Blackhorn 209 price "what the hell"

Muleyczy

Lil-Rokslider
The price has definitely gone crazy, and maybe I’m missing something or simply don’t shoot enough. An 8oz jug is 3500 grains (ish). If shooting 90gr volume (63gr weight) that’s approximately 55-56 shots. That’s a bunch of muzzleloader shots imo and Id probably only go through 1-2 a year. That aside it’s certainly pricey, but so is everything else.

I will have to admit my sins....

I bought Cabelas out of 300 grain Hornady SST muzzleloader bullets. Since I couldn't find anything else to spend my Christmas gift card on in the entire store, so I picked up the remaining three boxes of those bullets that they had. Hornady has for some stupid reason discontinued these GREAT bullets.

I left their overpriced BH209 sitting right there though. I have a couple pounds of it, and I guess that will likely outlast me.

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody ever try making black powder at home? Sure it would be hard to get good consistency, but it sounds like a fun project.

Lytro

WKR
I'm okay with the prices if it deters people from hoarding. I'll gladly pay 2x+ for BH over 777 to avoid swabbing every 3 shots.

Dented

WKR
I use 777 in my ultralight. I get far more then 3 shots before I swab. And if I move to patched ball I get around 25 before I need to stop.

Could be the olive oil I use for patch lube. Kirkland Extra Virgin, for the 1 shot kill with the Italian flair. And it's good for your cholesterol! 😅

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Are there that many more ML shooters since Covid started, or are they just limiting the supply intentionally to drive up the prices. Were shooters hoarding the stuff before covid when it was $35 for 10oz? At $3.50/oz that new 8oz bottle would be around $28, not $100. Even with raw material price increases $100 indicates something else going on there.

CorbLand

WKR
I will have to admit my sins....

I bought Cabelas out of 300 grain Hornady SST muzzleloader bullets. Since I couldn't find anything else to spend my Christmas gift card on in the entire store, so I picked up the remaining three boxes of those bullets that they had. Hornady has for some stupid reason discontinued these GREAT bullets.

I left their overpriced BH209 sitting right there though. I have a couple pounds of it, and I guess that will likely outlast me.
The local store here was pretty stocked on them the other day. If you want more, let me know and I can ship some to you.

Where did you see they were discontinued?

Last edited:
Thanks but I think I have plenty at this point. Let those ones go to someone else I guess.

Midway said they were discontinued and then I check honradys website and they don't show them as a product anymore. Now, today, I check and they are still available. So who knows??

Bucky

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah shits like gold. Hard to find in Wi. Got a couple at cabelas and I can say I have spent money better but a guy needs it to kill some critters