Big Ear ear protection - review

fwafwow

WKR
As I mentioned in a post in another thread (https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/hearing-protection-at-the-range.368813/post-3752921), I ordered some custom ear plugs from Big Ear and I will share in this thread how the process works, and when I get the product, how they perform.
  1. Customer service. The President (Stone Hood) is incredibly available and responsive. In addition to him helping me narrow my choices (and save me complexity and money), he's consistently quick to reply to the chat feature on their website. He has also been very receptive to each item of feedback provided.
  2. Ordering. This was pretty easy, but I personally think that the names of the plugs could be a bit easier to discern.
    • Heads up - creating an account will not help with tracking your order, etc. I think the account feature is aimed at group/employer purchases.
    • I went with "The One" model, otherwise referred to as the "Best Pistol Range Earplugs". You may do better by watching the intro YT video at the top of the page "Firearms, Hunting and Shooting" under categories. (I skipped the video...)
    • I went with the 1/2 shell (to better fit under my muffs), also got both a solid plug, and a 30dB reduction filter.
    • All in with extras and shipping - $287. (I know - I could buy a million foamies, or quite a bit of ammo, for that price.)
  3. Home impression kit. I can mess up most things, so I was hesitant to use the home impression kit (which was mailed out the next business day following my Sunday afternoon order).
    • This requires someone to help you. Mrs. fwafwow refused to do the task, but I was able to convince my (adult) daughter to help.
    • Warning - the material hardens so fast that it's almost impossible to do both ears with one set of material.
    • After returning my impression, I received a quick email reply to confirm receipt and that they were good.
  4. Delivery time.
    • I may have missed this during the ordering process, but I apparently first learned of the time to make and deliver when I got the email confirm that my impressions had been received and approved. 6-8 weeks. This was really the first bad news/experience - but again, that could be user error.
    • Note also that the email with the time for completion also included the following: "However the build time can change at any time, Due to this being a custom molded product." I'm hoping this is a chance they could be complete earlier, not later.
More to follow.