black bears on carcasses

HTNFSH

FNG
I'm heading out this year for elk season and have a bear tag in my pocket. (Secondary hunting opportunity)

How often do you bear guys run across them on a carcass from an elk hunt? I know this question might be better answered in the elk forum, but I wanted to start here. I have never shot a bear, but I am looking forward to the opportunity.

depends on bear density, but in the places I elk hunt I see 1 bear per year whether or not I'm near a carcass

Geewhiz

WKR
Often. IME and in many areas I hunt, a carcass will often have a bear on it within a couple of days. Although to hunt off of a carcass for a bear when elk hunting to me sounds like a waste of time. But 🤷‍♂️

TaperPin

WKR
The last elk I boned out had a bear on it for what looked like 10 days - he didn’t let it out of sight and bedded in the grass all around it until it was gone.

Dead pack horses or other big dead animals are all good sources of black bears, but it’s rare to have one close enough to do you any good.

Poser

WKR
I hunt Bear every September and I've yet to come across an elk carcass while doing so. I attribute this to the fact there aren't very many elk hunters out in the habitat bears are focusing on for pre hibernation calories, nor are there very many elk in that same habitat. No doubt, there is an intersection of bear and elk carcasses during this time, but the prime habitats for each don't overlap a whole lot during this timeframe.

Here's my analysis:
-Killing an elk while out hunting elk in September is generally a more strategic affair, with some luck at play.
-Killing a bear while out elk hunting in September is, for the most part, an almost entirely random affair.
-Killing a bear while out September bear hunting is more of a "playing the percentages" affair of being in the right habitat at the right time.

OP
HTNFSH

HTNFSH

FNG
Thanks for the advice all.

I came across a bruiser last year at 30 yards, but no tag. He had no qualms about getting close. That was after he stood tall on a log while making a significant noise to turn him around. He walked off as if I was never there. deaf bear....? hahaha

TaperPin

WKR

I came across a bruiser last year at 30 yards, but no tag. He had no qualms about getting close. That was after he stood tall on a log while making a significant noise to turn him around. He walked off as if I was never there. deaf bear....? hahaha
Cataracts, Covid ruined his sense of smell, and ears full of wax that a little Asian gal needs to flush out on YouTube. Lol

Geewhiz

WKR

I've walked right up to bears on carcasses, couple of times I couldn't get them to leave. Only thing is I don't really think I'd like to process/eat a bear that has been feeding off of maggots and rotting rumen.

The area of sw CO I've hunted in the past my outfitter/guide friend would put hunters on the gut pile the day after they finished the pack out. Viable opportunistic hunting strategy. Applicable to black bear hunting. Big no no in Griz country, if you value limb and life.

Last edited:

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
I killed a bear off an elk carcass in November, 10 or so years back. 16” of snow on the ground. Pretty cool. I’ve noticed on my elk carcasses during archery the past few years, they get picked over by the ravens so fast there is typically nothing left but bones and hide 24 hours after the packout

I encountered 2 different bears within 100 yards of my elk carcass in CO this year on the day after I shot it while I was making trips down to the truck. Hung my quarters a little higher that night.

Michigander

Lil-Rokslider
I killed a bear that was on a mule deer carcass a couple years ago. Not sure what the cause of death was on the deer. I glassed the bear bedded before I saw the deer she was laying next to. This was in sage brush and grass land Colorado, I wasn't expecting to see any bears.