Better to Draw a tag to hunt every couple years? Or wait to cash in big at hard to draw area?

Yep a ONE. And that’s most likely a tranny! Don’t be comparing your montana/Wyoming general tag to colorados Otc tag. 😉
Montana isn’t always easy. I remember in the mid 2000s when the wolves were at their worst. Elk were quiet and hard to find. But I knew the area so well that if there were only 2-3 bulls around I’d kill one of them. If I were forced to hunt Colorado I’d find my spot. But I’d take it seriously. No e-scouting. I’d be driving out there and putting some mileage on my boots during the off season. I’d also be making it a point to network with some good people. Colorado has the largest elk herd of any state right? Ok then…

Ucsdryder

WKR
Montana isn’t always easy. I remember in the mid 2000s when the wolves were at their worst. Elk were quiet and hard to find. But I knew the area so well that if there were only 2-3 bulls around I’d kill one of them. If I were forced to hunt Colorado I’d find my spot. But I’d take it seriously. No e-scouting. I’d be driving out there and putting some mileage on my boots during the off season. I’d also be making it a point to network with some good people. Colorado has the largest elk herd of any state right? Ok then…
Well if you want a challenge…the otc tags are pretty easy to get in Colorado!

Mojave

WKR
I put in for my home state for all species then do 4 others for as many tags i can afford

Mojave

WKR
I put in for my home state for all species then do 4 others for as many tags i can afford
Also do OIL tags in state and out. The more money I contribute to it the more tags i get. I drew 3 tags this year coues in NM antelope in Wyoming and cranes here.

Montana is a haul free m here so itbis point’s only

Calbuck

WKR
I choose to use every opportunity I can to be in the woods..you never know what life will throw at you and we aren't guaranteed any amount of time. Go out and get those life experiences! Don't wait a lifetime for something that you can do every year. Plan it so you have one Once In a Lifetime hunt and go balls out for hunts all over if you can. That's my plan. Take it for what its worth..

metau

FNG
Save points for a special hunt in a state that does bonus points, not preference points. You'll never catch up to preference points. Put in for multiple states every year and spread out your draw odds so you draw a different stare every year. If you don't draw, go OTC. If you draw two in a year, oh darn!

Laramie

WKR
Word of caution... what appears to be a hunt you can draw every few years will be considered a premium tag 10-15 years from now. I can think of many hunts that were 0 or 1 point just a decade ago that are requiring 5-10 points now.

Bottom line, nothing is a given. Treat each tag like it is an oil tag because it just might be.

Last edited:

Jethro6x6

FNG
Every year, you gotta be young to be wondering 10 years down the road,,, let me assure you,, 10-12 years does a lot to a body,,, do not wait,,,,,,
The mountain, like the ocean never gets tired or calms down,, we wear out,,,,

Get em

OP
G

GodSpeed1

Lil-Rokslider
Word of caution... what appears to be a hunt you can draw every few years will be considered a premium tag 10-15 years from now. I can think of many hunts that were 0 or 1 point just a decade ago that are requiring 5-10 points now.

Bottom line, nothing is a given. Treat each tag like it is an oil tag because it just might be.
That’s the best advice I have heard . In your opinion , Would you say it’s wise to have that same mindset , & treat even an otc unit as an oil opportunity?

Laramie

WKR
That’s the best advice I have heard . In your opinion , Would you say it’s wise to have that same mindset , & treat even an otc unit as an oil opportunity?
I have seen so much opportunity decline over the last 40 years of hunting that I treat every hunt like I may not be able to do it again. As your body declines and opportunities become fewer and further between, you get a different perspective. It goes by quickly so yes, my recommendation is to put maximum effort into even the hunts that seem like they are easy to go on every year. Some day soon that won't be possible.

I used to get an elk tag every year, multiple antelope over the counter, and multiple mule deer tags. I took those years for granted. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the heck out of it but I never viewed them like I do now.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've been a CO resident my entire life and have been chasing big game for 40+ years. I chose a long time ago which route I take.......I hunt as often as I can with whatever decent tags I can get. I don't need that 20+ point unit to have great hunts chasing great bulls. Deer on the other hand........I have 18 points now even after drawing and turning in a tag twice, so would have 20 now. And I'd trade those points for 5 elk points today.......maybe even 2 or 3.......or 1. :unsure:

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been with people who burned 20point and came home to a nice cold bowl of tag soup to eat.

Opportunities mean more to me than hope of one day getting that mythical 400inch elk. My hunting life has been about learning. And learning comes from putting boots on sides of mountains.

That said, I refuse to hunt OTC Colorado anymore. Too many Texans and wannabe Cam Haynes in the field at one time for my tastes. Note - i am a Texan and fully admit Texans account for 40-50% of people ruining elk hunting in Colorado…

Jethro6x6

FNG
I’ve been with people who burned 20point and came home to a nice cold bowl of tag soup to eat.

Opportunities mean more to me than hope of one day getting that mythical 400inch elk. My hunting life has been about learning. And learning comes from putting boots on sides of mountains.

That said, I refuse to hunt OTC Colorado anymore. Too many Texans and wannabe Cam Haynes in the field at one time for my tastes. Note - i am a Texan and fully admit Texans account for 40-50% of people ruining elk hunting in Colorado…
curious,, what do "Texas " do that Floridians or other do not do? or is it that there are just many more Texans,,,?

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
curious,, what do "Texas " do that Floridians or other do not do? or is it that there are just many more Texans,,,?

I was being a bit facetious. That said…

Numbers… 10 years ago there was not anywhere near the amount of hunters in the field. Now, 95% of license plates you see at any given trailhead in an OTC unit in Colorado are from Texas. Particularly, in southern OTC units. I bet it’s part of reason why most of the units surrounding pagossa have gone to draw for archery hunts…

Jethro6x6

FNG
Numbers… 10 years ago there was not anywhere near the amount of hunters in the field. Now, 95% of license plates you see at any given trailhead in an OTC unit in Colorado are from Texas. Particularly, in southern OTC units. I bet it’s part of reason why most of the units surrounding pagossa have gone to draw for archery hunts…
I thought it to be the case,, last time I was there was like 93--wow,, too bad too,, crowded to me = shiddy ,,,,,back then,, in the wilderness,, no hikers,, no bikers,, nutt n - just peace,,,,, Thankful I got to see it,,,

OP
G

GodSpeed1

Lil-Rokslider
I was walking a ridge in an OTC a week ago just praying for any opportunity didn't care antlered or not. I just seen my dad come up empty on his muzzleloader hunt that he saved up 16 points to draw. He had one shot opportunity at a good bull and missed. That confirms it for me. Meat hunting is how I will view it from now on. Horns are a bonus. Thanks 4 y'alls advice & god be with you