Black Bear hunting resources

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
Curious if anyone had any resources to help with the learning curve for bear hunting. I don't really have any mentor to learn from, only my father who did one guided bear hunt in Canada 25+ years ago.

Listening to Remmi Warren's pod cast last week got me thinking about it. Mostly interested in western spot and stalk, spring and fall. Not interested in hunting them over bait.

Short of "just put boots on the ground" is there anything worth checking out for books/video series etc?

OP
flyfisher117

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
Ultimate Guide to Black Bear Hunting by Doug Boze. There are a few threads on here that were pretty helpful.
Thanks, I did have that in my Amazon cart but didn't know if it was any good. I'll check it out some more.

Been searching and finding good info sprinkled into a few threads. Any threads specifically you have liked? I suck with the search feature so it's a lot of sifting.

colby12

WKR
Not off the top of my head. I’d have to go back through them again. Boiled down it’s going to be find south facing slopes, find the food and elevation, sit and glass all day but especially until dark. In the fall, find the food and water.

Elkhntr08

WKR
A second for Doug Boze’s book. It’s an easy read and covers multiple methods of hunting.
Whether I’m hunting bait or stalking, I like to carry a predator call with me. Adds some excitement to slow times.

Curious if anyone had any resources to help with the learning curve for bear hunting. I don't really have any mentor to learn from, only my father who did one guided bear hunt in Canada 25+ years ago.

Listening to Remmi Warren's pod cast last week got me thinking about it. Mostly interested in western spot and stalk, spring and fall. Not interested in hunting them over bait.

Short of "just put boots on the ground" is there anything worth checking out for books/video series etc?

I have only been bear hunting one time so far, so take this how you will. While I agree that there is much to be learned by just going out and hunting like another mentioned, there is also much to learn from those who are willing to share their experiences. I have found a lot of information from YouTube, forums, as well as podcasts. After watching numerous videos and listening to many podcasts, you'll notice a lot of repeating themes or tactics; three of which were mentioned earlier. South facing slope, correct elevation, food source (spring). Brian Call makes some really good videos with his associates on YouTube and they have a vast podcast library.

OP
flyfisher117

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
A second for Doug Boze’s book. It’s an easy read and covers multiple methods of hunting.
Whether I’m hunting bait or stalking, I like to carry a predator call with me. Adds some excitement to slow times.
Thanks, just got the book last Friday so I'll start digging into it.

I stumbled on a YouTube video where they were calling bears. I may have to brush up on the hand calling for giggles. I've lost that skill but should be able to get it back.

I have only killed one bear, so take this with a grain on water. The day i killed me bear, i had on 2 sets of rain pants, I had rubber bibs over my gortex, it was raining that hard.

OP
flyfisher117

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
I have only been bear hunting one time so far, so take this how you will. While I agree that there is much to be learned by just going out and hunting like another mentioned, there is also much to learn from those who are willing to share their experiences. I have found a lot of information from YouTube, forums, as well as podcasts. After watching numerous videos and listening to many podcasts, you'll notice a lot of repeating themes or tactics; three of which were mentioned earlier. South facing slope, correct elevation, food source (spring). Brian Call makes some really good videos with his associates on YouTube and they have a vast podcast library.
Thanks I'll check out the Brian Call podcast. That's what I'm after now. Tidbits of info, life isn't going to let me spend many days in the field this year so I have extra time at home to try and absorb anything I can.
I have only killed one bear, so take this with a grain on water. The day i killed me bear, i had on 2 sets of rain pants, I had rubber bibs over my gortex, it was raining that hard.
Sounds like North Idaho.. every run in I had with bears and moose up there was during a downpour. Ha

rw79

FNG

Have you watched the YouTube Channel: Gritty - Brian Call? They have a ton of great bear hunting videos with good information on how they hunt them. Keep in mind they are hardcore backcountry hunters but you can adjust what they do to meet your needs.

drpnw

FNG
will be also helpful to try to focus in on spring versus fall since the strategies are a bit different given the food / weather situations

OP
flyfisher117

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
In addition to Boze's book, check out this one - https://www.3riversarchery.com/tracking-the-american-black-bear-book.html
A lot on understanding bears, great writing and field stories, too.
Thanks I'll check it out
Have you watched the YouTube Channel: Gritty - Brian Call? They have a ton of great bear hunting videos with good information on how they hunt them. Keep in mind they are hardcore backcountry hunters but you can adjust what they do to meet your needs.
Not yet. Never heard of him until someone above mentioned. I have found his podcast and started sifting through it though.
will be also helpful to try to focus in on spring versus fall since the strategies are a bit different given the food / weather situations
Thanks yeah I'm focusing on spring currently. Fall I usually have too much other shit going on ha

drpnw

FNG
if you're focused on spring, i would double down on the gritty recommendation but id say absolutely watch the hunts while i dont know that the podcast content is that helpful. they have posted a lot of content over the past 3-4 years on spring bear. he is a controversial figure, but the hunting content stands for itself. And I guess one more name to throw in the hat is cliff gray. He is another ex-guide youtuber that is worth listening to imo. His content is more advice oriented, not filmed hunts.

I listened to a few podcasts from the rich outdoors then just went out. Don’t kill one every time but always find them. There’s some basics with green up and habitat but other than that just get out and hunt. But hunt with good glass. Experience will beat books every time

N9Line

FNG
I've learned a lot from taking a little bit from this source or a little bit from that source. The YouTube hunters (Samong Outdoors, Brian Call, Ryan Lampers, Caccia Outdoors) give a great perspective on how to get it done. I've yet to tag a bear, but I've had more than 10 opportunities that in retrospect I just flat out dropped the ball on.

OP
flyfisher117

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
if you're focused on spring, i would double down on the gritty recommendation but id say absolutely watch the hunts while i dont know that the podcast content is that helpful. they have posted a lot of content over the past 3-4 years on spring bear. he is a controversial figure, but the hunting content stands for itself. And I guess one more name to throw in the hat is cliff gray. He is another ex-guide youtuber that is worth listening to imo. His content is more advice oriented, not filmed hunts.
Ok I have seen Gritty. I stumbled on one of his deer hunt videos a while ago. Didn't realize who it was. Podcasts are easy I just listen to them at work. I do enjoy videos just seeing what they do and seeing how they move helps.

Ill check out Cliff Gray
I've learned a lot from taking a little bit from this source or a little bit from that source. The YouTube hunters (Samong Outdoors, Brian Call, Ryan Lampers, Caccia Outdoors) give a great perspective on how to get it done. I've yet to tag a bear, but I've had more than 10 opportunities that in retrospect I just flat out dropped the ball on.
Yeah that's all I'm after little tips or tidbits or bits of knowledge I can pick up. I get 40 hours a week minimum of time to consume something. Might not get anything useful but who knows. Ha

Learn how bears live, think, act. Then you can start “seeing” habitat instead of just driving by wondering where to step off. South facing hills when the sun is out, what are they eating at what time of year, which terrain is most likely holding what the bears are looking for, be it fresh grass, fish, sows in heat, etc.
Be the bear…
Pic of me punching my tag several years ago. Black spot at bottom of the hill is the dead bear. This time of year the bears were coming to the fresh grass in the utility ROWs. Fish weren’t running yet.
IMG_3952.jpeg