Big plug for black ovis. Huge disappointment with first lite

CBB15

Lil-Rokslider
This is a long overdue plug for the guys at Black Ovis.

Short story is I purchased some First Lite Benmore briefs through Ovise based upon the First Lite sizing chart. A low ticket item.

I called Ovis because I thought the First Lite recommended size was too large. They stood by the FL sizing chart recommendation.

When I received the briefs I had to open the plastic to try them on they were HUGE. Way too big, not at all consistent with their sizing chart. 2 of me could fit in them with room to spare.

A quick call to Ovis and a return label for the unopened pack was in my inbox. Ovis’s policy won’t allow returns on open packages underwear. Great. I have no problem with this policy due to hygiene issues.

Make a quick call to First Lite to let them know. After meeting with them at the DSC convention I expected reasonable service. Basic story is, they acknowledge their ongoing sizing chart errors and other company issues but they will not stand by their customer and refuse to take the briefs back. This is not about the money this is about standing by your product.

Fast forward to my credit card statement. I have a full refund from Ovis even though I only sent 1 pair back. So I call them to let them know they credited my account too much.

Their response: “Don’t worry about it.” They know the FL sizing is all fugged up but chose to stand behind their customer and ate what the manufacturer wouldn’t. I offered the briefs free to a larger fella employed. Wouldn’t take them back regardless.

That is customer service. I am a man of principles. I am done with First Lite. I will not purchase another item from them. All over an item that cost that company very little.

Black Ovis is a great compan. For those that have never ordered from them, give them a try. You won’t be disappointed

nrh6.7

WKR
Black Ovis is a fantastic company. I've purchased several things from them, but I've purchased a TON of items from First Lite, and their customer service is some of the best I've ever seen, and I'm tough to please.

Sorry, but you shouldn't expect a company to take back skivvies you've already worn. If they're that bad, sell them here and get your money back. I also have boxers from First Lite, and other than the length being too long, the waist fits as expected.

Everything I've bought from FL has fit per their sizing chart...everything. Maybe others have had issues.

KH_bowfly

Lil-Rokslider
I've worn medium everything for almost two decades. I've had issues with first lite sizing too. I wear a small in the shirts and boxers after trying mediums in both. I still find the small boxers too big, but it is mostly the length. It seems as though I wear a medium in the pants from the pair I tried on in a store - but don't own any yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black Ovis is a fantastic company. I've purchased several things from them, but I've purchased a TON of items from First Lite, and their customer service is some of the best I've ever seen, and I'm tough to please.

Sorry, but you shouldn't expect a company to take back skivvies you've already worn. If they're that bad, sell them here and get your money back. I also have boxers from First Lite, and other than the length being too long, the waist fits as expected.

Everything I've bought from FL has fit per their sizing chart...everything. Maybe others have had issues.

First lites sizing is an absolute cluster at this point. I’ve got quite a bit and have had even more at one point. Not a single piece fits like another, not one.

Llano XXL... good fit, little tight through the chest
Chama XL, dimensions are good, again little tight in the chest, ridiculously short, like impossible to cover my belt much less tuck it in.
Chama XXL good through the chest, OK length, fits huge in the body.
Puffy XL.... PERFECT
Halstead XL. Perfect in the chest, great length but it cuts into the midsection then flows back out, doesn’t have a draw cord so it’s drafty as a bastard.
Original stormtight XL, good length, but HUGE in the chest, super sloppy, yet the sleeves were cut pretty slim.

I’m not going to even mention the pants, as it’s all over the place.

Last edited:
Black ovis is phenomenal to deal with. Anytime I can buy from them I do! Now onto FL. I certainly hope that QC does some major overhauling this offseason because I've read countless reviews on lack of durability and sizing. If they don't do anything about some of the crappy products they have then they will lose out big time.

Kendall Card, owner of blackorvis & camofire is a stellar gentleman with immense knowledge of the products his companies sell. He's a bow hunter too. He sets the bar so high other companies need to charter a plane just to see it.

WKR
I have been pretty underwhelmed with FLs version of customer service.

Only ordered from BO once, no problems and the rokslide discount is good.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My experience with FL sizing is that I have had to upsize on all their merino wool tops and bottoms, but their jackets have been normal sizing for me.

Trial153

WKR
First lite sizing sucks. it been all over the map. its the main reason in won't deal with them anymore, it's not worth the added hassle. There customer service for me has been ok, not super but just ok.
I see both sides of the underwear deal and honestly think FL should have done something to make amends for it, even if it was just a token gesture.

only a handful of Black ovis orders for me and so far so good. They been quick and responsive. mostly mystery ranch and game bags....
thank reminds me in to get a cupoon code for them and grab a scape goat 25..

cg2737

WKR
I agree Black Ovis is a great company. The people you speak to on the phone are knowledgable and very helpful.

I agree that FL has some odd sizing. With FL tops I need to order down a size. The pants are tough due to them being S,M,L. That being said when my Red Desert boxers fell apart they replaced them and sent me a 25% off coupon for my next purchase. I am still a fan of FL. They put a ton on money into conservation, and they stand by the US Military, and Police.

Black Ovis is the best company I have dealt with, Fast, great discount, usually have what I want in stock and their website is easy to navigate- all keys for success.

The issue with FL's sizing discrepancies aren't new by any means. I purchased some FL merino pants in 2007 or '08 and per the Website was instructed to order a size larger than what I normally wear. Purchased a size L (I'm a 32x32) and they fit like skinny jeans. I contacted Camofire where I had purchased them and swapped for an XL. My Halstead fleece's sleeve length is about 3" too long, but I deal with it.

As far as BO, I purchased some broadheads from them that looked like they were machined with a hacksaw and not sharp. Contacted them and they refused to take them back. I was told to contact the company directly that made the broadheads as it wasn't BO's issue. I haven't purchased anything from them since.

fatbacks

WKR
Had to get something from black Ovis a day before my hunt. They kept me on the line, made sure it shipped same day and gave me a discount. Stellar customer service.

Then the first lite pants arrived. Button promptly fell off as I was trying them on. Had to go to a custom sewing shop to get replaced because no time for warranty service. First Lite makes great gear, but I agree that their QA/QC needs a bit of improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nrh6.7

WKR
First lites sizing is an absolute cluster at this point. I’ve got quite a bit and have had even more at one point. Not a single piece fits like another, not one.

Llano XXL... good fit, little tight through the chest
Chama XL, dimensions are good, again little tight in the chest, ridiculously short, like impossible to cover my belt much less tuck it in.
Chama XXL good through the chest, OK length, fits huge in the body.
Puffy XL.... PERFECT
Halstead XL. Perfect in the chest, great length but it cuts into the midsection then flows back out, doesn’t have a draw cord so it’s drafty as a bastard.
Original stormtight XL, good length, but HUGE in the chest, super sloppy, yet the sleeves were cut pretty slim.

I’m not going to even mention the pants, as it’s all over the place.

Maybe I've just been lucky then. The only two sizing issues I've had were the boxers, which were just too long and the Vapor stormtight, which FL took back. It was too small and didn't like at all. Everything else fits great and it sucks that everyone else has had so many issues. Hopefully they'll get things straightened out soon.

TJ

WKR
Black Ovis is great to deal with, fantastic customer service.

I have had very positive experience with First Lite with no sizing issues. I personally thought their customer service was also good.

No complaints here.

WesternHunter

Lil-Rokslider
As far as BO, I purchased some broadheads from them that looked like they were machined with a hacksaw and not sharp. Contacted them and they refused to take them back. I was told to contact the company directly that made the broadheads as it wasn't BO's issue. I haven't purchased anything from them since.

Care to share what broadheads they were and if you ever contacted the manufacturer?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Care to share what broadheads they were and if you ever contacted the manufacturer?

They were Wac 'Em broadheads. And yes, i did contact them and sent them back. They said that the BHs I bought were from the previous owners of Wac 'Em and the QC was lacking. Was sent some new ones from the owner himself and even spoke to him in the phone. Was pleased that he took care of the issue.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

WesternHunter

Lil-Rokslider
They were Wac 'Em broadheads. And yes, i did contact them and sent them back. They said that the BHs I bought were from the previous owners of Wac 'Em and the QC was lacking. Was sent some new ones from the owner himself and even spoke to him in the phone. Was pleased that he took care of the issue.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Glad to hear Wac Em got you taken care of. Those are always tough situations to handle for a retailer when they fulfilled the order but the OE quality wasn't up to par. I used to work customer service and can't tell you how many times I had to help with a scenario just like that.

Murdy

WKR
The only problem I've had with First Lite's sizing is the boxer-briefs. Outside of that, I thought they were a little on the big size, but not terribly far off. The boxer-briefs were huge.