Boot recommendation for elk

Weldor

WKR
I never wore boots for backpacking and am loath to use heavy boots now either. Vivo barefoot seem to be a great compromise especially if you are used to low or zero drop shoes.

I bought Salomon gtx boots, about the lightest conventional hiking boots, and my feet are more tired after a 2mile test hike with my toddler than after 6miles in trail runners WITH a pack or 4 miles in Vivo ans very heavy pack.. Just don't get the stiff sole boots appeal...

Vivo barefoot work well for wetter terrain bc of higher rise. With gaiters even deep snow should be fine but haven't tried it myself.
I envy your tough feet , those thin shoes would tear me up in the southern az mtns. They look like a great shoe/ boot for everyday wear.

Weldor

WKR
I envy your tough feet , those thin shoes would tear me up in the southern az mtns. They look like a great shoe/ boot for everyday wear.
Oh yea, I'm with you on the weight. Theres day feels like the old cement shoes. LOL.

WaWox

FNG
I think its a combination of getting used to it and where i hike.

I have been wearing ultra minimalist (barefoot sole, zero drop etc) trail runners as my everyday shoe (office, normal walks, chores around the yard, short hikes, shopping etc) for years and the very beginning sure takes some transition time to get used to it but now i feel i cant go back to anything heavier anymore!

The other side of it is that i hike mostly in wet pacific northwest forests. There are trail sections that are on granite or skree but usually less than 50% of total trail length. Often less than 10%. The rest is soft needles and soil.

I am sure if i hiked on 100% granite (like i used to in the sierra), id go back to slightly sturdier but still lightweight shoes. Maybe altra trail runners or salomon trail runners.