Black gold whitetail or Spot Hogg fast Eddie

Mitten_archery13

FNG
Classified Approved
I am looking at these two sights for a Mathews v3 27.
Will be shooting a heavy FMJ arrow (600+ grains) fletched with feathers.

Black Gold Whitetail (new) $210

Spot Hogg Fast Eddie dual pin Nock On edition (used) $190
This sight comes with a light and two sight rings. White/ green/ white and an all white ring. Need to purchase sight tapes.

I’m leaning towards the SH because of third axis adjustment and being dual pins. Also that seems to be a good deal for the sight.
Black Gold interests me because the tape is on the inside, brighter pins without a light and it’s nearly half the weight.

How much does 3rd axis matter when hunting from a saddle/ tree stand?

I’m looking for input from anybody with experience between the two sights.

Furthest shot would be 40-45 yards at 20-25’ in the tree.

Thank you.

Zac

WKR
I didn’t know MBG didn’t have a 3rd on some models. So I would always go with the option that gives you a 3rd. Never hurts to have it.

Spot Hogg hands down
Sight tape is only 10-15$ online and you'll be getting a better sight with more features for basically the same price...... would be a no brainer for me

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
I can't comment on the MBG, however I have a Fast Eddie Triple stack and other then the overly large sight housing have been very pleased with the sight. I haven't had a need for using a light as the pins are well lite as is while in a tree at dusk. You become adjusted to the tape being on the outside fairly quickly.

Last edited:

N2TRKYS

WKR
I never cared for SH, so I wouldn’t choose it. I don’t worry about 3rd axis and haven’t seen a reason to.

jbelz

Lil-Rokslider
You're going to want the 3rd axis adjustment, unless you plan to never shoot at an angle.

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
I like the Spot Hogg sights over the Black Gold. I think SH builds a more durable product. The Black Gold pins are better in my opinion.

I'd lean towards the Fast Eddie. I have one on my bow currently and it's been perfect.

I don't think 3rd axis is quite as big of a deal inside 25 yards, but if you start shooting angles beyond that. You're going to want to be able to adjust the 3rd axis.

Long Cut

WKR
I’ve owned several SH & BG sights on multiple different bows. I will take BG sights for bow hunting whitetails every single time. The pin brightest sets them apart.
Durability wise, I’ve dropped a bow out of a tree, onto a BG sight and didn’t have any issues.

That’s my .02

Kularrow

WKR
I wouldn’t buy a MBG that didn’t have micro wind, micro elevation and micro pins. I had the mountain lite and currently have the Pro Sight, world of difference with the pro pins and micro adjustments.

OP
Mitten_archery13

Mitten_archery13

FNG
Classified Approved
Thank you for the responses and input and sorry for my delay in responding. Was out of town with no service.

I decided to purchase the Spot Hogg Fast Eddie. My budget was $200 and felt the SH was a better deal.

It arrived today and will be fletching arrows tomorrow. Should have the bow setup and shooting by next weekend.