Black ovis down and rain gear feedback

HuntNTag

WKR
Hello Roksliders,

anyone have these and what are your thoughts? I saw the posts from last year on dwr for the down jacket and pant but was wondering with a year down, if thoughts and usage from folks on herechanged for the worse or better? I use the chugach gear from KUIU along with the super down pro but I’m looking to add a second grouping in solids for both rain gear and down. I figured I might go with a less pricey option And these might be a good opportunity. Great pricing right now so I figure if there is some real experience out there with these, it would be a great time to snag them.

https://www.blackovis.com/blackovis-anchor-point-800-fill-welded-down-jacket

https://www.blackovis.com/blackovis-hailstone-waterproof-rain-jacket

Turkeyfreak12

Lil-Rokslider
There’s was a thread on the down on here and it seemed to have positive reviews. Would use the search feature for it. It made me think about going that route to have one as well. My buddy bought the rain jacket and he likes it but he is using it sparingly as he lives in the southeast and hunts out west 1-2 times a year.

• Banned
OP
HuntNTag

HuntNTag

WKR
There’s was a thread on the down on here and it seemed to have positive reviews. Would use the search feature for it. It made me think about going that route to have one as well. My buddy bought the rain jacket and he likes it but he is using it sparingly as he lives in the southeast and hunts out west 1-2 times a year.
Ya, I saw the thread on the down. Seemed like the DWR or lack of it was a main concern. Didn’t know if some folks had some hard core use with it and would buy it again or stay away but it looks like a great buy. Sometimes that’s great and sometimes deceiving ;)

Thanks for the add. +1 for some positive on the rain gear.

Switchback outdoors has a review by 3 of them on a recent video they posted. Seemed like it was a pretty decent jacket especially for the price point.

Vaultman

WKR
I picked up the BO Anchor Point puffy jacket a few weeks back from another member on here. I have not had it long, and have not worn it out hunting, but it has been on a few day hikes and some daily around town wearing. So far so good.

I have a kryptek ares that is warmer but also a few ounces heavier. That is the only other down puffy that I have to compare it to. I did have a uncompahgre 2.0 that I got a killer deal on, but gave that one away. I suspect the uncompahgre and anchor point are about the same warmth, but haven't compared them SxS.

Last edited:

Jbxl20

WKR
I have the pants. I used them twice in Colorado last September for elk and used them a lot here in PA during bear and deer season. I’m happy with them.

• Banned
OP
HuntNTag

HuntNTag

WKR
Good deal! I’m looking forward to using them. Nice to have a solid color to the clothing line as well since I have mostly Kuiu gear in the vias.

Jbxl20

WKR
Good deal! I’m looking forward to using them. Nice to have a solid color to the clothing line as well since I have mostly Kuiu gear in the vias.
Same here. I used them over my attacks. I wear a 32x32 pant and the medium puffy pants could be little smaller around the waist but the work well

OP
HuntNTag

HuntNTag

WKR
Gotcha. I order the jacket and pant in a large. I’m a 34x32. Figured if I layered they would be good. Hoping they aren’t too big!

Vaultman

WKR
Had a chance to test my new Anchor Point jacket. Wore it all day today (8am-3:30pm) and it was 30° this morning and the high was 37°. I was not just sitting outside but I was not super mobile either.
Had it on with a standard Carhart zip hoodie to protect the down jacket from damage. I wasn't cold at all. I would say that is a good insulation layer.

ccarter

FNG
Just got the Hailstone Rain Pants last weekend. I also have lots of Kuiu Vias shirts/jackets, but use Cabela's Outfitter Camp Space Rain for a rain jacket, etc. So the brown color kind of blends with the tones in the camp pretty well. I'm normally 32WX31L and I got the larges. I like the fit. they're plenty roomy for fitting over my attack pants, and there would be room if I decided to wear puffy pants under them as well.

There are two snaps at the bottom that allow you to adjust how tight the pants fit around your boots, and the zippers are two-way, so you can access your pant pockets underneath the rain pants pretty easily. The material is not as thin as the Cabela's Space Rain gear– but probably a hair thinner than the Kuiu Chugach rain gear. I would say that the material is also less rigid than the Kuiu and Sitka rain gear I've handled, and it is definitely quieter too. Over all, I think I'll like them. I generally hunt New Mexico, Utah and Colorado, so it's not truly rainy territory. I think they'll do well for occasional thunderstorms, sitting in snow, or keeping the wind off when needed. Haven't tested them in the real world yet, but that's my initial thoughts after receiving them. Hope this is helpful to anyone considering them.

Bump79

WKR
Just got the Hailstone Rain Pants last weekend. I also have lots of Kuiu Vias shirts/jackets, but use Cabela's Outfitter Camp Space Rain for a rain jacket, etc. So the brown color kind of blends with the tones in the camp pretty well. I'm normally 32WX31L and I got the larges. I like the fit. they're plenty roomy for fitting over my attack pants, and there would be room if I decided to wear puffy pants under them as well.

There are two snaps at the bottom that allow you to adjust how tight the pants fit around your boots, and the zippers are two-way, so you can access your pant pockets underneath the rain pants pretty easily. The material is not as thin as the Cabela's Space Rain gear– but probably a hair thinner than the Kuiu Chugach rain gear. I would say that the material is also less rigid than the Kuiu and Sitka rain gear I've handled, and it is definitely quieter too. Over all, I think I'll like them. I generally hunt New Mexico, Utah and Colorado, so it's not truly rainy territory. I think they'll do well for occasional thunderstorms, sitting in snow, or keeping the wind off when needed. Haven't tested them in the real world yet, but that's my initial thoughts after receiving them. Hope this is helpful to anyone considering them.
I am looking at switching from my Chugach to a different rain gear. The Chugach is great, love the breathability but it is just too loud to be versatile enough for me.

How would you compare the noise of the Hailstone to other rain gear?

ccarter

FNG
Sorry Bump79, just saw this. I'd say that the noise on the Hailstones is quieter than the Chugach. It feels less rigid to me. Not saying it's silent, but it doesn't have that stiff 'crinkle' that a lot of rain gear seems to have. Hope this helps.

Bump79

WKR
Sorry Bump79, just saw this. I'd say that the noise on the Hailstones is quieter than the Chugach. It feels less rigid to me. Not saying it's silent, but it doesn't have that stiff 'crinkle' that a lot of rain gear seems to have. Hope this helps.
That's very helpful! I love the breathability of the Chugach but it just doesn't cut it for me when I'm not out west. Different gear needs and I'm trying to find that balance.