Best Value

Benjblt

WKR
I need some help guys. . I want to purchase a pack system by the end of the year. I want something that will get me out to 5 days of hunting out of the pack. Light weight, function, durability, and value are my main concerns. I'd like to keep it under 6 pounds and spend less than $500. My original plan was to buy a Kuiu 7200 and 1850 on the 30% off sale, with just one frame.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
You're better off upping your price and going with kifaru or stone glacier or exo. A lot depends on your purpose and taste.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

What he said^^^^ make the right purchase the first time. Browse the classified section and get yourself a quality American made pack. I'd recommend Exo and Kifaru. You can find an Exo pack or Kifaru setup for $500 or less- you'll be glad you did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I am a mystery ranch guy in the midst of a Kifaru conversion. Woodsman and reckoning are going to be my new packs.

If I were trying to get the most bang for my buck, a used Dana designs pack or a marine FILBE are a hell of a deal on eBay. For $500 or less I would be looking at A used MR pack on a nice frame or a Used Kifaru. Find some idiot gear nerd like me that is dumping a perfectly good pack for the latest new thing. You will get something lightly used for half of retail if you shop right.

Not my favorite pack but if you can get a Kuiu during one of their 25%-30% off sales I think it's a good value.

handwerk

WKR
For the best value I'd also go with either kifaru, exo or stone glacier and as you have time on your side just wait for the right pack to come up used and save some dough. In the mean time I'd try and look at each one of them in person and try them on.

You can probably pick up a kifaru bikini frame off the forums for $250 and a high camp for $175. Boom. Great pack. Great frame. Under budget. Upgrade the kifaru setup later if you want.

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a Kifaru UL frame and an Argali for right around $500. I added a few pockets. The Argali without a lid would get you out to 5 days and is super light. Eventually I'm gonna add a guide lid and maybe a spotter pocket, but for now it will do everything I need.
I have also used a MR Metcalf that I would highly recommend. Seems like used MR's go for ~$350
Both great packs.
Before the MR I was using an older Kuiu pack. I liked it and never had any issues as well. I would not consider them in the same ballpark as MR or Kifaru though. My .02.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I'm a big fan of Kifaru packs and also used Stone glacier quite a bit last year. I would recommend checking out either one of those along with Exo packs to see which you like best. Another pack to check out which surprised me when I checked it out at Shot show is the Slumberjack Bounty 2.0. It was well laid out and seamed to be well made. It also had a great belt on it which is very important.

Matt Cashell tested one last year and should have an article coming out on it soon I believe.

bhylton

WKR
If the frame on that bounty 2.0 is any good with heavy loads i think it will be an exceptional value.

JWP58

WKR
Another pack to check out which surprised me when I checked it out at Shot show is the Slumberjack Bounty 2.0. It was well laid out and seamed to be well made. It also had a great belt on it which is very important.

Matt Cashell tested one last year and should have an article coming out on it soon I believe.

Hmm looks like they really made some improvements from the first issues. That seems to have pretty nice features and they list the weight at only 6lbs and change. Looks like some weight could be trimmed off too.

Tsnider

WKR
I'm a big fan of Kifaru packs and also used Stone glacier quite a bit last year. I would recommend checking out either one of those along with Exo packs to see which you like best. Another pack to check out which surprised me when I checked it out at Shot show is the Slumberjack Bounty 2.0. It was well laid out and seamed to be well made. It also had a great belt on it which is very important.

i had the first generation and it was decent until it was heavy. i didnt find that pack to be comfortable at all, but they released successor pretty quick so they may have addressed the issue. ive since sold it and gotten the EMRii. if for some reason i had to have a low bag again i would give the newest version a try.

Akicita

WKR
I need some help guys. . I want to purchase a pack system by the end of the year. I want something that will get me out to 5 days of hunting out of the pack. Light weight, function, durability, and value are my main concerns. I'd like to keep it under 6 pounds and spend less than $500. My original plan was to buy a Kuiu 7200 and 1850 on the 30% off sale, with just one frame.

I would give careful consideration to the Seek Outside Line also. I'm running the Unaweep Fortress 6300 with Multi Lid and Talon that puts it at about 7600 ci. Empty weight is 4 lbs 3 oz and I have carried some very heavy loads comfortably both in the pack and as a freighter. The picture below is a 10 day load out of gear for a Colorado high country elk hunt with 8 days of food.

20161020_075925_zpsnlurn4e3.jpg

When you start talking packs it always gets a little controversial and personal. Backcountry guys are so committed their packs. They should be and that is great. It is certainly one of the most crucial pieces of gear you can have for the backcountry. I would tend to put boots first, but pack a close second.

The good news is you have a lot of great choices, these days. Not many years ago the picking was slim.

Just my personal opinion, but you can't go wrong with any on this list... If you find one of these used, you are looking good.

1. Kuiu (personally I'm running the Icon 5200 at the moment)
2. Kifaru (They are amazing, but they can get very spendy, but nice)
3. ExoMountain (I have lots of friends that LOVE this pack)
4. Mystery Ranch ( I know lots of guys loves these)
5. Stone Glacier (there are some very skilled hunters that use and love these)

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
I would give careful consideration to the Seek Outside Line also. I'm running the Unaweep Fortress 6300 with Multi Lid and Talon that puts it at about 7600 ci. Empty weight is 4 lbs 3 oz and I have carried some very heavy loads comfortably both in the pack and as a freighter. The picture below is a 10 day load out of gear for a Colorado high country elk hunt with 8 days of food.

20161020_075925_zpsnlurn4e3.jpg
What does it mean to "use as a freighter?"

HOT ROD

WKR
I have owned Eberlestock Exo and now a Kifaru. The eberle was heavy no load lifters. The exo was good. It was light, load lifters worked for me. The kifaru is light, load lifters work. The waist belt and lumbar pad is so comfortable. On the kifaru ultra lite frame and high camp 7000. The straps and buckles are heavy duty. I could of saved sum money. If I would of bought a good pack the first time. I will say this. I would still be running my exo. If my dog wouldn't of chewed the crap out of mine. Because it had sum elk blood on it... Save sum money. And bye the right pack the first time. U can pick up a used pack from this site.

Trial153

WKR
I am not a big kuiu guy at all. That said the icon pro at 30% off is a very good value. Is it my favorite pack? No, however it's very capable, and hauls a load well enough and with 30% off you'd be hard pressed to find something better new for that price. This is coming purely from a value perspective.

Last edited:

R_burg

WKR
When you start talking packs it always gets a little controversial and personal. Backcountry guys are so committed their packs. They should be and that is great. It is certainly one of the most crucial pieces of gear you can have for the backcountry. I would tend to put boots first, but pack a close second.

The good news is you have a lot of great choices, these days. Not many years ago the picking was slim.

Just my personal opinion, but you can't go wrong with any on this list... If you find one of these used, you are looking good.

1. Kuiu (personally I'm running the Icon 5200 at the moment)
2. Kifaru (They are amazing, but they can get very spendy, but nice)
3. ExoMountain (I have lots of friends that LOVE this pack)
4. Mystery Ranch ( I know lots of guys loves these)
5. Stone Glacier (there are some very skilled hunters that use and love these)

Well said.

This forum is, by and large, a Kifaru forum, so expect to be inundated with rec's for Kifaru. Everyone says Kifaru is the best because, from what I understand, it is.

That being said, I also run a Kuiu and have no issues. I have a 7200+3200 setup and I am less than 500 into it. Their bags are nice, and I doubt many people would disagree. Some people dont like the suspension. For my body type it is fine. Others just dont like the brand, for varying reasons.

IIRC that 30% off sale happens once a year, so you might be waiting a while. 15-20% sales and coupons pop up more often.

Akicita

WKR
What does it mean to "use as a freighter?"

The term "freighter" is used in regard to back packs when you are carrying anything that would not fit in the bag itself. It's done in a means of strapping or lashing an item to the pack frame. The pack I pictured has a system of web strapping and buckle that when used in conjunction with the talon accessory allows you to carry unconventional items such as a plastic tote, tub, pelican case or carcass bag on the outside of the bag instead of in it. You are virtually carrying items like a large freighter ship that has containers lashed to it's deck.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Thanks for all the input. I feel like there is so much to know and I need to try some. I don't have access to any of these packs.

Do any of these provide options to go from a larger pack (on the way into camp) to a smaller day pack? I know kifaru does and Kuiu doesn't.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk