Boot fit - Lowa vs Hanwag

gobears870

Lil-Rokslider
I recently got a warranty refund for a pair of Lowa Camino GTX. They fit like a dream - best boots I've ever had in that department - but they started to leak pretty aggressively. Sent them to Gore since I figured it was the lining, and I got a full refund.

These were my all-around boots when I purchased them but I've picked up some lighter weight hikers since then. So I'm in the market for a heavy-duty, stiff, leather boot to replace my Caminos. I could go with the Lowa Tibet to stick with the fit that I know I like, but I'm wary of the brand now after how much my last pair leaked after not a ton of wear. I'm also homing in on the Hanwag Alaska and Tantra Top but wonder how these compare to the Lowa fit.

Since there isn't a nearby store for me to try these on, I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's had experience in these models.

Last edited:

BluMtn

WKR
I actually wear both of those Hanwags. They fit my feet like they were Taylor made. My tarta's have several thousand miles on them and still have life left in them. The Alaskans have under a thousand miles on them and are extremely comfortable, they are my second set of Alaskans.

OP
gobears870

gobears870

Lil-Rokslider
Would you say they are narrower than other brands? I read the Tarta has a smaller toe box - was there a noticeable difference there?

My 9.5D Lowas fit perfectly. I wear a 10.5D in La Sportiva because they are not only so much shorter in the same size, but narrow as well.

I use a pair of Hanwag Tatras (Mark 1, no GTX, so the older, plain leather model) for years now (get new soles whenever necessary) and they fit like a glove. I just love them. Very recently I got myself a pair of Lowa Renegades (GTX) as a lighter, waterproof alternative. I'm fine with the Lowas fit around the heel but I find the toebox pretty roomy. I guess it is safe to say that the Tatras are a tighter fit compared to the Renegades.

thewileyone

Lil-Rokslider
Owned 2 pairs of Hanwag and several sets of Lowas. I prefer Lowa for my feet. I wear Lowa almost daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

worx53

WKR
Lowa tibets are bomb proof. I wear wides. Hanwag are a no go. Crispi in wide fit well. Meindl Alaska hikers are similar to Lowa Tibet and fit very well and I have had zero leaks or issues on 2 pairs in an 8 year span.

Lowa tibets are bomb proof. I wear wides. Hanwag are a no go. Crispi in wide fit well. Meindl Alaska hikers are similar to Lowa Tibet and fit very well and I have had zero leaks or issues on 2 pairs in an 8 year span.

Why are the Hanwags a no go? Is it a matter of fit or did they have quality issues? Just interested.

TX_Diver

WKR
Lowa seems to generally have a bit more volume than Hanwag and also comes in wide sizes.

I played with some ticams and alverstones yesterday. Really wanted to like the alverstones but just not enough volume in the toe box. The ticams seem great and a little less clunky than my tibets. Will post a better comparison later.

BvdwBvgh.jpg

vSCSJknh.jpg

VezfObRh.jpg

jpmulk

WKR
For what its worth, ive worn the same caminos for going on 6 years i think. Might try another pair. Lowa is a solid brand to my knowledge.

TX_Diver

WKR
Here's my recent boots tested/thoughts.

I have been running Lowa Tibets and love the fit of boot for me. But, the band is only lasting a year and coming off at toe and separating on the sides. Leaking also. I could have sent them both back to have work done on them but time you pay for work and shipping I didn’t think it was worth it. Disappointed in their service and warranty.

Bought a new pair of Zamberlan to try. Breaking in right now. Need another pair of something as I like to have two pairs. For how much boots cost I do expect them to last a 3 years without issues.

Looking forward to hearing some other options to consider.

Hanwag Ancash is made for wide feet. It’s a wide specific last.

worx53

WKR
Hanwag Ancash is made for wide feet. It’s a wide specific last.

I specifically tried Hanwag Makra looking for a light boot and they were not wide enough. I’d try those Ancash sometime… don’t think I’ve ever seen a bunch of reviews on it.

I specifically tried Hanwag Makra looking for a light boot and they were not wide enough. I’d try those Ancash sometime… don’t think I’ve ever seen a bunch of reviews on it.

Here are the different lasts.

Marka I think is a typical alpine narrow last. Ancash is not light though it’s an all leather boot

TX_Diver

WKR
Here are the different lasts.

Marka I think is a typical alpine narrow last. Ancash is not light though it’s an all leather boot
Is there somewhere they say which ones are which last? I see it on the anash page, but if I pull up the alverstone, tatra, etc. I don't see it mentioned which last they use....

Is there somewhere they say which ones are which last? I see it on the anash page, but if I pull up the alverstone, tatra, etc. I don't see it mentioned which last they use....
I think it’s normal last unless stated other wise. Example the tatra has wide, and bunion specific models.

OP
gobears870

gobears870

Lil-Rokslider
Boot Quest 2022 has concluded. I've spent a little time around a few models to replace my Lowa Caminos, and here's what I've found:

Hanwag Tatra Top
Ordered size 10M based on recommendation from GoHunt and Hanwag customer service (I was 9.5M in Lowa). These are a real burly boot - I was impressed with the finish and how stiff the sole and leather uppers were. I thought there were possibly too many seams along the bottom. Ball bearing eyelets are great. However, I didn't really get to put these through the paces as they were too long for me. I thought the width was fine on my foot. I didn't exchange them for a 9.5 to see if they were any better, but I have a feeling I would be between sizes. I do think this boot would probably take me a while to break in if it fit me well.

Lowa Tibet GTX
Always loved the look of these and wanted to try them out. Everywhere I looked folks said to go a half-size down, even from other Lowas, so that's what I did with a 9M. And they were too short. Go figure. It's a shame because I really liked how these looked and they had the rigidity I wanted. Also think they are just right on height, but that's a personal preference.

Schnee's Beartooth 0g
The Schnee's online chat rep (which is a great feature, BTW) suggested sticking with 9.5M if I wore that in Lowa. And, damn. These fit like a glove on length/width and they feel like butter. The SympaTex lining really seems to make a difference in the comfort department apart from overall fit. There was no question when trying these on that these are "the ones." My only complaint is while the locking eyelet is nice, the eyelets below it are pretty slick, and tightening them up properly is a little tricky. The October sale on them was absolutely smoking - 40% off - and I'm looking forward to getting after it with them.

So the lesson after all of this, to me, is if you wear a boot in a brand/model that is pretty true-to-size, and you're looking at other brands that aren't really wonky (like La Sportiva), you're probably better off just ordering that same size in other brands as a baseline for where to go next, if you need to move sizes at all.

Last edited:

Extrapale

WKR
I would not shy away from Lowa. They stayed waterproof longer that the rest of the boot lasted for the ones I have had.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk