Bogpod trekking pole mod

Moserkr

WKR
Hey guys,

Looking to turn my bogpod into a multi-purpose tool, and this is being done by others as well in a similar fashion. Instead of modifying trekking poles to be part of a tripod, I want to mod my bogpod tripod into trekking poles. It is already set up with a fluid head for glassing (old one lying around), and a shooting rest (bogpod accessory). Right now the total weight of the bogpod, head, and yoke is 54 oz. Not horrible if I can leave my trekking poles behind which saves a pound.

To mod it, the top of the bogpod has its poles attached by a simple rivet. I plan on drilling out the rivet on 2/3 of the tripod legs so that they are removable. This is where I need your help!! Im looking for the quick connect clamps that trekking poles use so that I can put them at the attachment point where i remove the rivet. It should allow me to unlock and lock the legs in place quickly. Pics are attached. Any suggestion on where to find the quick flip lock pole clamps would be much appreciated. I have tried the googles and amazon jungle to no avail so far. Also contacted bogpod with no response.

For the price, weight, and height its not a bad deal. Especially since that 54oz total weight includes a 16oz head Im using, as well as a rifle rest. I can also use a pole for my solo tipi and 2 poles for trekking.

All suggestions and criticism welcome. Since I already owned all this stuff, I like the low cost for my set up. I am interested in getting that 54oz even lower though.

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• A9E62058-BB38-4016-A04D-4FE18D104B90.jpeg
    A9E62058-BB38-4016-A04D-4FE18D104B90.jpeg
    217.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 9211D42B-4310-4BE3-B704-588CDB78FFAA.jpeg
    9211D42B-4310-4BE3-B704-588CDB78FFAA.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 49

BCoker

FNG
Why not just replace the bolts that holt it to the yoke with something that can be used with bare hands like a bolt and wing nut, or a quick release bolt like on a bike?

• Banned
OP
Moserkr

Moserkr

WKR
Why not just replace the bolts that holt it to the yoke with something that can be used with bare hands like a bolt and wing nut, or a quick release bolt like on a bike?
Ill check out the qr bolt for the bike but ill pass on a screw and wing nut. Id like the release parts to be attached and very quick. I dont want to fumble with or lose little parts.

22lr

WKR
Just seeing this thread. Any luck? Super interested in doing this.

If you have done it, how are the poles holding up to trekking use?

• Banned
OP
Moserkr

Moserkr

WKR
@22lr So far I have only gotten a hold of bog pod to see about getting the extra clamps. They took a while to get back to me but finally did and said i could order the pieces i want from their customer service. Have not done it yet since hunting season ended for me. Been putting my motivation into my boat restoration for fishing lol.

To answer your durability question for the poles, I did just take an allen head and regular wrench out this past season, and used them to disconnect the 2 legs to use as poles. Long term durability is questionable as they seem a little wobbly. Not tight tolerances or very sturdy metal. I only used them when packing out weight for balance but I wouldnt lean on em like I would with normal trekking poles. May have to replace that metal or debate a different option. Is it doable yes, but the poles are weaker than expected for trekking use.

22lr

WKR
@22lr So far I have only gotten a hold of bog pod to see about getting the extra clamps. They took a while to get back to me but finally did and said i could order the pieces i want from their customer service. Have not done it yet since hunting season ended for me. Been putting my motivation into my boat restoration for fishing lol.

To answer your durability question for the poles, I did just take an allen head and regular wrench out this past season, and used them to disconnect the 2 legs to use as poles. Long term durability is questionable as they seem a little wobbly. Not tight tolerances or very sturdy metal. I only used them when packing out weight for balance but I wouldnt lean on em like I would with normal trekking poles. May have to replace that metal or debate a different option. Is it doable yes, but the poles are weaker than expected for trekking use.
Thanks for that! Helps a ton!

Now I wonder about other tripod options that might work... lol

WKR
If it's already wobbly it's probably not going to hold up long term but it's a but it's an interesting experiment.
Most hardware stores will have pins with hasps of all sizes. No parts too lose, except the whole thing.

When the legs are out, would the tip of a trekking pole fit in there well? You could drill the tips and pin them like the originals. And you'd have more solid sticks hiking out.
Just a thought.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Banned
OP
Moserkr

Moserkr

WKR

Check out this thread for ideas. Something between what Im trying and where i want to end up. Dont have time to tinker right now unfortunately.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I think Field Research makes a tripod like this with legs that all come off.

There are also some tripods where one leg comes off to become a monopod. That might be another option.

I wouldn't try to use tripod legs as treking pole legs, I don't think they would take the same abuse. Treking poles as tripod legs makes more sense to me.

But, there is probably a reason they are shaped differently.

Reactions: 406