Blisters drove me off the mountain

I tried the leukotape p for the first time this past weekend and it worked great. Before we left I asked my buddy if his boots ever gave him blisters he said yes so I gave him some tape also. I worked well for both of us, 22+ Miles is two days and no blisters for either of us. My boots had given me a blister on the heel of my right foot on a hike two weeks prior. I don't even carry moleskin anymore, just leukotape and athletic tape wrapped around the platic cup part of my jet boil.

Some people are actually allergic to the adhesive in duct tape and it can make a bad situation worse. Lucky for me I am ok with the adhesive and use it when in the mountains. Better to tape up before the blisters are bad than to wait until they are unbearable and they can get really bad fast.
I also try and get dry socks on any chance that I get and keep rotating them and drying out the wet ones.

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
Dry socks were a luxury I didn't have. Neither were dry boots. I'm not kidding when I say that it rained/sleeted/snowed for almost 48 hours. My feet would've been toast in trail runners as well. Gonna look into different inserts and contact L&S since that's where I bought the boot originally. Stocking up on some leukotape as well soon as I get home.

Stid2677

WKR
Here is what works for me,, good worn in boots, to start with. Pretape with leukotape p, I pack 3 or 4 pair of "BLACK" only Darn Toughs, the black dries much faster than other colors. Once my boots get soaked and they always will without fail,, I stop change into dry socks and slip on my pair of Rocky brand Goretex socks. I tried the seal skin and they were too thick. Once I walk my boots dry I take off the Rocky's, I take them off and turn them inside out to dry each night and have a pair of fleece socks for sleeping only to allow my feet to dry at night and harden back up.

Another item I have discovered is my feet swell almost up to one full size larger during a trip, so I have up sized my boots and use socks and different volume liners to adjust fit.

Also helps to soak your feet in a cold water source each evening if available.

Managing your feet is a critical part of back pack hunting.

Another item I have discovered is my feet swell almost up to one full size larger during a trip, so I have up sized my boots and use socks and different volume liners to adjust fit.

Also helps to soak your feet in a cold water source each evening if available.

Managing your feet is a critical part of back pack hunting.
i dealt with alot of foot swell my last trip as well. not something im used to. i blame the elevation.

DaveC

WKR
Ouch, that looks gnarly. Hard to tell what is a blister from heel lift (I assume), and what is macerated skin from (perhaps) too much time under duct tape and/or generally soft feet.

First, you need boots that fit. Any heel movement whatsoever is totally unacceptable. If you have to buy boots or shoes with less then ideal tread, durability, color, etc to get a perfect fit, do it.

Second, you need to find the above in a shoe/boot which has enough midfoot and forefoot room to accomodate the aforementioned swelling, which is inevitable and can be considerable. Feet mostly swell in volume, not length.

Third, toughen your feet better pre-season. This cannot be accomplished on pavement. If you live in Missouri or some other unfortunate place, you'll need to get creative with finding adequately steep terrrain. I backpack year-round in the mountains so I'm sorted here.

Beyond that, I'm still trying to sort out hunting footwear. I haven't used boots or waterproof footwear backpacking for years, and regard doing so as a rather quaint practice. While fall backpacking wet feet aren't such a big deal, just wear light neo socks if it's cold and if your feet get cold, hike faster. As you found out, keeping your feet dry is usually not possible, so why worry. The problem hunting is that you don't have all-day movement as a resource for foot heat. Still not sure what the solution is.

The stiff boots which seem to be the norm hunting make the above fit issues pretty difficult to negotiate, especially heel lift. They're also heavy. Carrying a big pack over rough terrain certain demands more padding and stiffness than carrying a light pack on a trail, but I don't see mountaineering class boots as necessary for most people just about anywhere. Get strong feet and carrying 50 pounds in gnarly terrain in mid-structure trail runners is very doable.

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
Rodney, REI mountain gaiters, darn tough socks (merino), and a silk liner.

DaveC, thanks for the input buddy, how do you suggest I toughen up my feet living in Houston at about 100' above sea level? I trained with a pack on and put 20-25 miles on these boots before taking them with me.

2ski

WKR

DaveC, thanks for the input buddy, how do you suggest I toughen up my feet living in Houston at about 100' above sea level? I trained with a pack on and put 20-25 miles on these boots before taking them with me.
I would walk on shards of broken glass......just kidding obviously.

Sorry that sucks about your hunt.

moxford

Lil-Rokslider
+1 for Merino socks. I'll get hotspots but they never seem to develop into blisters. I use the thick double-layer ones even in the summer. The extra wicking and "merino on merino" action helps the chafing a ton.

Always take a spare set of socks, or two if you think you're going to hit rain. Socks are pretty light and easily one of the most important things to have. Swap out for dry ones at night. Hike with the wet ones in your jacket if you have WPB shell ... the body heat will help dry them out as you hike/hunt. You can dry them close to the stove/fire too, because merino can handle the heat better than any synthetic ... they don't melt. If you have a synth bag you can do the same thing at night. Don't do it with down though or you risk compromising the down bag.

Feel for you from experience! Nothing I can offer better than stid2677. Hope you heal up and can get back at them. Oh, I believe it's been decided you might owe your wife a spa day too, she seems like a good one so life is still good brother!

rm06

WKR
Ooof - sorry to hear you had to cut your trip short. Unfortunately I've been in the same position with boots that my feet outgrew (grew 1/2 size over the space of a couple of years). Absolutely miserable.

Scot E

Lil-Rokslider
My sore feet issues of any kind, including blisters, were drastically improved when I started wearing 2 pairs of merino socks. It works so well I started buying all of my boots a bit wider so two pairs would fit. Sock thickness depends on what the boot you have requires for a proper fit. With my Meindl's, which I absolutely love, I wear and thin and medium pair and they are perfect! May want to try it. For blisters they keep your feet dry which helps but more importantly the friction on any skin is removed as it is the two pairs that slide.

Hope this helps,

Scot

bobhunts

WKR
I will agree to buy a pair of boots that fit your! feet. All of us have a different shape and for some easier to find the fit. When I first looked at your pics I thought this was gonna be a thread about Kennetreks. I know by experience on what brand fits my feet. Sorry about ending the hunt but I can understand it. Bob.

rodney482

WKR
Wet from sweat?

I have the same boot and just put 60 miles on them in 7 devils.
I wore gaiters and Darn Toughs as well.. With no issues.
Blisters suck

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
This.

I was gonna say...could've been worse. Trip could've been cut short by search and rescue! ;)

Easy you...or I'll go get an hour and a half massage tomorrow and leave you with the kiddos ;)

Wet from sweat?

I have the same boot and just put 60 miles on them in 7 devils.
I wore gaiters and Darn Toughs as well.. With no issues.
Blisters suck

Nah mostly rain and snow. Make it a habit to change my socks at every meal to keep the moisture down. They're solid boots, hoping that L&S can make me a foot bed that'll fix the issue.

I am surprised you got blisters from those particular boots. Just goes to show you, everyone's feet are different. I cannot count the miles I've got on my Solomans, they fit like a glove too.