Better way to pack sleeping bag?

I am stuck with a larger zero degree bag since I get cold easily. I have a Kuiu 3600 bag and would ideally like to not increase bag size because I do a lot of day hunts and don’t like a massive bag

Any other better ways to get pack the sleeping bag?
f3acb4ec1d4fd9694f0790c32127fd11.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T
You know if you buy a bigger bag you can still keep the smaller one for day trips. They are easy to swap.

Good point… most of my hunts would require a larger back. Wondering if a quilt would help get weight/space down but concern about warmth

BeatEater

FNG
I’ve been using the kuiu 3600 for a few years and have gotten my 0 degree bag to fit inside the pump sack for my air pad inside the backpack. Packing it not in a compression sack helps it fill the voids in the bag. I’ve had bad experience carrying soft things on the outside of the pack while going through blow downs and brush, lots of rips. Maybe u could carry some stuff in the load sling?

180ls1

WKR
Good point… most of my hunts would require a larger back. Wondering if a quilt would help get weight/space down but concern about warmth

The LT 5500 weighs less than your 3600.... Probably a good move as previously suggested and it packs down plenty small enough.

A quilt would help also but they can be drafty. I have a ZenBivy, which takes care of that. Its incredible but not the smallest or lightest.

OP
T
I’ve been using the kuiu 3600 for a few years and have gotten my 0 degree bag to fit inside the pump sack for my air pad inside the backpack. Packing it not in a compression sack helps it fill the voids in the bag. I’ve had bad experience carrying soft things on the outside of the pack while going through blow downs and brush, lots of rips. Maybe u could carry some stuff in the load sling?

I just gave this a try but the bag seemed to want to keep expanding as I attempted to continue to fill the bag with the rest of the gear and ended up wanting to just use up the hole 3600 pack lol. Any tips?

BeatEater

FNG
I just gave this a try but the bag seemed to want to keep expanding as I attempted to continue to fill the bag with the rest of the gear and ended up wanting to just use up the hole 3600 pack lol. Any tips?

Ya not sure then. For me putting my bag in the pump sack keeps the expansion down. I put my bag in first at the very bottom of my bag.

Drenalin

WKR
I did a three day winter trip with that pack a couple of years ago and had room for two more days of food. That was with a 30 degree down quilt and a poncho liner, which I don’t imagine take up less space than your bag. But if you can’t get it to work by compressing everything constantly as you pack it, you may try the load shelf. A dry bag around 35 liters will let the bag get tall and wide, relatively, so you can compress it against the frame while still keeping the main pack pulled pretty tight to the frame.

Have you thought about taking a different bag, say a 30° bag and using your puffy jacket and pants inside of it? I know you said you get cold easily, but this is just a thought.

t_carlson

WKR
Kifaru's stuff sacks with the tensioners running around the circumference of the sack will out-compress anything.

I usually put my bag, pad, pillow, and (sometimes) my shelter in sack and compress it all down.

OP
T
Have you thought about taking a different bag, say a 30° bag and using your puffy jacket and pants inside of it? I know you said you get cold easily, but this is just a thought.

Good thought… I did try wearing my puffy one night and got sweaty due to the lack of breath ability. I have the Kuiu ultra down jacket, do other breath better?

OP
T
Kifaru's stuff sacks with the tensioners running around the circumference of the sack will out-compress anything.

I usually put my bag, pad, pillow, and (sometimes) my shelter in sack and compress it all down.

I take it you have the large?

cjdewese

WKR
Not sure if you did this when you tried above, but did you pack your other items 1st then try packing your bag in and around any voids that were left from your other gear? I usually partially zip, then stuff down between my bag and other stuff, then continue towards the top of the bag.

Works for me and keeps my stuff from moving or sloshing at all once I use the compression straps.

Good thought… I did try wearing my puffy one night and got sweaty due to the lack of breath ability. I have the Kuiu ultra down jacket, do other breath better?

I do this with my 30° quilts, there’s a bit more room than in a bag.

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
I never use a stuff sack for my sleeping bag. I have it in a bivy and put the bivy/bag directly into the bottom of my pack. I realize this takes more square inches then using a stuff sack but I also end up with less empty "air space" in my pack so it actually gives me more room. Try it in your pack before you do anything else, it is free

Cyril

FNG
I have used a sea to summit roll top dry bag. Put the sleep system in it, lay on top to compress it flat, roll and seal the top. Then the flat rectangular bag loads nicely on my exo load shelf.

jchamwv

FNG
I would stuff the (loose)bag into the bottom of your pack and then everything else can go on top. I have a 0 degree Western mountaineering bag that will compress down to the size of a football.