Blaze Wool Jacket....any good options?

Idaboy

WKR
Hunting whitetails in MN I always used Blaze Orange Wool jackets (insulated but with Blaze Wool exterior) but can't seem to find them anymore. Anyone have a source or woolen mills place still making these or is just all the big box synthetic stuff. Trying to find a new wool jacket for my dad. Not just a " heavy wool shirt", but actual insulated jacket...does not have to be gortex

OP
Idaboy

Idaboy

WKR
Surely someone in the Midwest or Northeastern US hunts in Blaze orange wool?

Wow! Things have changed a lot over the past few years. I hunt with a 100% wool Johnson Woolen Mills Jac-Shirt in Blaze Orange. I can remember looking at Blaze Orange wool from Bemidji Woolen Mills when I made my purchase a few years ago. Now when I look at both websites there's hardly anything offered in Blaze Orange and much fewer color selections than before. I think you're only option might be to use the classic Red/Black with orange vest over it. Wool seems to have fallen out of favor, even in the Northeast. Most guys I see are using synthetic camo with orange vest over it.

DooleyVT

Lil-Rokslider
I live a few towns over from Johnson Wool and I know they have a full blaze orange jacket in the store but I don’t think it’s insulated. I bought the grey uninsulated one last season there and just wear layers. Much easier to control my temperature.

To be honest, I wear an even brighter synthetic vest over my orange Jac-Shirt. I don't find orange wool bright enough.

324matt

Lil-Rokslider
Filson ridgeway fleece in blaze

Stormy Kromer wool vest in blaze

Those are 2 I have used and approve of

Search blaze orange wool on eBay. Lots of results

Maverick1

WKR
I use the same base layers and outer layers hunting with a bow or rifle. The only thing I do during the rifle season is add an inexpensive orange vest.

Hunt4lyf

Lil-Rokslider
Big woods bucks has a green check wool jacket with a blaze cape that snaps on and off but I don’t believe it’s insulated.