Big Game Hunt- Fueling your Body

How do you fuel yourself during big game hunts? How do you combine comfort with utility?

I'm prepping for my first big game elk hunt. Not a huge fan of MREs but they certainly get the job done. I prefer em cold.... just easier that way.

In my research... it looks like Mountain House offers some potentially tasty options but they do require hot water. Not quite as easy to mow down, but I'm sure it's worth it at times.

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
I find I'm pretty basic while out in the field whether it's hunting or backpacking. Generally, I follow more low carb, so my foods are:
  • Summer Sausage
  • Nut Butters (Justins Almond Butter/Peanut Butter with Honey)
  • Trail Mix (homemade - almonds, cashews, pistacios, macadamia, craisins, avoid the chocolates)
  • Dehydrated Fruit
  • Spam
  • Hot Sauce
  • Usually a Next Mile Meal for dinner or breakfast. Just depends on how I'm feeling.
There's an awesome list of foods from a caloric density standpoint in the description of the video:
Ultralight Food

WYO_ATL

Lil-Rokslider
I try to keep it pretty basic as well. I always buy things in bulk. It’s cheaper, but I don’t get much variety day to day. I like probars, honey stingers with peanut butter, trail mix, energy chews. Spam singles. A couple fun size candy bars. Ine thing I’m going to try this year is to get more salty options. Everything tends to be so sweet, and it gets old after a few days. Pepperoni slices will probably make their way in to my pack. A couple years ago I made pepperoni rolls for lunch and those were excellent. I just truck camp, so I don’t need to worry about dinners. But in my experience, Peak Refuel meals are hands down better than mtn house. You don’t need hot water to make these meals. I’ve read about ultralight hikers that will put cold water in them over lunch, and by the time supper rolls around, they are rehydrated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snacks/lunch
Homemade deer jerky
Deer summer sausage and crackers
Tortilla with peanut butter, bacon, and honey
Trail mix
Might mix in something like protein bars
Will bring a couple apples for something fresh

Breakfast
Cereal for breakfast with powdered milk
Daily vitamin

Dinner