Books to read while hunting

Just wanted to get some input on great books to read while stuck in a tent for hours on end or sitting and glassing for days on end.

I’ve heard of a book written about hunting Alaska and back country experiences but I can’t remember the name. Maybes someone knows of this book.

Open to all suggestions

I have 9 days and then it’s headed north!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bugger

FNG
I’ve read Alaska’s wolf man, From out of the Yukon, and The rifleman in Alaska. All good options to take you back in time 70-100 years!

The Adventures of the Mountain Men by Stephen Brennan
In the Land of the Red Goat by Bob Henderson
My Life with the Eskimo by Vilhjalmur Stefansson

Maidenfan539

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not a book, but I have really enjoyed listening to audio books while in a tent and glassing. Just finished 2 Tom Clancy books. "Without remorse" and "Rainbow Six". It is kind of nice to put 1 ear bud in and have a free ear for critters. Can download them to your phone so you can keep it in airplane mode.

The Old Man and the Boy by Robert Ruark is terrific. Meateater did an audio only book “The Longhunters” which is solid. “American Serengeti” by Dan Flores.

Wolf-haters are going to crucify me for it, but “American Wolf” by Nate Blakesley I found fascinating.

Louis L'amour paperbacks are my go-to for hunting trips. They're easy reads and small enough to fit in my pants pocket. If Westerns aren't your cup of tea, here are some Alaska-specific recommendations: Alaska's Wolf Man by Jim Rearden, Coming into the Country by John McPhee, One Man's Wilderness by Dick Proenneke

Drenalin

WKR.
Alaska’s Wolf Man
Empire of the Summer Moon
Undaunted Courage
Crow Killer
Band of Brothers

I’m also a fan of Jack London books, specifically Smoke Bellew and Burning Daylight.

WMR

Lil-Rokslider
The late Ben East published several collections of adventure/survival accounts. I think most are from his work at OL. REALLY good reading. Used copies are cheap on Amazon.

How about downloading a bunch of YouTube episodes of Scary Bear Attacks? Maybe not the best choice for the faint of heart. 😳