Black Bear Wallows

208hntr

FNG
In doing some summer scouting for elk, I came across what looked like a well-used elk wallow.
With hopes of seeing some nice bulls, I put up a trail camera nearby.
To my surprise, I found out the primary users of the wallow are several different black bears!
That got me thinking.. do any of you ever hunt wallows for black bears? Would that be a better spring or fall strategy?
I don't recall anyone ever suggesting it as a strategy, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Maybe their wallow usage decreases in the cooler seasons?
Also, do you think their presence deters elk?
I'm interested to hear your thoughts!
Thanks

bearwallow.1.jpgbearwallow.2.jpg

medvedyt

Lil-Rokslider
certainly the same as wild boars and bison to protect against insects. i shot a black bear that was full of mud and wondered why seems you certainly gave me the answer.

It’s money in the fall IF……. The food source is close. If not, it will go dry. See it every year, see them practically doing the back stroke in waterholes. I have some videos that after watching it’s almost hard to shoot them the stuff the do.

Fall bears just don’t interest me like the spring and they’re lucky.

medvedyt

Lil-Rokslider
It’s money in the fall IF……. The food source is close. If not, it will go dry. See it every year, see them practically doing the back stroke in waterholes. I have some videos that after watching it’s almost hard to shoot them the stuff the do.

try a blue berry fed fall black or grizzly and you might change your mind ...

bigbassin

Lil-Rokslider
I had never heard of a black bear wallow, second forum I’ve seen wallows discussed on this week. I believe that guy said he had never previously sat on a wallow, but was thinking about trying this fall.

Edit: wrong word

Last edited:
OP
208hntr

208hntr

FNG

There are tons of huckleberries, chokecherries, and mountain ash near there. I’ve seen scat piles full of those berries in the fall, so maybe the bears will still be using it! I’ve generally punched my Idaho tag in the spring.. I might have to hold out until fall and get a berry-fed bear!

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
kkr