Boot Leak, Miserable Feet, how do I prevent this?

I'm recovering from a big rash and several blisters on both feet after doing a turkey hunt in the rain last week. My Goretex boots on both feet decided to leak on me after a short hike through a field, and then they leaked much more after being submerged for a second in ground that had basically become muck from the rain.

I've hiked with wet feet before but not in this combination of sock and boot. I think the Goretex, being not breathable after getting wet, made things a lot worse than the trail runners I usually hike in since the socks couldn't dry out. I also normally hike in polyester socks but was wearing a Merino wool blend but I'm not sure that made a difference.

The boot leaked where the synthetic tongue met the leather upper. This isn't a place I can really reach with seam sealer. Gaiters might have helped with the hike through the field, but probably not with being submerged. A liner under the wool might also have helped with the blisters, but I've never done this combination before. Those are probably the immediate changes I can make.

Also thinking about new shoes, or at least finding a way to make my current ones more waterproof. The leather is fine and doesn't leak, and I store them out in the open on a shoe rack, but I wonder if something happened after a few months of not using it (it was pretty solidly waterproof before). Would a shoe tree have helped the boot keep shape and not develop any creases that could leak? Or should I look for boots with better waterproofing or maybe just an entirely breathable boot?

MTHokie

Lil-Rokslider
I'm no boot expert, but I am pretty sure trying to make your boots waterproof after they are known to leak is going to be nigh on to impossible. If the liner has separated or cracked, I don't think an exterior sealer is going to help much, especially when submerged. If you hike and hunt in wet conditions much at all, then I'd say it is time for new boots. You're on target with the liners. I always wear cheap polypro liners, now. They aren't perfect, but they help a lot. Fact is when your feet are soaking wet, it is just very, very difficult to keep from blistering up.

P Carter

WKR
I’m a shoe guy, not a boot guy, but it seems that the most common feedback on “waterproof” boots is that they’re not waterproof! I’ll take a light, quick-drying trail shoe over a heavy “waterproof” boot any day. Just bring a change of socks. I’ve gone days in the rain with trail shoes. Everyone’s feet were wet but mine dried out during breaks and overnight; heavy boots didn’t dry out at all after they got soaked.

Or maybe I’m just used to having wet feet. Either way, even when it’s wet I don’t get blisters.

OP
H
I'm no boot expert, but I am pretty sure trying to make your boots waterproof after they are known to leak is going to be nigh on to impossible. If the liner has separated or cracked, I don't think an exterior sealer is going to help much, especially when submerged. If you hike and hunt in wet conditions much at all, then I'd say it is time for new boots. You're on target with the liners. I always wear cheap polypro liners, now. They aren't perfect, but they help a lot. Fact is when your feet are soaking wet, it is just very, very difficult to keep from blistering up.
Darn. I've only had these for one season. I did get them from REI though so maybe it's time to take advantage of that return policy.
I’m a shoe guy, not a boot guy, but it seems that the most common feedback on “waterproof” boots is that they’re not waterproof! I’ll take a light, quick-drying trail shoe over a heavy “waterproof” boot any day. Just bring a change of socks. I’ve gone days in the rain with trail shoes. Everyone’s feet were wet but mine dried out during breaks and overnight; heavy boots didn’t dry out at all after they got soaked.

Or maybe I’m just used to having wet feet. Either way, even when it’s wet I don’t get blisters.
That's the direction I'm headed too, but while my ankle strength is good enough to get by sidehilling in trail shoes it's real slow going. I just want something that sticks on my feet better and anything "boot"-like seems to want to put in Goretex nowadays. I originally wanted a leather-lined boot!
You sure that wasn’t water from your pants leg wicking in?
Yeah, my pants go over my boots and the socks got wet from the bottom up. My base layer wasn't completely dry but was a lot dryer than the bottom of my socks.

TaperPin

WKR
I’ve had great luck with Gortex socks over the top of my regular socks. Even with a week of rain and soaked boots my socks were always dry.

1. The other thing is to use snow-seal. Every August, I slather 1/3 of a container on my elk boots and let them bake in the hot sun. Usually two applications does the trick. Does this kill breathability; Probably but I wear thin socks and move slowly when I hunt.

2. As mentioned goretex socks or seal skins are a great backup method. I always carry one set up the mountain in my ruck if we expect bad weather. Never wear them on the hike in or out though. Too warm.

3. Gaiters definitely help too.

OP
H
Gore-tex doesn't work in a boot; once the leather or nylon outer gets wet, flexing at the toe box will force water thru the liner via pressure. If you want waterproof, get a boot with rubber. These are the only boots I've had in the last 25 years that were actually waterproof.
Yeah that seems like what's happening. I just dunked my boots to see what was happening. The outside wetted out and the inside gradually got damp. I guess it still does stop the water leaking through overall, but that doesn't really help with the socks getting wet issue.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Gaiters, liners, maybe Goretex socks are in my near future.

wapitibob

WKR
Fill your boots with water if unsure where the leak is, and set them on the counter, you'll know pretty quick.

none of these had anywhere close to 50 miles on them

IMG_4255 (Medium).JPG

1.JPG
2.JPG

3.JPG

Last edited: