Bombproof water bladder?

I’ve had 2 Source water bladders fail in the past couple of years. I’ve not been particularly hard on them either. Are there some proven, battle-hardy bladder systems out there you could recommend?

bigbaddad71

Lil-Rokslider
I've put my Osprey through it, it's still going strong..

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
Take a look at Katadyn BeFree water bottles. They come in a couple sizes and have a filter attached to the cap. Just dip it in the creek or lake and you are ready to drink! Where you have water sources available it will save you lugging a hefty bladder around. I pretty much drink as I go where I know there are water sources rather than carrying all the weight! You can also use them to load up other light water bottles for camp, etc.

They are one of the lightest weight units available. Lots of great reviews! I converted to BeFree for bighorn scouting/hunting this year and was impressed!

CNOCs are pretty popular among the thru-hike community. Many examples have been used for hundreds of days.

I only recently bought one so can’t speak to long term durability yet.

Brewski

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using the same MSR dromedary for the past 7 years, so it gets my vote!

Fozzy26

Lil-Rokslider
As far as hosed water bladders, I have used platypus and hydrapak. Both have been great. Hydrapak is what I currently have and seems sturdier than the platypus. As far as like storage bladders, the MSR dromedary is awesome. Dromlite is good too but just lighter and not as durable as the dromedary (disclaimer, they won’t stand up to a bear. I had my water bladders shredded by a bear last year when I took them up for a water drop). Other than that they are great haha

JPD350

WKR
MSR's are tough bags for sure but what I don't like about them is that when filled they are like big fat water pillows, I still use them but mostly they are camp bladders. My Platypus bladder has pretty tough as well but it has an attachment rib in the middle of the bag to keep the bag flat, it is my main water bladder.

I've had a Camelback and a Source bag fail

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've been using this Military Spec 3L Camelbak for the past 15 years without any issues other than having to replace a couple o-rings that wore out. I also have the adapter on my Katadyn filter so I can fill it directly through the drink tube.

1000D cordura nylon on the MSR Dromedary...there's nothing else like it on the market. I've had good luck with a few others (Hydrapak, Osprey), but the MSR is the only one I'd call bombproof.

Fozzy26

Lil-Rokslider
MSR's are tough bags for sure but what I don't like about them is that when filled they are like big fat water pillows, I still use them but mostly they are camp bladders. My Platypus bladder has pretty tough as well but it has an attachment rib in the middle of the bag to keep the bag flat, it is my main water bladder.

I've had a Camelback and a Source bag fail
I’d agree with you. I run hydrapak for my carry/hosed bladder and the dromedary are best meant for storage at camp

JPD350

WKR
Interesting tests!
I hang the Platypus bladder between the frame of the pack and the bag, for the first year I did this I was concerned because when I am geared up for a pack in or I am packing out meat there is a bunch of pressure on the bladder but anymore I don't have any concerns. As for my MSR, I often have to haul water where I go and I always put the MSR inside another ultralight bag, I do trust how tough the MSR is but I can't have any kind of water failure inside of my pack.

The weakest link is if you leave the bite valve open and you set your pack down on the valve and all of you water drains out, this happened to me twice and both times it was at the worst time possible.

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
20+ years on my MSR 3L dromedary. It's probably not even safe to use anymore but i'm afraid to replace it. Make sure you let it dry completely after every trip and periodically replace the hose.

pirogue

WKR
Used the Camelback or 2 for several years. For a MSR dromedary for storage at campsite.
Got the osprey a couple seasons ago, and like the closing/sealing feature.

OP
darcytribe
Thanks for the feedback! I ordered a hydropak yesterday. We’ll see how well it holds up.

WTFJohn

WKR
I’ve had 2 Source water bladders fail in the past couple of years. I’ve not been particularly hard on them either. Are there some proven, battle-hardy bladder systems out there you could recommend?

A 1L Nalgene (w/ HumanGear CapCap) and a 2L HydraPak has been the toughest & lightest combo I've been able to find that still works with a SteriPen. For additional water storage in drier areas I augment with a MSR Dromedary in camp.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6bfa.jpg