Best state for DIY Mule deer hunting

In all your expert opinions what is the best state for DIY Mule deer, archery or rifle, and why? I guess looking more at quantity/ shot opportunity rather than trophy. Thanks

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, welcome to the slide.

Randy

And a little something to help you in the long run.

Jimss

WKR
Colo used to be totally amazing but the new late rut season rifle dates plus increase in tags is showing a downward trend in quality and quantity.

rolocasi

FNG
Its becoming to be the best State you can get a tag for. No matter the State, if you can get a tag, than that is the best state to hunt muleys DIY. just becoming harder to get a tag anywhere.

TreeDux

FNG
Yes, wherever you can get a tag. I hope to see at least a moderate rebound in the numbers of mule deer across the west in the future but I can’t hold my breath. For now I’m taking any tag I can get and hunting it as hard as possible.

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider
I would tend to agree with the sentiment of starting with your own state and using that to have a tag every year if it has mule deer. I’m just starting to hunt out of state and from my perspective with drawing out of state tags, I’d do 2 things. Make sure your buying bonus points/preference points in every western state that offers it. And get a subscription to a service that will help you understand draw odds like GoHunt. Once you have that, you can start putting together a strategy every winter on how you’re going to enter draws and scout based on where you have the greatest odds.

Other than that, I like to hunt mule deer in the terrain that I like to hunt them in. I’m not going out to pay a shit load of money for a tag in a unit that has vegetation and terrain that I am gonna hate hunting.

Hnthrdr

WKR
CO’s mulies are hurting, definitely not the best state for them anymore. Try Wyoming, Utah, or Arizona

cqh1111

FNG
I’ve hunted WY, CO, ID and MT in the past. WY is best with CO second. The winter kill in WY definitely didn’t help this year.

jimmy33

WKR
1. CO
2. WY
3. MT
4. UT
5. AZ
6. NM
7. ID
8. OR
9. WA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. CO
2. WY
3. MT
4. UT
5. AZ
6. NM
7. ID
8. OR
9. WA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Montana sucks for mule deer.... It's only slightly better than OR or WA because those clowns sure love coming to the Hi-Line and wacking every forken horn they see
Though my buddy did shoot a 180 this year after a lifetime of trying.