Bone saw for Alaska

jmez

WKR
Yes that is what I am talking about. The wire varies from batch to batch. You will get a roll that you can't hardly break and the next on three strokes and it comes apart. It also helps to roll out about 2x the length of wire you think you will need and then use long, slow even strokes rather than short and fast. Wire lasts longer and doesn't bind near as bad.

Those are really nice handles as well. Can get cheaper ones, can also take a piece of dowell and cut to desired length. Drill a small hole that the wire just fits through and tied a couple knots in the wire. This works good and is very light to pack.

OP
B

bobhunts

WKR
I bought the Wyoming saw as it has come with so many good reviews and some extra blades..The bone saw blades. There are three of us going and we will distribute weight as needed but so far I am the only only one doing so much planning. I just do not want to be there wishing I had been more prepared than I was. Same way with hip waders. I guess any of them will work but I want to buy a pair that has stood the test of time and people keep using them because of that! I was advised to not wear any boot made of leather where we are gonna be hunting. Rubber boots and hip waders.

Simple carpenter saw that tapers toward the tip. You don't have to put it together. Comes in handy for all sorts of things.

I carry one of these in my pack every day. It is great for dressing and dealing with animals, cutting firewood, or logs on the trail. I have the short version. It lashes on the bottom of the pack very nicely in the scabbard it comes in. Not very heavy and tough as nails. Fits the hand very well and works great.

The Dandy Saw

http://robertsonenterprises.net/Bea...in_page=product_info&cPath=9_8&products_id=22

They make larger sizes for other jobs also, even two handled saws for larger logs and firewood cutting.

OP
B

bobhunts

WKR
Not sure if anyone is following this thread anymore but I did get a chance to actually see the Sawvivor at the Denver ISE show last weekend. Caribou gear sells them on there web site and I saw one at there booth. They do seem to be lighter and actually well built. I already bought the Wyoming saw otherwise I would have bought this one. They did tell me they are at a three month back order on these. The saw also fits into a smaller sheath. Not sure about the blade lenght but it looked to be about the same as the smaller Wyoming saw. Might get one anyways and just go and try the two out cutting some fire wood when I try out my new pack when it is shipped.Bob.

bowuntr

WKR
You will not regret the Wyoming saw. Mine is probably close to 20 years old and has seen almost everything... Ed F