Big horn action

Justin91

FNG
Im Thinking about building a 6.5 prc with a big horn action, I was wondering if anyone has had a good experience with them. Also what the difference is between the origin and SR3 if the price is worth the upgrade? Thank you

codym

WKR
I have all 3. The SR3 and TL3 have a couple more features than the origin. The origin has a swept bolt handle and rem 700 feed lips. The TL3 have various mag cuts and tang thicknesses, the SR3 has the same options as the TL3 but has the option for a cut that accommodates the Wyatt extended bdl mag box... Those are just some of the things I can think of off the top of my head, I know there is more differences. I love my TL3 and SR3 but it's really hard not to buy an origin and be done with the value they pack into that action.

hwy1strat

WKR
I have 2 TL3 actions and I love them. My favorite part is that I can buy profit barrels for it.

The Origin is their no frills option. It is designed to be budget friendly

The SR3 is geared more towards hunting rifle setups with a standard rem 700 feed well. If you wanted to run a bel/adl setup this is what you would need. They will also work with wyatts and aics mags.

The TL3 is geared more towards the tactical rifle setup and is made to feed from aics and aw mags.

You really can't go wrong with any of them, it really just depends on how you want to feed it.

m274

WKR
I have an Origin SA 6GT in an MDT ACC Chassis, an Origin LA 300PRC in an Manners EH-1 with DBM, and an Origin SA 25SST in McMillan with DBM. All shoot great and I have no regrets on the action. I do also have an ARC Mausingfield action but right now it has no barrel on it, the Origins take care of what I need.

OP
Justin91

Justin91

FNG
Thank you for your replies, it sounds like they are good actions. Does anyone know how much the origin short action weighs?

rootacres

WKR
Im Thinking about building a 6.5 prc with a big horn action, I was wondering if anyone has had a good experience with them. Also what the difference is between the origin and SR3 if the price is worth the upgrade? Thank you

I just finished a build with an Origin SA for a 7mm wsm. The thing is silky smooth and feeds like a dream (even out of a wsm). The Origin doesn't have the same feature set as the other models and that's where the savings comes in. The recoil lug is separate, and a 20 MOA rail is the only option. The extractor assembly is awesome.I picked it up for $825 at Northland. IMG_2110.jpg

Rooster22

FNG
I have a TL3 in 6.5 prc. I like it. Mine is in a Proof Switch rifle, just got the tools from proof to start trying some other calibers.

khuber84

WKR
Not a huge fan of the swept handle on the origin, I have one. It's a 25 creed prs build. Since I purchased a impact 737, it sits in the safe. They have heavier bolt lift than a lone peak, impact or kelbly. Mine seems to bind up during cycling more than my long action terminus or kelbly long action. They're priced cheaper than most because they are, that's just my opinion after owning one, as well many other custom actions. We all have opinions, and I know a lot of guys that like the origin. But get behind a Bat, Defiance, Impact or Terminus, and you feel the difference. I personally feel the kelbly atlas or bat ignitor are the best $1K action available, they can take shouldered prefits just like bighorn. Run much smoother, mechanical ejector, and nitride. I really suggest you play with a few before buying a budget action.

arios2

FNG
Love em! Controlled round feed, interchangeable bolt heads, variety of bolt handle options, nitride, and price is right! Got to light weight hunting rigs in 308 and 300 winmag.

IMG_0126.jpegIMG_0112.jpeg

I’ve got an TL3 that I really like. It’s morphed from a heavy 6.5 CM chassis gun geared toward range use, to a relatively lightweight hunting rifle. I now have 6.5 CM and 7 SAUM barrels for it. I plan on a 223 barrel at some point as well.

I’m interested in the bighorns as well. Seems to me the biggest price cut on the origin comes from being Crome moly instead of stainless. That and the rail and lug are pinned and not integral.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
With a Hunts Long Range recoil lug, you can run TL3 prefits on an Origin action, FYI.

Origin is a huge upgrade from Rem 700. TL3 are less of a jump in upgrade. But, many guys get caught by the bug and level up... the smoothness and other features call like a siren song...

Bigty50

FNG
Love em! Controlled round feed, interchangeable bolt heads, variety of bolt handle options, nitride, and price is right! Got to light weight hunting rigs in 308 and 300 winmag.

View attachment 252151View attachment 252152
Quick question! What stocks are you using for these two builds?? And what bottom medal? I’m in the process of building a 6.5 PRC on an Orgin short action and have come across a couple different options. Do either of these happen to be a Manners or AG composites stocks?? Thanks!

Quick question! What stocks are you using for these two builds?? And what bottom medal? I’m in the process of building a 6.5 PRC on an Orgin short action and have come across a couple different options. Do either of these happen to be a Manners or AG composites stocks?? Thanks!

Looks like a manners EH1 (top) and AG Alpine hunter (bottom).