Best zeiss scope around 1500$ for hunting and a bit of range shooting suggestions please!

OP
Plumbeeer

Plumbeeer

FNG
Klassik Variable 3-12x42 or x50. ~$1300. Perfect Louisiana woods scope with the right stuff for those longer gas/power line shots.

(I am originally from South Louisiana so know exactly the type of hunting you are doing.)
You are rite lol pipe lines highlines and swamp and the big woods near Mississippi lol

sdupontjr

WKR
Mine also has the elevation turret. I picked mine up second hand in mint condition. There are deals to be found if your patient. The Klassik is also nice. I had a 2.5-10x56 on a custom Rem 700 308 but sold the whole rig.
20181101_182829.jpg

Farwest

FNG
The Zeiss LRP S3 4x25x50 is fantastic. You can find them on sale for around $1850, sometimes cheaper.
The scope is illuminated and has fantastic glass. I also like Leupold M5 3.6x18x44, you can find them for less than the MSRP.

Breddoch

Lil-Rokslider
I would try to find a used v6 in 3-18. Don’t let the Zeiss haters get in your head! 🤣

Marshfly

WKR
If a little is good, a lot must be better!
Only if you never practice shooting or only ever shoot from a rock solid bench. I used to think the same thing when I hunted down there. Now that I truly have the opportunity for long shots and practice them, A LOT, I realize that less is more. 6-10x is more than enough for 600-800 yards. Any more only makes wobble worse and spotting shots impossible. Even those bench shots are easier and more consistent with less magnification if you try it.

sdupontjr

WKR
I would try to find a used v6 in 3-18. Don’t let the Zeiss haters get in your head! 🤣
Actually had that one as well. Ha. Sold it and picked up the Polar. It really depends on his style of hunting. If it strictly powerlines and open fields, where low light isn't an issue, the get a nightforce. Dialing and reliability are top notch. IF low light comes into play, then all best are off because my buddies Nightforce NXS fades quick when the sun goes down.

The main difference in the SB and others is the illumination. The SB illumination on the Polar is barely daytime visible. If I remember correctly, the Klassik is also. Where this shines is the fact when the sun sets, or its in very low light conditions, the illumination can be turned down so low that it doesn't overpower your pupil, thus blinding you. The Polar's illuminated dot is like a pin prick. So faint, however in very low light conditions like South Louisiana, even on its lowest setting, its very visible.

Posicon on the turrets is nothing more than an indication of the range of the turret. Its colored to allow you to basically set the optic at "center" so that you get both left and right, up and down equally. Mine utilizes a lockable elevation turret with a slide lock. It locks the turret from moving in either direction, unlike a Zero stop.

Where in Louisiana are you hunting?

This is new but can be found cheaper used in great condition.

Last edited:
OP
Plumbeeer

Plumbeeer

FNG
I see it posted and I too wonder why Zeiss? I'm a Louisiana guy, as I see in your post. I hunt hardwoods as well as open fields. I decided to go with the best low light optic that I could swing and settled on the Schmidt Bender Polar T96 4-16x56. By hunting in Louisiana, you follow the 30min after sunset rules as I do. Problem is at sunset, my woods are so thick that you can hardly see, much less 30 min after sunset. This optic can easily put me in jail for staying out hunting waaayyyy pass legal times. So if your not limited to Zeiss, consider this one. My shot too are from around 40-300 yards, but I'm sure that 16x can get you to 600 yards.
View attachment 740146
Do u know if the posicon is good?
Actually had that one as well. Ha. Sold it and picked up the Polar. It really depends on his style of hunting. If it strictly powerlines and open fields, where low light isn't an issue, the get a nightforce. Dialing and reliability are top notch. IF low light comes into play, then all best are off because my buddies Nightforce NXS fades quick when the sun goes down.

The main difference in the SB and others is the illumination. The SB illumination on the Polar is barely daytime visible. If I remember correctly, the Klassik is also. Where this shines is the fact when the sun sets, or its in very low light conditions, the illumination can be turned down so low that it doesn't overpower your pupil, thus blinding you. The Polar's illuminated dot is like a pin prick. So faint, however in very low light conditions like South Louisiana, even on its lowest setting, its very visible.

Posicon on the turrets is nothing more than an indication of the range of the turret. Its colored to allow you to basically set the optic at "center" so that you get both left and right, up and down equally. Mine utilizes a lockable elevation turret with a slide lock. It locks the turret from moving in either direction, unlike a Zero stop.

Where in Louisiana are you hunting?

This is new but can be found cheaper used in great condition.

OP
Plumbeeer

Plumbeeer

FNG
The posicon is the same polar scope except the way its turrets are?

sdupontjr

WKR
Posicon
Posicon.JPG

Elevation Turret with lock (mine)
turret.JPG

What the posicon allows you to do is basically know where your current elevation is and "about" how much adjustment you have left. Say you want to install a 20moa rail. In order to get a zero of 100 yards (if you choose to do so), the posicon indicator will show you how much adjustment you have left in order to get a 100 yard zero. The closer it get to the red in any direction, the less adjustment you have. Its bacically the same as any turret on any optic, but this allows you to physically see where the optic is in its adjustment. As far as windage, "IF" you have mounts with windage screws. This will allow you to use the windage screws of the mount to somewhat center the posicon indicator so that you have both equal left and right adjustment.

If all that makes sense.

OP
Plumbeeer

Plumbeeer

FNG
Posicon
View attachment 740605

Elevation Turret with lock (mine)
View attachment 740606

What the posicon allows you to do is basically know where your current elevation is and "about" how much adjustment you have left. Say you want to install a 20moa rail. In order to get a zero of 100 yards (if you choose to do so), the posicon indicator will show you how much adjustment you have left in order to get a 100 yard zero. The closer it get to the red in any direction, the less adjustment you have. Its bacically the same as any turret on any optic, but this allows you to physically see where the optic is in its adjustment. As far as windage, "IF" you have mounts with windage screws. This will allow you to use the windage screws of the mount to somewhat center the posicon indicator so that you have both equal left and right adjustment.

If all that makes sense.

Thank u!