Bivy sack vs nest in Seek Outside shelter

Hello Rokslide. I'm looking to hopefully have folks chime in with their experience around the following scenario.

I have a Seek Outside Cimarron Light with their medium stove. My wife and I use it floorless for winter camping trips. I've also used it floorless for fall hunting trips, but the increasing prevalence of ticks and Lyme disease in my area has me reluctant to do so when the temperatures are not below zero and lots of snow on the ground. I'm hunting in Ontario, Canada so our weather conditions during hunting season are quite cold compared to most.

I'm looking for a enclosed sleep option within the shelter.

The first option is the Seek Outside 1/2 nest. Advantages would be that it allows a spacious area secure from ticks and other insects and it will obviously work seamlessly with the Cimarron being made by Seek Outside.

The second option is a minimalist bivy sack like the Outdoor Research Helium. I'm thinking advantages of this approach are easier to use while running the stove (much more clearance from the stove vs the 1/2 nest), more room inside the shelter when not sleeping, and the option to use the bivy independently on other trips (e.g. under tarp, in lean-to).

The weight on the bivy vs 1/2 nest is pretty comparable, but the 1/2 nest is literally 2-3 times bulkier packed than the bivy packed.

At this point I am leaning toward the bivy - but keen to hear the experience of others.

Interesting question. Curious to see what input some may have. one of my buddies on a recent trip treats the outside bottom of his mesh nest with permethrin For tics. It’s an interesting idea that hadn’t previously occurred to me.

Redcliffe here. I had a half nest made and used for a season or two but we ended up getting two MLD bivys and have been much happier with that setup.

The seek outside nest in the Cimmeron would give you enough room for 2 if it was the wife I believe. I have the standard version and there’s enough room for the stove but it would get tight with the stove placement in the light model. For me, the nest is used for summer trips (live in NC with ticks and critters) and a Borah bivy in the winter. The bivy packs down so much smaller then the nest will.

Fish_monger

Lil-Rokslider
For reference: Cimarron / half nest / (oversized) Borah bivy. The half nest is compressed pretty good into the stuff sack. The bivy is fairly loose and could probably pack down to half the size shown. I’ve also slept 2 guys over 6’ in the nest fairly comfortably.

CDA1A04E-68C4-4DAC-A4A9-6BFB87E2A80A.jpeg

Last edited:

Roughout

FNG
While not necessarily on same train of thought, bivy helps shed condensation/rain/runoff. Just ran bivy in Redcliff in AK, we were blessed with good weather for AK, but glad I had it the nights it poured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

acmcgaha

FNG
The seek outside nest in the Cimmeron would give you enough room for 2 if it was the wife I believe. I have the standard version and there’s enough room for the stove but it would get tight with the stove placement in the light model. For me, the nest is used for summer trips (live in NC with ticks and critters) and a Borah bivy in the winter. The bivy packs down so much smaller then the nest will.
I know this is old, but just ordered a Redcliffe, and need to sleep at least 3 (one of which is me who is a "full grown" man :)). I liked the idea of the Cimarron with the full nest in the Summer, but was afraid the Cimarron could get cramped. Looking at the Borah bug bivy. Is that what you are using or are you using the standard bivy? TIA

ethan

WKR
I’ve actually used both in my Redcliff. The nest works great if my wife is with me, but if ticks are out and it’s just me and a buddy or whatever I use a bug bivy and leave both doors open and use the shelter more like a regular tarp. Both work well

I know this is old, but just ordered a Redcliffe, and need to sleep at least 3 (one of which is me who is a "full grown" man :)). I liked the idea of the Cimarron with the full nest in the Summer, but was afraid the Cimarron could get cramped. Looking at the Borah bug bivy. Is that what you are using or are you using the standard bivy? TIA
I believe it’s their standard untralight, but with some extra length and width. Im 6’4” and reached out after ordering with my height/weight. John was quick to respond and altered as needed. Did the same on a 2nd order for my dad. Borah was great to work with.