Best vest- aerolite vest vs pnuma alpha vertix vs cheap fleece

I went to scheels to grab am aerolite vest and I stumbled into a whole new world of Pnuma. While I don't love the camo....

I put on the alpha vertix vest and I have to say I'm intrigued.

Here's what I'm looking for- I have a soft shell"ish" old simms hoodie that I had my mother in law remove the sleeves on. It's not the style prior to the simms rogue and it's moderately wind proof and has a hood.

I really want a vest that I can wear as an outer layer for deer, geese and possibly elk, and a mid layer in the late season for whitetails when stand hunting.

I really want to snap up the aerolite vest but after trying on the alpha vertix I'm so intrigued that now I can't stop thinking that it might be the way to go because it could act as a softshell ish type of vest in the early season and should act as a mid layer in the later in the year.

However. I keep thinking that an inexpensive fleece vest would be fine as a midlayer. I don't know if it will be as warm as either option, but it will for surely be quiet. I want the cool guy gear, but if that 200$ for the aerolite vest or 100 for the alpha vertix isn't going to really be "better" than I guess I'll try a cheap fleece

Anybody use a vest as a mid layer that can weigh in on these pieces?

I bought a soft shell Kings Camo vest in a solid graphite color from Sportsmans Warehouse for i think $45. No joking, there is zero perceivable difference to me between it and my $160 Kuiu Guide vest i bought a few years ago. I’ve been wearing over a mid weight 1/4 zip fleece in 30-45 degree weather during off season scouting.

As an aside, i bought one of those Condor 1/4 zip grid fleeces from Amazon for $24 in black based on a thread here. It’s also pretty much exactly the same as my $125 First Lite Klamath. The FL is no way worth $100 more imo.

I realize Sitka, FL, Kuiu, etc are “name brand” gear and as such will cost more but imo they are obscenely over priced. Really i think they are price gouging but i guess you can’t blame them if people will pay those prices. I mean, i was one of those guys myself for a long time as i have a TON of First Lite and Kuiu stuff as i thought it was giving me an advantage or was somehow better in some way. Well, with recent inflation being what it is i decided to give some other cheaper options a try and have to say it’s been eye opening that i $24 grid fleece has proven to be performing as well as a $125 dollar FL Klamath. Or the Kings Camo vest being identical to a $160 Kuiu Vest. I don’t mind spending money but i HATE blowing money.

I think i’m done with the big brands for the most part. I say try the cheaper vest i’d bet you won’t be disappointed and you can throw in a grid fleece to go with it with all the money you saved.

OP
E
I bought a soft shell Kings Camo vest in a solid graphite color from Sportsmans Warehouse for i think $45. No joking, there is zero perceivable difference to me between it and my $160 Kuiu Guide vest i bought a few years ago. I’ve been wearing over a mid weight 1/4 zip fleece in 30-45 degree weather during off season scouting.

As an aside, i bought one of those Condor 1/4 zip grid fleeces from Amazon for $24 in black based on a thread here. It’s also pretty much exactly the same as my $125 First Lite Klamath. The FL is no way worth $100 more imo.

I realize Sitka, FL, Kuiu, etc are “name brand” gear and as such will cost more but imo they are obscenely over priced. Really i think they are price gouging but i guess you can’t blame them if people will pay those prices. I mean, i was one of those guys myself for a long time as i have a TON of First Lite and Kuiu stuff as i thought it was giving me an advantage or was somehow better in some way. Well, with recent inflation being what it is i decided to give some other cheaper options a try and have to say it’s been eye opening that i $24 grid fleece has proven to be performing as well as a $125 dollar FL Klamath. Or the Kings Camo vest being identical to a $160 Kuiu Vest. I don’t mind spending money but i HATE blowing money.

I think i’m done with the big brands for the most part. I say try the cheaper vest i’d bet you won’t be disappointed and you can throw in a grid fleece to go with it with all the money you saved.
I get that sentiment- i hate blowing money too, but I really hate re buying another piece of gear when I didn't buy the right one first.

How is the quality on kings? I've never handled that brand much so I'm mostly unfamiliar.

Bump79

WKR
I've checked it out. Looks nice. I have Pnuma rain gear and I'm impressed so far. Pnuma has 25% to 30% off sales all the time.

The Alpha Vertix is Evolve insulation from Primaloft. Same as the new Sitka Ambient jacket. Difference is the outer layer is less breathable than the Ambient. It really depends on what you want.

OP
E
I've checked it out. Looks nice. I have Pnuma rain gear and I'm impressed so far. Pnuma has 25% to 30% off sales all the time.

The Alpha Vertix is Evolve insulation from Primaloft. Same as the new Sitka Ambient jacket. Difference is the outer layer is less breathable than the Ambient. It really depends on what you want.
I can't quite tell what the outer is on the pnuma alpha vertix vest... it sounds decently quiet but not silent. I had it on at scheels for a while and it's definitely warm. I was genuinely impressed.

I think I could layer it over my traverse cold weather and under my jetstream. Not sure how active I could be in it though.

Seems like it would be decently durable too

Anybody used the jacket or vest?

NXTZ

Lil-Rokslider
I can't quite tell what the outer is on the pnuma alpha vertix vest... it sounds decently quiet but not silent. I had it on at scheels for a while and it's definitely warm. I was genuinely impressed.

I think I could layer it over my traverse cold weather and under my jetstream. Not sure how active I could be in it though.

Seems like it would be decently durable too

Anybody used the jacket or vest?
I ordered the alpha vertix jacket a while ago, a big draw was the advertised quietness of the piece. I liked it, but didn’t love it. The face fabric was louder than I was hoping for (if it was 50% quieter I would‘Ve probably kept it). I think my jet stream (newest version) is significantly quieter. I liked the insulation and windproof material, and it definitely felt more durable than most other insulation pieces.

I am in a similar quest for a vest as you, and the alpha vertix vest was tempting. Without sleeves I figured the material noise would be less of an issue (less rubbing). I ended up going with the new kuiu axis thermal hybrid. Hopefully it arrives this week. I’ll evaluate it for noise (I don’t expect silence, just want to be able to move in it without fabric noise) and warmth. I’ll post up my initial thoughts once I have it.

I get that sentiment- i hate blowing money too, but I really hate re buying another piece of gear when I didn't buy the right one first.

How is the quality on kings? I've never handled that brand much so I'm mostly unfamiliar.
Well, mind you this vest is the only thing i own from Kings Camo as i just started looking at and experimenting with cheaper options this year. So i’m not real familiar with the brand either. But owning both a Kuiu Guide vest and the Kings camo i can compare the two directly. There is no difference between the two as to feel, warmth, quality of the stitches, etc. The only thing i can’t comment on is longevity being i’ve only had it a few months. So that’s yet to be seen.

But for $110 less i don’t regret buying it for a second. I’ve been wearing it daily pretty much every where i go.

OP
E
I ordered the alpha vertix jacket a while ago, a big draw was the advertised quietness of the piece. I liked it, but didn’t love it. The face fabric was louder than I was hoping for (if it was 50% quieter I would‘Ve probably kept it). I think my jet stream (newest version) is significantly quieter. I liked the insulation and windproof material, and it definitely felt more durable than most other insulation pieces.

I am in a similar quest for a vest as you, and the alpha vertix vest was tempting. Without sleeves I figured the material noise would be less of an issue (less rubbing). I ended up going with the new kuiu axis thermal hybrid. Hopefully it arrives this week. I’ll evaluate it for noise (I don’t expect silence, just want to be able to move in it without fabric noise) and warmth. I’ll post up my initial thoughts once I have it.
Ah man that is exactly how I felt too! I am so intrigued but it just wasn't as quiet as I'd hoped. When up get your axis thermal you'll have to let me know what you think

OP
E
Well, mind you this vest is the only thing i own from Kings Camo as i just started looking at and experimenting with cheaper options this year. So i’m not real familiar with the brand either. But owning both a Kuiu Guide vest and the Kings camo i can compare the two directly. There is no difference between the two as to feel, warmth, quality of the stitches, etc. The only thing i can’t comment on is longevity being i’ve only had it a few months. So that’s yet to be seen.

But for $110 less i don’t regret buying it for a second. I’ve been wearing it daily pretty much every where i go.
I appreciate your honesty and I will give the Kings vest a legit look. Thanks for the recommendation!

I think you should look at the Gulch Gear Inceptor vest. It would work as an outer and mid layer for both deer and elk. I would only wear it a mid layer for geese. It's warm, breathes great, quiet, fits nice, layers well and has great pockets.

I think you should look at the Gulch Gear Inceptor vest. It would work as an outer and mid layer for both deer and elk. I would only wear it a mid layer for geese. It's warm, breathes great, quiet, fits nice, layers well and has great pockets.

I really want to try this vest out but haven't pulled the trigger. I returned an aerolite because the fit was weird for me

NXTZ

Lil-Rokslider
Ah man that is exactly how I felt too! I am so intrigued but it just wasn't as quiet as I'd hoped. When up get your axis thermal you'll have to let me know what you think
So I’ve had a couple days with this piece, and while I like it, I’m not sure it’d be quiet enough for what you’re after as the fabric is certainly louder than the alpha vertix. That being said, I found the fit to be perfect, and it’s so dang comfortable and warm that I’m going to keep it, and just layer it under a fleece when noise is a concern. I doubt the noise level then would be an issue beyond 10 yards. It’s about average noise for a puffy jacket material, but feels more durable. It’s also windproof, light, and packs down to about the size a Nalgene.

Overall, it initially feels like almost everything I wanted in a vest-warm, wind proof, minimal bulk, and seems decently durable. I think/hope the noise will lessen with use and not be an issue when layered. I get cold like a b****, so for me it’s a good choice. I’ll probably reach for it over my Keani vest for anything under 50 degrees.

OP
E
So I’ve had a couple days with this piece, and while I like it, I’m not sure it’d be quiet enough for what you’re after as the fabric is certainly louder than the alpha vertix. That being said, I found the fit to be perfect, and it’s so dang comfortable and warm that I’m going to keep it, and just layer it under a fleece when noise is a concern. I doubt the noise level then would be an issue beyond 10 yards. It’s about average noise for a puffy jacket material, but feels more durable. It’s also windproof, light, and packs down to about the size a Nalgene.

Overall, it initially feels like almost everything I wanted in a vest-warm, wind proof, minimal bulk, and seems decently durable. I think/hope the noise will lessen with use and not be an issue when layered. I get cold like a b****, so for me it’s a good choice. I’ll probably reach for it over my Keani vest for anything under 50 degrees.
I was surprised at the noise to be honest. I think the face is 30d nylon- the same as my mdwi and that is whisper quiet. It must be the windstopper membrane I would guess?