Birthday Shoot

What's shakin' RS?

My wife has been trying to decide what to plan for my birthday coming up and came up with a cool idea of having a .22 shoot.

So I've been thinking of some cool shooting 'games' is you will to do, and figured I'd ask you all for some suggestions. There will be youth there as well, so it doesn't have to be one thing that everyone does, there could be multiple types of events. I'd love to hear if anyone has done something similar!

What I was thinking so far:
- random distance targets
- Best 5 shot group
- 3 shots prone, 3 shots kneeling, 3 shots offhand and score them
- above, but timed as well
- get a bunch of plinking trees, or resetting targets and see who can hit all of them the fastest

I look forward to seeing what comes up!

Thanks!

There is a "Peep Shoot" competition held in northern Minnesota every spring. Per the "Official" website, these are the rules. With a proper backstop 10 marshmallow peeps are skewered on 10 small wooden dowels.
10 targets at 25 yards (Rifle); 10 targets at 25 feet (Pistol).
• Targets are Peep bunnies on bamboo skewers.
• Last target of each course of fire is the “Money Bunny.” The Money Bunny will contain a 1”x1” ziplock “dimebag” filled with rimfire tannerite.
• Targets will be placed by alternating color 4”-6” apart and numbered 1 through 10 by signs under the bunnies.
• Shooters will receive 10 rounds of ammunition and will fire once at each target in numerical order from left to right.
• Shots must be taken within a reasonable time (1 minute for a round of 10 shots). This will not be enforced for youth division and will also be suspended during reloading and range breaks for safety purposes.

• Each bunny hit is worth 1 point. You may only score a point if you hit the bunny that corresponds to the number of shots you’ve fired this round. For example: There are 10 shots per round. If your second shot hit the second bunny in the line, you score a point. But, if your second shot hit the third bunny in the line, it is counted as a miss since it is assumed that you were shooting at the second bunny.
• The tenth bunny, known as the money bunny, is worth 1 bunny for a hit plus 5 points if the shot detonates the tannerite inside the bunny.

Enjoy!

Get 2 pieces of poster board and draw squares on it that match up with a battleship board. Have your wife or a buddy set up a battleship board next to them. Place at 200 yards and play battleship

remember in the movie "Major League" where every time they got a win they pulled a piece of tape of the cardboard lady owner...... well if you hire a stripper, cover her with pieces of tape, every time some one gets a bullseye you pull a piece of tape away!!

Wicked ideas!

My property used to be a gravel pit 30ish years ago, so I have a 20' high, 150' long sand berm that I can shoot into.

@MNGrouser I really like that setup. Luckily, I can get Tannerite up here, so that would be a fun addition. I assume with the Money Bunny, you just carve out a little cavity and shove the bag in there?

Not so much a game, but reactive targets are incredibly fun, especially for kids. And for people who just like to make things go splat, violently.

Some of the cheapest are on Amazon - run a search for "bulk condiment packets", and just tape them up on a big piece of cardboard. They splat great.

Balloons are a lot of fun as well, and can be had cheap.

One we did at a Project Appleseed event a few years back is to divide into teams, and then each team works together to shoot a stick/slat/plank in two. Kinda fun because it you're working in a team together with other folks (but also competing). Helps include folks of different abilities.

Something about the size of a shim or snow fence slat is about right.

Have fun and happy birthday!

One we did at a Project Appleseed event a few years back is to divide into teams, and then each team works together to shoot a stick/slat/plank in two. Kinda fun because it you're working in a team together with other folks (but also competing). Helps include folks of different abilities.

Something about the size of a shim or snow fence slat is about right.

Have fun and happy birthday!
Thanks! Great idea

You’re gonna shove WHAT up the backside of a marshmallow bunny? Does anyone know if I can get tannerite in NV?

As far as reactive targets… the best I ve ever seen is fill a 1/2 gal or bigger plastic milk jug with water all the way to the top. Screw the cap on tight. Shoot it with any high velocity center fire round. Big white splash. Laugh inducing.

If anyone has a potato gun… those are a ton of fun…. Also laugh inducing as no one expects to see a potato move like that.

Those plinking trees that flip the targets from one shooter to the other in a race are a ton of fun.
Yeah that's what I was originally thinking of, but I don't have any, and seeing as 10+ people will probably be shooting that would be quite the upfront cost to provide enough options lol.

I'd love to get them eventually for my kiddos to go out and start shooting them... I'm sure if I scrounge enough metal from the shop here, I can make some myself and save some dollars

Back