Biting off a big chew!

squirrel

WKR
This summer is going to be my biggest undertaking yet. I have 2-3year old males ready for trail training and just picked up 7 females from 2-5 yrs that were never touched. Throw in 19 trained males needing conditioning and I may have to live on brook trout this summer.

Girls are well on the way after one week of halter/lead/trailer/tether training. Tons of progress accomplished by daily repetitive training IMG_2644.jpeg

thats awesome, I hope to one day have a big enough place I can start raising them as well, they are such fun and so rewarding. incredible animals and the different personalities are so much fun as well.

OP
S

squirrel

WKR
Spearing walleye now, settling an estate, watching DEEP snow melt slowly. It's gonna be a late season so I need to get the yard training done and launch into the hikable time with both feet on the ground. Right now the girls are getting laid regular/like so I have some llamas to sell soon.

Safe to say I need a 500+ mile summer once it starts in earnest. 1000 would be better, and my free help is off on a northern rockies tour this summer...

With 32 llamas now I have officially reached the stage where it is not workable by myself to get the new ones trained and the old ones conditioned before hunting season busy time.

But brook trout in butter sweet corn in the fire, and sweet cherries for desert have a way of attracting more free help... until they get spit on anyway.

Zackcarp

FNG
We took some 2 year olds out for a first trail walk. Everything was going great till my helper in the back lost her llama. Took about 3 hours to round it up. But I definitely wouldn't want to do it alone.
20230615_191738.jpg

OP
S

squirrel

WKR
First day of saddle yesterday x 7 Starting to be pretty predictable which will do well and which will try to kill me, the class rankings are starting to take shape. Overall nottempImageg17MVE.jpg a bad class to work with, the best looking is the biggest problem bitch. Who could have foreseen that in a group of women?

tempImageKgMIF5.jpgtempImagetcWtrs.jpg

OP
S

squirrel

WKR
4/7 took panniers quite well. I’ve had much worse. I guess nothing is wrong with no fireworks on the 4th.

Attachments

• IMG_2776.jpeg
    IMG_2776.jpeg
    575.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2775.jpeg
    IMG_2775.jpeg
    676.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2774.jpeg
    IMG_2774.jpeg
    541 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2773.jpeg
    IMG_2773.jpeg
    549.3 KB · Views: 16
looking good, I feel bad I haven't had my boys out in over a week, been so busy, hope to get them on the trail for 3-4 night trip this friday

OP
S

squirrel

WKR
One month in juggling the new ones with the need to condition my older experienced tempImagepIgbbK.jpgboys. Just got back from a 23 mile run in 3 days. Hard monsoon rains daily made for miserable conditions but it sure was pretty when the rain stopped.
tempimagejc0qzi-jpg.584068
tempImageIxazbb.jpgtempImagedkwxhZ.jpg

Attachments

• tempImageJc0Qzi.jpg
    tempImageJc0Qzi.jpg
    577.5 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

Lock

FNG
Just got horses and mules last year and really wonder about using stock like llamas to get a kill down off areas I wouldn't take my horses. Good luck this season!

OP
S

squirrel

WKR
while smaller and nimbler than horses for really rough extracts I would look more to smaller and nimbler, like goats or pack dogs.