac boots.
They do well enough on horseback or hiking either one and if you are in snow, slush, or mud you just can't beat them.

Meindl comfort hiker for me. The sole has a stiffness rating of B. Or the comfort fit hunter. Which has a B/C rating on stiffness. Both are insanely comfortable.

Both remain flexible enough to walk around easily on flat ground. But, are stiff enough that steep and rugged is no problem either.

Uninsulated with good socks is the way I’d go for hunts like that. A set of boot blankets will supplement the boot when it gets down really cold.

OP
G
Thank you everyone for the advice. I got a lot more research to do and then order some different options to try on.

Wapato

FNG
I don’t use insulated boots for those temps, and instead wear warmer wool socks. However, I’m usually hiking and staying warm that way.

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
I wear uninsulated Crispi Colorado’s but they are one of the stiffness boots they carry. I find the Crispi line to fit my wide feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IdahoBeav

WKR
I have uninsulated Schnee's Beartooth and Crispi Guide 200g. I also have a pair of 600g Danner Canadian. The uninsulated are by far the most versatile. 200g in the summer is way worse than uninsulated in the winter, and 600g is way too hot if you're doing any significant hiking, even in the snow. This is all based on using standard cotton crew socks.

I think you will best be served by a pair of uninsulated Schnee's/Crispi/Kennetrek/Zamberlan/etc. and a few different weights of socks to choose from.

bsween8

FNG
I run Schnee's Beartooth for everything now. They are comfortable and durable and they also come in a couple different insulation options. Highly recommend you check them out.