Binoculars

Hey everyone, I’m looking at buying either the Leupold BX-4s first generation or the Maven C.1s both 10x42. I’m interested what you guys think would be the better option out of the two? (Both are the same price at the moment)

OneH

FNG
Currently own the 8x42 C1 absolutely hate it's view through and below average image quality and extremely narrow FOV. I own lots of other Maven B series binoculars and scopes and this C1 is one of the major disappointments among couple other B series I thought weren't that good for the prices they sell for used which I unfortuneately bought plus based on my own personal experience dealing with their warranty several times already every single one sent in really takes forever well over two months waiting. None of them were serviced quicker than two and a half months. It's the longest wait time in wait time I've so far experienced regarding warranty for binoculars.

Had Gen 1 BX4 12x50 which sucked with way too much CA and I really thought the glass was sub par for a nearly $800 Japan made binoculars, my Chinese Sky Rover Banner Cloud APO literally smokes it for just over $600. The 10x42 cost $509 plus $50 FedEx expedited international shipping direct from China. Nothing can match their ultra wide FOV except for the Swarovski NL Pures which come close but the Banner Cloud looks wider with better sharpness at their outermost edges however center image sharpness is clearer sharper with the NL Pures. Brightness looks about even. If you don't mind made in China with a lifetime warranty direct from the manufacturer I highly doubt you'd be disappointed in any of the Banner Cloud APOs. The only negative are they are heavier than average. The glass they use are noticeably well above the typical $1000 Razor HD, Nikon Monarch HD and Conquest HD in optical clarity and their sheer lack of CA is incredible as well as the 5 or 6 position adjustable eyecups. In order to do better optically than these, you'd need to buy the Razor UHDs, SIG Zulu 10s, Maven B5 or Swarovski NL Pures. They're optically very similar to the Leupold BX5 Santiams but without the CA.

The only Leupold binoculars I'd recommend are the BX5 Santiams and I had used almost all of their lower to mid grade models and they were sub par below average optically. BX4 was a real disappointment IMHO due to the CA. The Scheel's Vortex Rage is clearer and easier to get behind and a lot cheaper.

I'd also recommend the Scheel's Vortex Rage HD currently on sale for $399. They're a little clearer than my Japan made Viper HDs and really close compared to the Razor HD. However if you can spare the extra cash to buy a Banner Cloud APO you absolutely will not regret it after looking through them. I'd consider them a truly one and done extremely affordable high end binoculars I bet most wouldn't ever consider upgrading unless they spend significantly more money to buy an NL Pure to use the Banner Cloud as a truck binoculars.

Currently running thr first gen BX4. I like them. But don't love them.

My biggest gripe is the shitty eye cup design. I use my eye cups. They suck because they keep moving on me. They have zero friction holding them. Leupold sent me a replacement pair and same story. I ended uo super gluing the one pair open to my desired spot.

They do have quite a bit of fisheye/edge distortion on the very edges of the image.

I wouldn't buy another pair unless it was used here gor a good price.

alexnelon

FNG
I'd be looking hard at the Athlon Cronus UHD and the Zeiss conquests that are on clearance everywhere.

I've looked through the c1 Mavens and they kinda suck overall. I decided to keep my $100 celestron binos and sent the Maven back that's how bad they were.