Bipod, tripod, or pack

What do you use on backpack hunts?

• Total voters
all of the above... i have all with me, and the scenario dictates the best tool. i have never shot off a tripod in the woods, but will be in the future... i always have one on rifle hunts, and certain scenarios, they are a big benefit. options are good, and packing things that are multi use is advisable.

I added a tripod to the arsenal this gear season. Had a really awkward shot on the mule deer I tagged last season where I was prone and sitting on a downward slope. I ended up having my bipod resting on my pack and was able to make a good enough position for a 300y shot but It would have been a ton easier with a tripod. I’ve also shot off the frame of my pack while sitting but the tripod has been leaps and bounds more steady. I’m debating not taking the bipod as the tripod gets plenty low and I rarely find my self in a situation I need to move that fast that it would be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I added a tripod to the arsenal this gear season. Had a really awkward shot on the mule deer I tagged last season where I was prone and sitting on a downward slope. I ended up having my bipod resting on my pack and was able to make a good enough position for a 300y shot but It would have been a ton easier with a tripod. I’ve also shot off the frame of my pack while sitting but the tripod has been leaps and bounds more steady. I’m debating not taking the bipod as the tripod gets plenty low and I rarely find my self in a situation I need to move that fast that it would be a problem.

I packed both a tripod and bipod around this season and even left the bipod behind a couple times. I kept taking the bipod off my rifle and putting it in my pack and figured it was just as fast to pull that out and put it on my rifle as the tripod and most shots were in tall grass it wouldn't work anyway.

slowelk

WKR
I'd like to ditch the bipod and use my pack (save 15oz) since I already carry a tripod, but have used my bipod on my last three kills.

jfs82

WKR
pack usually, have a tripod attachment for when it's feasible, no bipod for me.

I'd like to ditch the bipod and use my pack (save 15oz) since I already carry a tripod, but have used my bipod on my last three kills.

Me too. I’m definitely going to feel a little stressed not having it.

Picked up Spartan Ascent tripod this past fall. It has worked exceptionally well, for glassing, trekking poles, and in the end to shoot from.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am sure that it depends on where you are hunting but in CO a tripod is a game changer! Having the ability to clamp in and shoot from any height and at any angle is huge! If you are going to do it though make sure you have an Arca Rail rather than the tripod head just grabbing the outside of the rifle.

wakedye

Lil-Rokslider
I have previously carried a bipod and used it to shoot prone or even bipod on top of the pack when the height was needed. This year I am switching to a tripod because I have had shots the last 3 years where a tripod would have been 10 times better than the bipod and pack combo.

WCB

WKR
I have a tripod for glassing but shooting back pack, or a rock, or a tree. Shot hundreds of animals and have not been in a situation where a bipod or tripod was needed.

You can obviously lay across your pack...need a little more height maybe turn it on its side...a little more stand it on end, set it on your lap. With that said even though it was not needed I have shot a coupel animals from my tripod by just tilting the head to the side 90degrees and laying the gun across the top.

sndmn11

Well Known pink hat wearing Rokslider
My last few I have used a pack like a sand bag, with the spartan bipod in front of it pulled back like a barrier stop.