Better late than never - from Idaho

groc426

FNG
Whoops! Missed the introduction forum.

I consider myself as new to "real" hunting (see also: not road hunting). I've never actually shot a big game animal and hope this year will provide some opportunities. Either way, I love to use it as an excuse to get out, explore, and appreciate God's great creation. I live in Idaho Falls so I will be primarily hunting the SE Idaho area.

Plan for this first year is to apply for pronghorn (doe), OTC deer & elk, as well as bear (already working on this one). The only thing I know anything about are mule deer, so I'm really attempting to scout and learn about elk. I've been out a handful of times this year, but still can't seem to find them. Luckily for me, I still have a while before the season starts. We've also just purchased a child carrier pack for my 9 mo old daughter, so she will get the pleasure of going on some scouting trips with her old man.

I feel lucky to be a part of this great forum. This is by far my favorite forum! I've appreciated everyone's help and encouragement, and hope to be able to pay it forward.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
welcome groc426 and good to have another SE Idaho hunter on here.
Lots of elk east and north and SE of Idaho Falls, some draw, some general. For most, where they are now isn't where they'll be this fall.
You can apply for the draws this month. Some pretty good bulls in the Diamond Creek and Island Park zones if you want to apply for those units. If you'll get out and scout, you'll find them.

2rocky

WKR
Welcome. Your daughter is lucky to grow up in an outdoor family. I've often looked at that country around Palisades and imagined chasing elk there.someday soon I'll make the trip..

OP
G

groc426

FNG
Thanks for the welcomes everyone.

Robby - Thank you for the tips! My hopes of scouting this early is just to learn behavior. I can make a lot of assumptions about them, but the reality is I know nothing of their habits, patterns, and so forth. My plan of attack is to scout the Tex Creek and Palisades areas heavily this summer to get a good, general idea of the areas. I then plan to finish the summer with a couple of scouting trips out in Unit 63. I know its an odd ball unit and is heavily occupied by the INEEL, but I'm extremely curious about the elk here and truth-be-told, I enjoy the sagebrush as much as I enjoy the mountains. I just don't know what the hunting experience will be like. My plan was to put in for a pronghorn draw, but now you have me thinking about the Diamond Creek and Island Park area for elk, hmmm...

2rocky - If I figure this all out and you make a trip to Palisades let me know and I'll try to help you out as much as possible.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
groc426,
you can apply for both elk and pronghorn. In fact I would, as odds of drawing both are slim slim.
63 and the other desert units (53, 68) produce some pretty good bulls and could be a fun hunt. Look at the pronghorn hunts out there, too. Gotta scout for the elk and the pronghorns, but that sounds like no problem to you. All the best.

OP
G

groc426

FNG
groc426,
you can apply for both elk and pronghorn.

I did not realize this! Thought I could put in for one controlled hunt a year, but I see now that I can put in for each species. Thank you robby! Elk, pronghorn, and deer it is!