Blacktail in Southern Oregon

Tesoro

Lil-Rokslider
I am planning on hunting in the Kalmiopsis wilderness area in 2022 I am from Out of state and I am scouting with google earth and onX hunt I was just wondering if Chetco river area holds good deer numbers or if I’m on the wrong track I have not hunted black tail deer but from what I have read it sounds a lot like hunting Coues deer in the south lots of glassing I can handle that I spend a lot of time in the glass and I am willing to hike to get away from the pressure of other hunters I just need to know if I am wasting time looking at that area
did you?

How did any of you do for rifle this year? I went out a ton in the tiller/Butte falls areas and saw 14 does and not a single buck. I'm 40 and just learning to hunt but have consistently struck out since moving to OR from AK 11 years ago. I keep hearing the soda mtn area is good but it's a bit overwhelming on where to even start down there..
I hunted the Roseburg area which is almost southern Oregon and saw quite a few deer.. that tiller area is loaded with deer. Hunt the burns and clear cuts and you'll find deer... key to finding deer is find them in the spring, and be there in the fall

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
I am jumping in on this. My son and I are planning a Blacktail and bear hunt for this fall. I will be coming from Georgia and he will be coming from Arizona. The plan right now is to fly into Medford, get together, pick up a rental vehicle, and quickly get into some quality hunting territory. The where and how are to be determined because this will be our first time hunting Blacktail and neither of us have ever been to Oregon. Any advice is welcome.

I'm not familiar with that part of the world for hunting but later in the season is always better

Eastfork

FNG
I am jumping in on this. My son and I are planning a Blacktail and bear hunt for this fall. I will be coming from Georgia and he will be coming from Arizona. The plan right now is to fly into Medford, get together, pick up a rental vehicle, and quickly get into some quality hunting territory. The where and how are to be determined because this will be our first time hunting Blacktail and neither of us have ever been to Oregon. Any advice is welcome.
are you rifle hunting?

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
Applegate/Rogue/Chetco unit.

Pick a spot and go
Well, I am on the right track then. That is my plan so far. What about private land? I am reading that some timber company land is available to hunt. Some charge and some don’t. Is there a published list of properties I can access? I checked the websites of some of the big timber companies. Looks like a few of 3 to 4 hundred would give me access to hundreds of thousands of acres. That is a deal for a local, but unless I know the spot to hunt is in on that timber track not worth it for me.

Good luck to you and your son. I'm heading out that way for the first time this year also. Just working out the travel logistics now, and saw you intend to fly into Medford. I need to check into that for availability and pricing. I'm originating in Tampa, and was going to fly into Portland.

Again, best of luck.

La43!

FNG
There are elk in the Kalmiopisis however, most people who draw the Chetco Elk tag hunt timberland near the coast. Good luck.
I heard that you have to pay to hunt the timber land and that it’s hard to even get permission on some of the land. I have tried to find out who and how to contact the land owner and have struck out is just decided to hunt the wilderness.

repins05

WKR
Best advice I have is to schedule the hunt the last week of the season. Blacktail can be like ghosts (especially in NW Oregon with the thick cover). I have been hunting in Southern Oregon for quite a few years in the Sodas and the open terrain makes it somewhat easier to hunt. Hunting during the rut (or beginning of) usually makes the difference of filling your tag or not. I have had many seasons come down to the last day of the season.....sometimes the last few minutes of shooting light in the evening.

I heard that you have to pay to hunt the timber land and that it’s hard to even get permission on some of the land. I have tried to find out who and how to contact the land owner and have struck out is just decided to hunt the wilderness.
Weyerhaeuser property is a permit system now ans they have leases as well. To get a permit you need to buy one when they come on sale, they have a bunch tracts and most have already been put up for sale and sold out.
They definitely aren't necessary. Most every other land owner allows access. Some is walk in, some not. It's usually posted well at access points

La43!

FNG
Weyerhaeuser property is a permit system now ans they have leases as well. To get a permit you need to buy one when they come on sale, they have a bunch tracts and most have already been put up for sale and sold out.
They definitely aren't necessary. Most every other land owner allows access. Some is walk in, some not. It's usually posted well at access points

Thanks for the info I have some research to do before the 2023 season on some of those properties

Dshore

FNG
There are some monster hybridized Blacktail/Mule deer in southern oregon in the valley near Medford/Ashland. It is also much drier over there vs the rainforest at the coast!