Boot Recommendation For Late Season MT Muley Hunt

hobbes

WKR
My feet run hot if I'm hiking a lot in all but the coldest conditions. However, put me on my but behind glass for an hour and I want insulation. I always have a couple pairs of boots on hand but I'm not packing in overnight. I sometimes swap boots as much to give one pair a chance to fully dry as anything. I do not like short boots.

My uninsulated boots are Kenetrek Mountain Extremes and I have an older pair of Columbia boots that are 600 grams. I've worn the Columbia's long enough on cold weather hunts and just out in the snow that I doubt think they are equivalent to 600 grams any longer but they work for me.

Give up on buying boots based on popular opinion. Boots aren't like buying a tent or even a sleeping bag. You have to figure boot comfort for your own feet.

270Hunter

FNG
Thanks for this feedback. One question, how are pack boots for hiking? My experience with Pac boots is limited as I do own an old pair of Sorrell boots that look look pac boots and I’d never consider hiking in them. Do the ones you use fit like a hiking boot? I
I’ve put a lot of miles through snow and winter conditions in Pac Boots, I would definitely recommend trying them on with some thicker pairs of wool socks because that’s what you’re gonna be wearing when wearing the pac boots. Also you don’t want the boot too tight around your foot with heavy socks, because poor blood flow in winter conditions also leads to cold feet. They definitely don’t fit like a hiking boot because they’re so tall and also a little bulkier, but they work all the same and in my opinion my Hoffman’s are really comfortable and I can hike all day in them and not have sore feet.

ianpadron

WKR
Pac boots, Hoffmann, Schnees, Kennetrek...pick whichever fits best and call it good. Size up and leave room for thick wools socks and toe wigglin' room.

JasonT

Lil-Rokslider
What about Irish setter elk hunters, 1000 gr version. You can pick those up for under $300

OP
N

NCAggie81

FNG
I’ve put a lot of miles through snow and winter conditions in Pac Boots, I would definitely recommend trying them on with some thicker pairs of wool socks because that’s what you’re gonna be wearing when wearing the pac boots. Also you don’t want the boot too tight around your foot with heavy socks, because poor blood flow in winter conditions also leads to cold feet. They definitely don’t fit like a hiking boot because they’re so tall and also a little bulkier, but they work all the same and in my opinion my Hoffman’s are really comfortable and I can hike all day in them and not have sore feet.
Thanks for this feedback on your experience with PAC boots.

Wapiti1

WKR
I use Hoffman Outback pacs on late season mountain hunts. They are very good for hiking and have served me well. Well enough that I had them resoled a couple of years ago and they are still going strong. The bob soles are money in deep powder snow.

I suggest a thin, but good insole inside the liner. That took up the slop in the boot for me and added more stability to the heel (I have narrow feet). A thick sock is OK, too, but I find they compress during the day and I lose the fit in the toe area I want.

I'd also suggest getting a second set of liners for any pac. Depending on where you're staying, it might be hard to dry out the liners each night. Swapping them each day is a nice option.

Jeremy

prm

WKR
If you REALLY want warm feet, PACs are the way to go. The 200g or 400g insulated boots will be fine if moving, but once you stop for awhile, I do not fond them warm enough.

L.G.

FNG
Has anyone tried the zamberlan polar gtx 3031?
Wore a pair last season. I like 'em.
Wish the gaiter was taller so you could nix carrying separate gaiters. My buddy says they're just mountaineering boots rebranded for hunting and that gaiter height is specific to that world. Excellent sole and overall design. Far and away the ugliest boots I've ever worn, or seen.

NCAggie81 I've skied the Beartooths but never hunted them. Wear whatever you like and put some heated socks on if you're hunting back to the truck each day.

Last year was a little extra with the cold in rifle season.

I’m headed to hunt the Bear Tooth Mountains in north central MT in the last week of Mule Deer rifle season late November. It’s a walk, glass & stalk type hunt. Went last year & it got miserably cold on the last few days of the hunt. Temps are gonna be cold with ranges from -10 to 30 highs ( this happened last year). Walking 3-7 miles a day to & from the truck. I have 2 pair of Oboz Bridger hiking boots, the 8” with 200g Thinsulate & the other 10” boot with 400 g Thinsulate. Last year I wore my 8” Oboz with 200g Thinsulate & they were adequate but my feet were really sore at the end of each day. Any of you guys have experience with these boots? I wear the Oboz non insulated boots daily & they fit my feet like a glove but I’m not hiking with a pack & no hills where I live. If you think these boots are insufficient for the hunt any recommendations that won’t break my bank for a new or used set (size 13). Been looking at Crispi, Kenetrek & Schneel boots but most of these are over $400 unless I catch them on sale or used. Thx to those of you that’s can provide some guidance on this too!
If it's anything like last year your gonna need the warmest pack boots you can stand to walk in.

WCB

WKR
I guided in Schnees Hunters and Outfitter pack boots. Trapped in them for years. Put A LOT of miles on them in the mountains and other terrain. My wife late season upland hunts in hers. No issues what so ever hiking for us. But everyone is different.

I personally hate "thick" socks. I throw a a pair of Kuiu Ultra Merinos on and that is about it. Active hunts really no matter the temp I have used my Crispi Wyomings (uninsulated). Killed deer in MT Thanksgiving week in the single digits in them...but These are highly active hike hunts (of course sitting an glassing for a bit but not hours on end.

Bring extra socks and wear gaitors. The heaviest I would go would be 400gram for an active hunt. I said it on another thread. The coldest my feet have really been hunting is in Schnees 400gram pack boots if having to sit for extended amounts of time. The rubber pack boot part just gets colder and stays cold. If moving no issue but sitting I would rather wear uninsulated.

L.G.

FNG
Agreed on the cold soles of the Schnee's pacs. I found a lot of moisture would build up between my warm feet/liners and the inside of the sole. I assume that was due to the temp difference there.

Folks I've met that are big into the pacs bring at least two pairs of liners and swap 'em out each day so one is drying while one is hunting.