Bivvy for use in Ultamid 2?

Villreinjeger

Lil-Rokslider
Have a Ultamid 2, and looking foran Light (!!!) bivvy to keep my down bag dry.

Will the MLD Superlight Bivy be satisfactory in really wet and windy weather,or should I keep looking?

I would think it would work fine. I use a Ti Goat Kestrel and sometimes a Borah Gear bivy that has bug netting on the top 1/3. Both work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
V

Villreinjeger

Lil-Rokslider
I very much appreciate your write up from Kodiak trip!

In severe rain and wind, would you do a trip with the mentioned Mid and bivvy?

Thinking of taking it to the West coast og New Zealand for sn alpine hunt for Tahr and chammy.

Hope one day to be able to afford a sheep/goat hunt too.

I had issues with precipitation on that hunt mainly because the ground got saturated and there was nowhere for the water to go. In hindsight I think a UL wt. cot would have been a game changer for me, and I have since picked one up but haven't had a chance to use it yet. If you're only dealing with condensation and damp ground, you should have no problems with that shelter/bivy combination. However, I know that parts of New Zealand can get a considerable amount of rainfall and, obviously, if you have sitting water or running water through your shelter, the only thing that's really going to make much difference I think is something that will keep you elevated, i.e., a cot or hammock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Nick-D

FNG
I very much appreciate your write up from Kodiak trip!

In severe rain and wind, would you do a trip with the mentioned Mid and bivvy?

Thinking of taking it to the West coast og New Zealand for sn alpine hunt for Tahr and chammy.

Hope one day to be able to afford a sheep/goat hunt too.

The west coast of NZ is the wettest place in the country. It gets a rediculous amount of rain. It is also very buggy (sandflies) in the lowland areas. A bathtub mid inner would be the way to go for a west coast system, you add a bit of weight but gain a place you can withdraw from the bugs or spend a couple of days waiting out a downpour