Bolt action coating options

I have a stainless fieldcraft im going to have a few things done to and curious about coating options.
Plan to cerakote the barrel and action.
Cerakote,Nitride and dlc for the bolt?
I want to do everything possible for rust protection and mainly wondering about the best option for the bolt.
I don’t want to take any chances on messing anything up.

Mag_7s

WKR
I would nitride the bolt if possible. I have 3 actions with nitride and one cerakote. However the one with cerakote I left the bolt just polished. In my experience all coatings will wear with use, but i think nitride is the better coating. The quality of the stainless steel and your care will ultimately dictate corrosion.

jhm2023

WKR
The bolt on the fieldcrafts are already NP3 coated, which is a great coating. Only downside to it is not matching the cerakote you may put on the barreled action. I think my wife's fieldcraft is cerakoted over the NP3, it was the dealer exclusive version that came cerakoted so I'm guessing.

OP
C
The bolt on the fieldcrafts are already NP3 coated, which is a great coating. Only downside to it is not matching the cerakote you may put on the barreled action. I think my wife's fieldcraft is cerakoted over the NP3, it was the dealer exclusive version that came cerakoted so I'm guessing.
Wasn’t aware of that.
Could always do something like titanium or sniper grey and leave bolt,it would contrast well I think.

Look up “birdsong black T” if you want the very best.

As an added bonus it costs less than about anything else availabl.

Dave
I only have experience with one rifle with the Black T and I really like how it looks and so far its holding up great. From my understanding this is a better way to go for a custom action since its thinner than Cerakote so things should keep running smoother.

TaperPin

WKR
The thickness of cerakote may reduce bolt/action clearances too much. Some new guns with coated bolts are machined with extra bolt slop. Some gunsmiths open up the action with a reamer prior to coating, which gives me the willeys.

It’s one of those things that has to be done well or it can cause problems down the road. If they open up the action and you later decide the wear in the coating is a bummer, removing it now makes the bolt sloppier than it was to start with.

If your action has a lot of slop to begin with it might not have any issues.

I had two Tikka bolts cerakoted and althoug it looks sweet and was supposedly a thinner black cerakote it definitely made things stickier and it doesn't run as smooth as my other bolts. I would not recommend. Currently trying to figure out the best lube options for trying to improve it.

Yeah, i'd be cautious before having the inside of an action and bolt cerakoted.

I don't know the ins and outs of what to do but some smiths seem to do better not messing it up. Seems like micro slick is preferable to standard cerakote?

Nhenry

Lil-Rokslider
Well. I may be an outlier but I significantly increased the slickness of my already-slick 700's bolt when I cerakoted my action with H-series and the bolt with E-series (which is said to rival teflon). I will probably leave the bolt uncoated in future builds, though.

FB Trout

Lil-Rokslider
I have had a one Tikka bolt cerakoted as well, and as noted, it’s a bit stickier than an uncoated bolt. I also have a NULA 6.5 Creedmoor, which is precursor to and very similar to a Fieldcraft. I had the action and the bolt cerakoted by LRI and I think due to the very tight tolerances prior to coating, it has made me the bolt more prone to binding. I would not recommend.

OP
C
Seems they have the e series now in two different grey.
Any experience in the difference or just marketing.
Carbon is looking good,maybe do just the bolt handle and shroud black and leave bolt .

Attachments

• IMG_0484.png
    IMG_0484.png
    528.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0485.png
    IMG_0485.png
    302.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0483.png
    IMG_0483.png
    551.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0486.png
    IMG_0486.png
    318.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0487.png
    IMG_0487.png
    73 KB · Views: 6
OP
C
Does the barrel and action have to come apart to cerakote different colors or can you mask one off?

Does the barrel and action have to come apart to cerakote different colors or can you mask one off?
In a perfect scenario they'd be disassembled and degreased, if they go into the oven assembled there's always a chance of anti sieze or other assembly lube creeping out of assembled joints and ruining the finish.